What is the smallest caliber you deer hunt with?

These small calibers that you guys speak of will kill a deer, but why risk it. Do the right thing and use a caliber that is more suited for large game animals. .243 is prob the smallest that I would consider shooting a deer with. If I am going to take an animals life, I want to give it the respect of a quick kill and not use a cartridge that even with the best placed shots will not dispatch the animal quickly.

Exactly. I've hunted with a .243 in the past. I probably never will, but if I ever did again, I would only take neck and head shots. I don't like tracking, and they run too far shot in the lungs with a small caliber. The .25-06 with a 120 grain bullet is about as small as I'd want to go now. My hunting buddy uses one, and it does a job on em.

hammerz71

I've never taken (or hunted) deer with anything that wasn't at least a .30 cal or larger.
The "weakest" round I've killed a deer with is 7.62x39. My "everyday" deer gun is a Ruger M77 MKII in .30-06. I've also taken them with a .50 Hawken and 12 ga. slug...
Not that I don't believe in using smaller calibers for deer, I own two mini-14s, but I've never considered using anything that small...

emusmacker

First of all, The ballistic tips are more accurate, and shoot flatter. I think a lot of people try to be "marksmen" and prove themselves by taking head shots or neck shots. And to contradict an earlier statement, bigger cals don't always tear up more meat. I used to work in a processing plant and the smaller cals, tore up and jellied more meat then a larger caliber. I shoot a 280 and a 7mag, a shot thru the front shoulders usually anchors them right there. I've been hunting and shooting for about 32 yrs, and have learned and experimented with different calibers. And no I don't shoot a mag because I'm not profecient with my gun, I pride myself on being extremely accurate with any gun. I don't care if it's a 338 win mag or the 22hornet, I don't compromise on accuracy.

Wide Earp

First of all, The ballistic tips are more accurate, and shoot flatter. I think a lot of people try to be "marksmen" and prove themselves by taking head shots or neck shots. And to contradict an earlier statement, bigger cals don't always tear up more meat. I used to work in a processing plant and the smaller cals, tore up and jellied more meat then a larger caliber. I shoot a 280 and a 7mag, a shot thru the front shoulders usually anchors them right there. I've been hunting and shooting for about 32 yrs, and have learned and experimented with different calibers. And no I don't shoot a mag because I'm not profecient with my gun, I pride myself on being extremely accurate with any gun. I don't care if it's a 338 win mag or the 22hornet, I don't compromise on accuracy.

spent about 8 years in a deer cooler/processing plant and I must say that as a general rule larger cal do more damage due to a larger frontal area but magnums destroy more meat than do slower velocity rounds, just yesterday my oldest granddaughter said she wanted to kill a deer but we did not go because all I have ready is the 22-250 and I don't think she is ready to shoot a deer with it but I am gonna get her something to hunt with

chambers270

If your not competent to make the shot accurately under all conditions,then by using a 460 Weatherby will not compensate for the operators lack of skill when shooting under pressure.

Mike

I agree 100%, it might give you a little more room for error, but does not always equal a kill.

JUSTIN37HUNT

I think we can all agree that you can KILL deer with very small calibers...but will you find them??? With that being said, how many people have or know someone who has shot a deer with a large caliber with great shot placement and not found any blood??? I think in general the larger caliber do more damage, but the cartridge does make a huge difference.

Simply said...shoot the largest caliber that you feel comfortable with and can shoot with the best accuracy. I shoot a .308 over my 30-06 simply because I am more accurate and confident with it. I am shooting Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 150gr and the combination works well for me.

southGAlefty

I load up the 12 pound cannon when I head to the deer woods and will shoot nothing smaller...just wait till there's a herd in the oat patch about 2 clicks out and rain a little death down upon em! Works like a charm and NO tracking jobs!

dad238

i have a 22 hornet dont hunt much with it but i have killed 2 nice bucks and 3 does none of them went over 30 yrds. shot everyone of them in the boiler room. when i opened them up to gut there was nothing left of the heart or lungs also just for the record i got this gun when i had a broken coller bone and 4 ribs. will probally give tthis gun to my son. hes 7

Bowyer29

learning to shoot, being patient an knowing your equipment is more respectful of the animal than blasting a 100 pound deer with something having the energy to kill moose and destroying meat and still having to track it 200 yds, a little more ethical than some of the "sniper wannabes" shooting moose and elk cartridges at deer at 500-600 yds when they couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle don't you think?

No. I hunt with DEER cartridges, 260 and up. They can and thousands have been killed with a 22 rimfire, but why do that.

Rich Kaminski

Once I shot a deer with my 243 Ruger using a 100 gr winchester bullet. The deer was quartering away from me and the bullet bounced off a rib. Then that same bullet hit the deer in the neck and it tore off half of the deers neck. Now I will only take head on shots or broadside shots at a deer with that rifle.
Mostly I use larger caliber rifles for deer hunting.

tcward

IMO - The smallest ethical caliber is the .243. My son shoots a .260 and that is the smallest of my guns.

Unless you have some sort of handicap, I just do not see any reason to use marginal weapons:huh:

I agree---.24 caliber should be bare minimum!

will hunt 4 food

Not that I condone their use, I knew someone:huh: who used a 22lr when I was younger and never had a deer run out of sight. It was definitely superior to a bow at 100% kill recover record. I don't think it should be legal by any means, but the 22 centerfires are plenty adequite if used responsibly.
That said I use a 45 & 50 cal. most of the time:bounce::bounce::bounce:
The smallest I have ever taken a deer with is 22 cal.

WaltL1

I shoot a Ruger 6.5x55 but smallest I have taken a deer with is a friends .243 I borrowed one time.