The Recluse
Staff member

Attachments

• coyote.jpg
    coyote.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 5,540

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I think I am gonna start calling the black wolf-like canines (what some call black coyotes) Florida wolves in honor of William Bartram. Thanks for posting that link by the way on the other thread, it has been years since I read it. Off topic, you would not happen to know what the "indian olive" is that he talks about do you? The creeks apparently felt it conjurred up deer when they hunted them (they apparently carried them when they hunted for that reason), I wanna find me some for next deer season.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think I am gonna start calling the black wolf-like canines (what some call black coyotes) Florida wolves in honor of William Bartram. Thanks for posting that link by the way on the other thread, it has been years since I read it. Off topic, you would not happen to know what the "indian olive" is that he talks about do you? The creeks apparently felt it conjurred up deer when they hunted them (they apparently carried them when they hunted for that reason), I wanna find me some for next deer season.

I have wondered that myself, because I don`t have a clue as to what that fruit might be. Ben might can shed some light on it for us.

Gary Mercer

Always carried a buckeye. Old timer told me it would bring in deer.
Who knows, but I still have that thing.
Gary

JWT

Pretty interesting ,I got this one this yr running with two others!!
ca328290.jpg

Ohoopee Tusker

This is a great thread redneck_billcollector. I grew up spending as much time as possible on thousands of acres of unbroken remote property in mid-east Ga. I saw my first coyote there in 1981. The coyotes on this property are very aggressive and packs seem to be the norm. Over the years I've had them follow me to my stands in the pre-morning darkness. I once crossed an old logging road while being followed and when I returned after the hunt I counted 7 distinct sets of coyote tracks following me. Through the years two coyotes have been killed while chasing adult deer, one of the deer was also shot and gave every indication of being healthy. The handful of outdoorsmen that hunt the property have had similar experiences. I've always thought there was something different about these coyotes and your posts seem to explain alot.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
This is a great thread redneck_billcollector. I grew up spending as much time as possible on thousands of acres of unbroken remote property in mid-east Ga. I saw my first coyote there in 1981. The coyotes on this property are very aggressive and packs seem to be the norm. Over the years I've had them follow me to my stands in the pre-morning darkness. I once crossed an old logging road while being followed and when I returned after the hunt I counted 7 distinct sets of coyote tracks following me. Through the years two coyotes have been killed while chasing adult deer, one of the deer was also shot and gave every indication of being healthy. The handful of outdoorsmen that hunt the property have had similar experiences. I've always thought there was something different about these coyotes and your posts seem to explain alot.

I have noticed "pack" behavior for years. I too have seen packs after grown deer and shot the biggest one I have ever seen out of a pack running deer on my property down in Mitchell County.

JWT

Just got back from a hunt in eastern,NC & I seen 2 of the biggest yotes ever!! They were huge! I was close to the refuge where the red wolves are at!! I was with 3 wildlife biologist in the truck& they said it was a cross breed!! IDK!!

SmokyMtnSmoke

Very interesting read here guys. Thanks for sharing your observations. It's good to know and be able to see back through time, so to speak, and look at a an eastern "brush wolf" and let common sense rule in that these are hybrid "hold overs" that have made it through to today, regardless if science can prove it. Very cool indeed.

Indian Olive

Osmanthus americanus, Devilwood. Evergreen, opposite leaved, dark blue-purple berries ripening August to Sept. We have a good many at Chehaw.

Honestly, never tried them. Will have to check out the possibilities this year. I am not sure that they are considered edible. They are referred as wild or Indian olive because of the egg or olive shaped fruit.

So far, I have not found any reference on the edible qualities of Devilwood. that is after checking over a dozen sources. If anyone else knows of anything, please chime in.

Jay, I can tell you precisely where you took that photo! By the way, Chehaw's red wolves have pups right now.