Septic Tank Pumped

swamp hunter

I've seen those mound drain fields on the gulf coast. I've never seen them in Georgia. They have them in some northern and western states where the ground is too rocky or the waste water doesn't permeated the ground that well.
Sometimes they freeze. Sometimes their septic tanks freeze or or their pumps freeze. At least you don't have those problems.
What about the pump. I'm familiar with lift stations and chopper pumps. They seem to require a bit of maintenance. I guess one for a house isn't too bad. Does it have an alarm to let you know if it isn't working?

I have a 30 gal plastic drum with the pump inside , came as a Kit. No alarm but it,s outside and I'd know if it quit working real quick. Even if it doe's I just hook up 100 ft' of pipe and let it run off into the Palmettos for a day till I get a new pump. Been going on 15 years now and not a bit of a problem.

georgia357

Lots of good information in this old thread. My septic tank backed up last night and cheapest I could find was $600 to get it pumped. :eek:

westcobbdog

its about $350 to pump and get a letter from the septic tank co.

Many buyers agents are writing stuff like "Seller agrees to have septic tanked pumped and inspected and provide receipt within 5 days of closing" so any work a consumer does on the ir tank is a good thing, buying selling or not.

taking a 3HR CE class on all things septic tanks in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Lots of good information in this old thread. My septic tank backed up last night and cheapest I could find was $600 to get it pumped. :eek:
That's high. The problem is probably a saturated drain field. Pumping will be a temporary fix unless this rain quits

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The last 2-3 we had pumped out were $550. We are a commercial customer but the tanks were only 1000 gallon. Athens area.

georgia357

The last 2-3 we had pumped out were $550. We are a commercial customer but the tanks were only 1000 gallon. Athens area.

We hired Steven Carithers out of Madison Co. for $600. After watching what all they had to do and considering that it was two people with a pump truck and back hoe it didn't seem too bad. The owner was pretty good but his helper went the extra mile to get the most out of the tank. Didn't get his name but would like to tip my hat to him.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve had mine pumped twice. First time it was backed up by a sock loaded with a tennis ball. This was when we bought it. Garbage disposal was also removed facepalm:

Second time was about 10 years later as it backed up. WE USE WIPES AND LOTS OF THEM....BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD! But that comes with a price! There was an amazing thick crusty layer on top that I didn’t know they’d get through. I think $350 was a good price and I treat mine regularly. I also had a leak as roots grew into the tank around the intake pipe......the concrete I used to seal the intake hole bunched up a little at the end of the pipe causing another back up. The snake would not bust through so I pulled the lid myself before calling the plumber again. I broke off the concrete and cleared the line without having to get my checkbook out....a little DIY!

012BDC4A-F3A0-4956-93DA-C7AF6299691F.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Do they always take the lid off to pump out tank , I don’t know where mine is .

You can get a drawing of the installation details from your County Environmental Health office. That is assuming it was installed since the 70’s.

Horns

Do they always take the lid off to pump out tank , I don’t know where mine is .
A lot of tanks that have been pumped in the past have a riser installed so you don’t have to dig it up. But you really don’t know how well you get it clean through the riser

Lukikus2

I’ve had mine pumped twice. First time it was backed up by a sock loaded with a tennis ball. This was when we bought it. Garbage disposal was also removed facepalm:

Second time was about 10 years later as it backed up. WE USE WIPES AND LOTS OF THEM....BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD! But that comes with a price! There was an amazing thick crusty layer on top that I didn’t know they’d get through. I think $350 was a good price and I treat mine regularly. I also had a leak as roots grew into the tank around the intake pipe......the concrete I used to seal the intake hole bunched up a little at the end of the pipe causing another back up. The snake would not bust through so I pulled the lid myself before calling the plumber again. I broke off the concrete and cleared the line without having to get my checkbook out....a little DIY!

View attachment 1004133

Holy cow. Most tanks have a plug above each chamber. Not half of the lid. That's crazy.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Holy cow. Most tanks have a plug above each chamber. Not half of the lid. That's crazy.
Believe my house was built in’78 ...
also, my plat map shows the tank location as well as the drain field.....at least where it’s supposed to be. Worst thing about mine is that it is level at best coming from the house to the tank. my plumbing is overhead in the basement so access is convenient. Popping off a cap with full lines was something else! Glad is was washing machine water:wink:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
LT you may find it online looking at your county’s tax assessor link......follow that. Most are user friendly and FREE! If a link wants $its a service, not he official site, if that makes sense.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My advice would be to pump it, when you have problems, or it fills up with solids....
Yep. The one at my Mom's was installed about 1972. It has never been pumped. It still works fine after nearly 50 years.