Updated! Something is killing my chickens! Help!

Robert_Lee

I think I got him, don't know how he would have gotten in the pen, there are no holes large enough for him to enter. But I did read on another forum, of the coons just sitting outside the fence waiting, and grabbing them when they walk by. He did stop by to see what was going on, so it could be him?

Attachments

• Racoon.jpg
    Racoon.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 2,648
Last edited:

Luke0927

A coon will sure enough kill them he is a good one....give him to some coon hunters let a pack of dogs get after him.

Campingmom

MINK (my vote)

It was a weasel or mink. I've seen that problem here when the tornado came through. A tree fell on my chicken coop roof... and 10 trees on the house. (the kids and I were fine, praying in the closet) No hole big enough for a raccoon, but night after night I lost chickens until they were all gone. :cry: Bit their necks and drank the blood. They had heads missing on some. We live by a creek. Only a small opening at the roof-line where he must have entered. They survived the tornado, but the mink got them. We hit a mink with the car some time after that. Not likely the same guy but lets me know they are here for sure.

Capt Quirk

I have lost several groups of chickens, in this very same manner. I know we have possums, fox, and what I would say was likely a weasel. Never seen a live weasel or mink, so I couldn't say for sure. How large is the mink and weasel population here?

Robert_Lee

Just to update, I trapped and "relocated" those two coons, and haven't had a issue since. I have 5 golden commets and for the last 3-4 months they haven't been bothered. I would have never guessed a coon would kill them for fun.