Work Advice

Artfuldodger

A $6,500 raise is a pretty good raise regardless of what your peers are making. I'm sure that does come with a lot more headaches and responsibilities.
I think I'd have to hang around a bit longer for that kind of money and to build my resume. If after a year it's still eating at you or killing you then hop on that train. You'll have more leverage then.

BeerThirty

Before you take the next train out, have a come to Jesus conversation with your boss and tell him how you really feel. Life’s too short to have regrets. What’s the worse he can do at this point??

ribber

Looks like you equate your stress with head count and responsibility. I have 50 and would take 8 more for $6500 more. :flag:

We all have our deal breakers and mine is time. You didn't mention time, so I guess that's not where you place value.

I would probably bail if my hours went up for $6500, but 8 heads for $6500 sounds ok to me.

Absolutely time at work will increase. Having head count is not really my issue, but that same headcount and much larger area of responsibility will result in more time. And, all the after hours phone calls. Going forward, I'll never really have a day off.

ribber

[/COLOR]
Actually, folks that do a good job get 8 people put under them and a $6500 raise..... and about a 1,000 more headaches ;)

If you DIDN'T know what your peers made would you be satisfied with what they are paying you for the position?
That's the real question.
If the answer is no then taking the next train out is probably a good decision.

I'm not sure if I would be satisfied if I didn't know their salaries. Probably not.

We have a org chart like most companies, and the higher up the chart, the more resonsibility, pay, etc. My manager reports to the General manager who is at the top. At the level I am at now, the next closest salary to me is over $20K more than my new salary. Some are much more than that.
And, they were very crafty how they handled this. This isn't a new/different position for me, but they instead expanded on my current position by adding another area of the mill and shifted the reporting structures of some employees. They knew that I couldn't refuse the offer, because it was already my job. Basically, I had no leverage.

ClemsonRangers

I would take the training, keep my head down, keep moving forward for the next two years. They know you are a key contributor. Change is constant and if you work hard you usually end up in a better place. Good luck!

glynr329

Be a little patient you just took over 8 people. You have a lot to learn. I have taken every opportunity I could and glad I did.

ryanh487

Update your resume and get it out on the internet. Monster.com, linked in, etc. Head hunters are always looking for management.

ribber

Update your resume and get it out on the internet. Monster.com, linked in, etc. Head hunters are always looking for management.

I've wondered about that. Do people actually get jobs from recruiters on sites like LinkedIn? I'm on LinkedIn and have been contacted a couple of times by headhunters, but nothing came of it. I just have a basic profile on there, nothing detailed.

ryanh487

I've wondered about that. Do people actually get jobs from recruiters on sites like LinkedIn? I'm on LinkedIn and have been contacted a couple of times by headhunters, but nothing came of it. I just have a basic profile on there, nothing detailed.

Put details. Connect with folks from various agencies and well known companies. I've heard of several folks getting jobs through linked in. That's essentially what it's designed for, business networking.

ribber

Delagate the work and just be there to fix the problems.

That's what I do. Problem is this is a 365/24 operation, so there are operators who call at all times with problems to fix. My phone will probably be 'searching for service' a lot more now if you know what I mean.

Of course, I would have been a superstar about it all if the pay equaled the responsibility.

Basically, I'm one of those guys that just plain handles things as opposed to some that scream for help all the time and run around lost looking busy. I guess the perception is that they care more, but the reality is they're incompetent.

I used LI all the time, and I am a giant proponent. YES! People do get (Good) jobs from LI. Above all else: You have a skill that is in demand. Don't let anyone tell you different. Sell yourself to the highest bidder and make no apologies. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER ANSWER THE QUESTION, "HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING NOW?" THAT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. The only reason employers ask is to lowball you. Don't supply W2s either.