This could kill somebody

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
OK...That's all good and I thank everybody for the Local information to a Flat lander Fla. boy...But Why did they dig a deep well there when there is a good running creek 500 yards away....400 hundred of it is straight downhill...sharp.
Was the original creek a lot more uphill , It was a cool looking bit of woods but it was mostly man made mess.
Erosion from bad farming seems to have bout destroyed the original landscape.

That`s a long way to tote water. Especially on wash day. That`s why most folks around South Georgia had their well dug close to the kitchen. Ours was about 5 steps from the back porch at the home place. Daddy also dug another down by the corncrib to water the hogs when he penned em up.

Capt Quirk

@swamphunter- going off topic here... but are you planning on a trip up this way? I was wondering if you could do me a small favor... I haven't had any Cuban food since I left Florida, and I'm craving a MediaNoche samich and a giant cup of Cuban espresso...

T-N-T

That`s a long way to tote water. Especially on wash day. That`s why most folks around South Georgia had their well dug close to the kitchen. Ours was about 5 steps from the back porch at the home place. Daddy also dug another down by the corncrib to water the hogs when he penned em up.

Yep
The well my great uncle talked about being lowered into was about 10 yards from the old house he and my grandfather were born in.

We finally removed the house and filled the well about 6 years ago.
House and well were circa 1920

Rivershot

Friend of mine just found one on his property, about 15' deep and 3' across, round, with what looks like a side tunnel at the bottom which I presume was used as a reservoir. We plan on taking a metal detector down next month before filling or capping it.

Kids and some adults used throw all sorts of stuff down wells and out house.

PCNative

Some of the big holes around farms were dug to dispose of dead chickens on farms that had chicken houses. I've run across several of these where the remains of the houses were long gone. The ones I've seen were seven or eight feet across and twenty or thirty feet deep.

Capt Quirk

Some of the big holes around farms were dug to dispose of dead chickens on farms that had chicken houses. I've run across several of these where the remains of the houses were long gone. The ones I've seen were seven or eight feet across and twenty or thirty feet deep.

Just think about the guy that had to dig them!

specialk

we had a bored well dug at our lease about 25 years ago....the well digger came out and dug 3 holes before hitting a good table of water.....the 2 holes left were about 25 or so feet deep(maybe more). when things were done and he wanted payment we asked about him filling in the open holes. he laughed and said that was on us, he didn't fill them in. we had to hire a guy to come in with a backhoe to do it. thought that was strange.....

Deerhead

I have hunted several properties in GA, all had wells. The current property has six that we have found. We keep finding more each year. Apparently it had been farmed for a long time.

snookdoctor

we had a bored well dug at our lease about 25 years ago....the well digger came out and dug 3 holes before hitting a good table of water.....the 2 holes left were about 25 or so feet deep(maybe more). when things were done and he wanted payment we asked about him filling in the open holes. he laughed and said that was on us, he didn't fill them in. we had to hire a guy to come in with a backhoe to do it. thought that was strange.....

They are called "well drillers", not "well fillers".
That's what one told me under similar circumstances.

T.P.

Banned
The property that TripleC owns now has one. We found it when we lost 2 dogs in it. I wonder if 3C has found it yet?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Wildlife (mainly black panthers :rofl:) will #1 and #2 wherever they need to. Never seen one go in a well.
My brother and I were hunting A mountain WMA many years ago. He talked about how the water was safe to drink after it ran over 10 ft of rocks. After he took a sip I pointed to the bear scat 7 ft up the creek.