rumor of Clark hill monster striper

Heard that fifty pounder was caught last week anyone have any proof of this? I know they are in there sure would like to see a Pic.

Gunny146

If this is the Augusta Chronicle article and picture of the "50 pound" striper, either the scale needs recalibrating, of the fish has a belly full of wheel weights. Just sayin'.

^^^ What he said!!! There have been pics of fish way bigger than that one posted here and none of those were 50. Either than or the dude in the pic is 7'2" and 480.

ClintW

the guy in the article must have a quikrete striper. I know he couldn't get all 80lbs in him. Thats why he is only 50lb

lcookie

Thanks for the laughs guys. Really needed a good one the way I been feeling today.

Backlasher82

If this is the Augusta Chronicle article and picture of the "50 pound" striper, either the scale needs recalibrating, of the fish has a belly full of wheel weights. Just sayin'.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports...2-07/anglers-are-particular-about-their-lures

That doesn't look like a 50lb striper to me but the guy holding it, his name sounds familiar. Didn't he hold the state record for catfish for a long time?:huh: Seems like I remember seeing Ralph Barbee in the state record list for years but I could be wrong.

Cabin creek man

Ive got a 42 pound striper mounted in one of my cabins that looks alot bigger than that. I know it might sound brutal to some but when your talking about fish this big i aint gonna believe a weight untill its certified even if that means killing the fish.if you dont want to kill one thats fine just dont expect me to take the weight you give as fact. Just say it was a gosh dern biggun like that one that was in this fourm a couple three weeks ago. Oh yeah and the other day. Dern yall been catching some big ol stripers. Lol

doodleflop

Wow hmmmm 50?????? I doubt that!
That's a mid maybe upper 20's fish at best.

You guys watch out that article was the begging of hand painted yellow lures. Kinda reminds me of a BB BOOM.

Nope I have got agree with yall mid twenties at best. I had several people asking me about the fifty pounder caught at Clark hill and this is obviously him youd be suprised at how many people fall for this.

Coenen

Google image is a wonderful thing when people make claims like this. The fish pictured in that article isn't even close to 50, and won't be for years assuming it was released alive.

As for a 50+ in Lanier, I'll believe it when I catch it. :p

donald-f

That fish is no where near 50 lbs. Like others have said it may go mid 20's. and not a bit over 30. If it had weighed 50 lbs I promise you he would have not released it.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of this particular fisherman or any of his weekly shows.

My late Grandfather was a true fisherman during the building of Clarks Hill Lake and throughout the 50's and 60's. He caught his share of big ones doing his lifetime and he and his fishing partner were always trying to out-fish the other over the years. With that said, I believe that when it comes to fishermen, the following statement rings true. This was on a plaque in our house back when I was just a little kid and I always thought that it was put there just for my Grandfather and his fishing buddy.

"Most Fisherman Are Liars Except You And Me And Sometimes I Doubt You."

PS: I am not much of a fisherman but several years ago, I did see a friend catch a 32 pound striper (officially weighed and photographed). It appeared to be somewhat larger than the fish pictured in the recent photo. I am just glad that I don't really weigh 368 pounds. :D :D :D

TroyBoy30

That doesn't look like a 50lb striper to me but the guy holding it, his name sounds familiar. Didn't he hold the state record for catfish for a long time?:huh: Seems like I remember seeing Ralph Barbee in the state record list for years but I could be wrong.

Ralph has held several record for the hill and even had a fishing show for several years. Not sure if its still on or not but I always took anything he said with a shaker of salt.

gtmcwhorter

I knew Ralph when I lived in Augusta through some mutual friends and he is a good guy, fish is not even near 50# though. I could not stand to watch his show "fishing with Ralph Barbee" It did have a catchy theme song though!

Toffy

Posted by Ralph Barbee Jr.

The following is posted in the paper's website right now.

Ralph Barbee Jr., professional guide specializing in largemouth bass. (706) 860-7373 – Last Monday, Bob Vernoy and I fished. We caught two 3-pound bass apiece and he landed a gar on the chrome/blue Rat-L-Trap. We fished Wednesday, starting at 2 p.m. About 5 p.m., a 50-pound striped bass slammed my Yellow Fellow. It’s the biggest striper I’ve ever caught. I put it back in to let it grow up. We were fishing in the Red Bank Island area. We tried the pumping station area up Little River, but didn’t do any good. There were lots of sea gulls diving on bait in that same area.