Opinions on the .454 Casull

bcraig

Had one over 20 years ago,was a Finely made gun but the recoil was horrendous!
I had to wear a Light cotton glove so when it rolled in the hand it would not cut me !
Killed quite a few deer with 44 Mags and see absolutely no use for a 454 Casull !
Just my oppinion But I would get either a 45 Colt or a 44 mag,cheaper,recoils less and will kill deer just fine.

Craig

MaBel

The .454 in a Super Redhawk is very manageable. It's not something you'll likely shoot 100 round in one sitting with, but it's not that bad in a Ruger. I'm as comfortable shooting one of those as I am shooting a 29 Smith loaded with magnums. If you want to plink then get some .45 Colt rounds for it. I prefer a .45 to any .44. I have zero interest in a .50 caliber anything.

If you're going to enjoy shooting any caliber other than a 9mm or .22 rimfire, then you'll need to get into loading your own. The recoil of any of them is easier on me, and much less painful than the cost of factory ammo for them.

DeucesWild

The .454 Casull is not for the recoil flinch inclined shooter. A quote: The .454 generates almost 5 times the recoil of the .45 Long Colt, and about 75% more recoil energy than the .44 Magnum. (See the Handgun Recoil Table for specifics.) It is way out of the class of all but the most experienced and recoil tolerant shooters.

X's 2;)

pnome

The Winchester .250gr super x factory loads for .454 are easier to handle and still plenty bad medicine.

Marlin_444

Love the load!

LanceColeman

If ya don't mind the buck, the 454 carries outstanding energy and numbers out where it counts. It's very very efficient in it's bullet size and number. That said, she can be a bit of a wrist wrencher.

If you dont reload? You're looking at a fairly pricey bullet.

Personally I have not ran across a situation yet my 44 mag cannot handle.

If you're looking for something bigger than a 44 mag but concerned with recoil? I got a super redhawk in 480 ruger from a real close friend here on GON and I tell ya right now.... thats a decision I have not regretted on little bit. Wonderful revolver with a big fat heavy bullet that doesn't break your wrist. Now granted she's got more recoil than the 44 mag.... she doesn't have near as much as the 454. And I still have the benefit of 325 plus grain bullets hitting with serious authority.

SCDieselDawg

Ive often wondered about the .480 but they are a bit hard to find both the weapon and the ammo. Ive recently acquired a ruger SBH hunter in .44 mag with a 7.5 in barrel. I think itll be my go to gun for now.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
The 454 Super Redhawk is an awesome combo, a bit ugly but awesome for sure. The 454 will kill an armadillo, above or below ground!

LanceColeman

Ive often wondered about the .480 but they are a bit hard to find both the weapon and the ammo. Ive recently acquired a ruger SBH hunter in .44 mag with a 7.5 in barrel. I think itll be my go to gun for now.

I think your go to gun for now will more than be enough to keep you very happy in the hand gun hunting world. 44 mags are very popular and not hard to find factory ammo for. And trust me they have plenty of stopping power. I shot a 6pt. with one of my 44 mags last season. High shouldered him at around 65yds. He dropped like a toilet seat never to get up again. I was shooting factory 240gr hornaday XTPs. I mention him because it was my longest shot last year.

I Killed 3 last year with that load in the 44 mag. and 3 last year with the 480. Couldn't really tell which ones were the deadest. Only difference I can tell you is high shoulder shots with the 44 mag. dont get exit wounds as to where the 480 leaves an exit you can see daylight through.

Both of the revolvers are Rugers, both have 7.5" barrels.
Handguns are like doritos though..... Hard to have just one.

SCDieselDawg

Handguns are like doritos though..... Hard to have just one.

Amen to that! I grew up as a rifle hunter and by the looke of it a collector also. Now that Handguns and bows are becoming the center of attention the same behavior is following suit there as well!

Boot

Hey dieseldawg. I hunt with the same gun, in 44 mag as well. Mine loves 300gr xtp's. It shoots well with 240's, but at 100yds, it'll lay out 2" groups with the 300's all day.

SCDieselDawg

Thanks Boot!! Im waiting on a scope at the moment but the 300's and the 240 xtp's are on my list to try along with Winchester platinum tips and Hornadys flextipped bullets

LanceColeman

Not to steal SCDiesels thread. But what of the Hornady leverlution 225gr in ruger pistols 44 mag? anyone tried this?

Marlin_444

UH what is a BFR?

This is a BFR "Big Fram Revolver" (Aka Biggest Finest Revolver".

Marlin_444ss_CUSTOM__BFR-1.jpg

The model posted above shoots the 444 Marlin rifle cartrige, the same as the rifle pctured a custom 1971 Marlin 444s.

They come in many configurations (44 Mag, .454 Casull, 45/70, 450m etc.) - The one below with a custom 1970 444 Marlin is in .500 S&W Magnum -

70444andBFR500SWMag003.jpg

They come in standard and long cylinders, as the long cylinder accomodates larger bullets...

BFR444SideKick.jpg

Happy Shooting...

*V*

LanceColeman

I could be wrong here but aren't BFRs a part of the Magnum Research company? I've not heard a bad review on them yet.

doofus

i love my taurus ragin bull in 454..with the pachmeyer decelerator grips on it plus the fact that it's ported up front with that heavy under lug barrel...recoil is not longer a concern...but it sure does bark loud.

usmc2112

x2 for the Ruger SRH, I absolutely love my 7.5 inch barrel. Little known fact: get a competent gunsmith to cut the cylinder for moon clips and you can shoot 45 acp/gap out of them also.