Do ya'll remember....

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I went to see my sister off on her senior trip to Washington at the train tracks in Luthersville. We had a gravel fight and I got hit right between the eyes. My first experience with butterflies instead of stitches. Then we went to Lagrange and saw Flipper in a swimming pool in the parking lot of Rose's. Then we rode carnival rides and watched a monkey drive a MG convertible. And for the finale we met the midget who said LLLLLLUUUUCCCKKYY FFFIIILLLTTTEEERRRS for the cigarette commercial. We had no idea that we were poor. What a day.

xpertgreg

Party lines

gw

Goatwoman

Clothes

Who on here wore gym shorts and Converse tennis shoes, with knee high white socks that had bright strips around the top?

Besides me:rofl:

My gracious those things were around for a while and yes , I wore them. We called the socks ( Kool-Aid ) socks. My daughter would die if she saw these outfits.

Swede

Oh and the Sears Catalog.

It was pretty much our only view of the outside world.

We would go through that book cover to cover knowing we wouldn't get any of it.

OH YEAH!! Mom would be lookin fer it. Usually in my bedroom with it lookin at the girlie section.

crow

Using the cork from a bottle of Garrett's Sweet Snuff to make a fishing float.

Making arrowheads by folding a bottle cap over the end of a stick with a hammer.

using cardboard to slide down a hill after frost killed the weeds.

Playing "skin the cat" with hickory saplings.

Using a hog's bladder to make a ball (after washing it and blowing it up and tying it off with twine). You could play with that sucker for days! Hog killings were a community event.

Building "forts"

crow

My Friend Flicka
Rin Tin Tin
"From out of the western sky comes.........."
Mighty Mouse

crow

gahawker

the Rolling Store!

belle&bows

Mumbly peg with an old barlow pocket knife

Shootin china berries out of your best flip

Library on wheels during the 3 MONTHS LONG SUMMER BREAKS

crow

GAhawker, how long has it been since I thought about the rolliing store. We used to get seed and flower in big patterned sacks, and Mamaw made clothes and underwear out of them.

That was the only place we could get firecrackers. We'd get five packs of Black Cats for a nickel.

Saving RC bottle caps to go to the movie. Saw "The Hound Who Thought He Was a Racoon" using those caps.

Papaw took his medicine with RC's and threw them under the house through a knot hole on the back porch. Lord, I was a hero to my buddies for getting them all in the picture show.

Oh, yeah, Vivian Castle kissed me on the cheek during "The Hound..." My first kiss! Ain't that sweet?

Georgiagirl

I remember the days when there was no such thing as a dress code...................................

:

We had a dress code. No females could wear pants or jeans. If our skirts looked too short they would stop you in the hall and measure them to make sure they weren't more than 6 inches above the knee. Later in high school they finally let us wear pants but the tempeture had to be so cold and they had to be pant suits with tunics that were long enough to cover our backsides. I think by my senior year we were allowed to wear jeans (no holes, certain color, etc).

Also no holding hands, etc in the hall.

CountryCowboy

Not only the smell of mimeograph paper (and that blue ink they had) but also the name changes over the years - "mimeos", "dittos", "Xeroxes", and now just "copies". Funny the things ya forget about till someone brings it up....