Post Your Acorn Reports

Nastytater

Banned
Here at my house in Gwinnett,the White Oaks are loaded down with mid sized acorns. The rain washed a few off the trees and there are a few dropping,but nothing major. The red Oaks are also loaded,but not as much as the whites. We cut a small white oak down yesterday and when it landed,it literally looked like pee gravel being dumped out of a front end loader. Also,the persimmons are loaded down as well. Nice fat quarter size persimmons and they are just now turning.

bowbuck

In stephens cty i have saw some old white oaks that were loaded. In habersham i have saw some reds and chestnuts dropping but not many white oaks where I have been squirrel hunting. Tons of hickory nuts though and the squirrels are eating them up.

Marlin_444

None see out around Brass Town Bald and Bob's Creek this weekend...

Killer Kyle

So what I'm gathering thus far is that white oaks so far as we have posted, are producing down low (Elbert, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Stephens) and up in higher (Cohutta, Gilmer, Habersham, White) white oaks aren't producing as well. From the posts we have so far, it sounds like the reds are producing pretty well both high and low. We still don't have enough posts about chestnut oaks to begin formulating a guess yet. If you guys will, keep scouting areas and giving reports. If possible, give either an elevation of the area you scouted, or a guess at the elevation if you don't have a map or gps. Also just so you guys know, I'm going to post this question in the deer hunting forum as well to hit a more broad base of people so you guys don't need to double post.

Mwaldrop

Catoosa County- select whites are loaded with little dropping.

Red oaks are fair to good and sporaticly dropping

Chestnut oaks are loaded and dropping good.

found a muscadine vine in the woods too with good grapes on em. Some persimmons are almost fully orange but still hard.

Killer Kyle

I checked Gainesville College in Oakwood (Hall County) today before work. Elevation was 1,200 feet. The red oak production was so-so, and the white oak production was great. No reds were dropping. I found a few white oak acorns on the ground, but in those trees, I also found squirrel nests, so it could have been them. I didn't check any chestnuts for lack of time. I will scout Banks County tomorrow and post what I find there.

Killer Kyle

I checked out the oaks in Banks County yesterday while squirrel hunting Wilson Shoals WMA. All the white oaks I checked lower at around 900' were not producing. Barely any acorns at all. The reds were good. At around 1,200', the whites were producing much better, but not quite loaded. The chestnut oaks at both elevations were doing well. None of the oaks were dropping. Also, persimmons were doing really well. They were green, but I could see tracks in the mud under the tree where deer had already eaten some of the ones that had dropped early.

Killer Kyle

Fannin Co, Lake Blue Ridge, 2,000' elevation. All I cheched were white oaks. Maaaan oh man were they loaded! I found a white oak branch laying on the ground, freshly fallen. Those acorns looked so beautiful, I almost wanted to eat them myself! :)

markland

Acorns are great in Twiggs Co, lot's of whites, reds, swamp Chesnuts, water and pin oaks, but nothing but reds up in N GA mountains.

tree cutter 08

found some white oaks today around 2700 ft and down. not loaded but fair. looks like a summer time ice storm hit. bear sign everywhere. seen 1 in the 150lb range. reds are about the same.

tree cutter 08

had to watch for crap so you would step in it. had to watch were you were going because all the broke limbs hanging in the trees from the bears. all bear. no hogs much

markland

Water oaks dropping in Twiggs Co, but that's about it. No muscadines and a few persimmons but not ready yet. Whites have acorns but not dropping yet either.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Im not sure of the elevation but should be 2,500 - 3,000 or so. I did not find any fresh bear sign. Also almost no white oaks to speak of. Trey mountian

Jayare1870

All that's falling in Lumpkin County up off Nimblewill creek are big fat White Oaks. The deer are just now starting the find them.