Thank goodness those days are behind us.

centerpin fan

I read this, and my Irony-meter went off.

“Fifteen years ago, it was a sport for the rich, white male who could afford to take the once-in-a-lifetime trip to Montana or Alaska,” said Perkins. “It was clubby, and we needed to break down the barriers to entry.”

Apple has its iPhone. Porsche has its 911. Orvis has its fly-rod. The H3 is the company’s raison d’etre, the one product at the epicenter of its 100 retail stores and 5,000 other things—from dog beds, to sundresses, to guided vacations. Its current top-of-the-line rod, the Helios 2, is the company’s second-bestselling product in volume of units, despite its $795 price tag (the No. 1 item is a shirt).

Whether the H2 is "the best," however, would be hotly contested at any fly shop in the world. Many anglers swear by Sage, which is known for making “fast” rods that can cast long distances. Last summer, G. Loomis, now a unit of Shimano Inc., broke the four-figure barrier when it unveiled its “Asquith” rod with a suggested price tag of $1,000 to $1,700. Despite its efforts, Orvis says it only holds about 15 percent of the fly-rod market at the moment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...-helios-3-review-one-fly-rod-to-rule-them-all

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:D

I just don't see the thousand-dollar rod thing anyway. My main trout rod is a Redington 3wt that I bought about 25 years ago for about $200 complete with reel, line, sock, metal tube, and lifetime warranty. I have caught tens of thousands of fish on it. My main bass rod is a TFO 7wt that I bought used for $50. I have fished friend's expensive Orvis and Sage rods, and the only difference I can see is the name, maybe an ounce or two of weight.

For that matter, I caught thousands of trout an old Eagle Claw fiberglass 5wt that I bought for about $20 new at the Army-Navy store when I was about 12 years old. :)

Buckman18

I'm the same, my main fly rods are Eagle Claws. Wouldn't know how to catch fish with an 'Orvis,' and I dang sure have no intentions of wearing one of those goofy hats.

I wear a Trucker style ball cap that says, "Make America Great Again," and fish with an Eagle Claw. Granola heads get out of my way when they see me coming.

fishndoc

I've spent way too much money accumulating a closet full of fly rods thru the years, but I believe I could have caught just as many fish if I had stuck with the first rod I bought: a used Fenwick fiberglass 6Wt for $35.

That said, the higher quality rods are more enjoyable to cast, but the improvements are small compared to the increase in price.

IMO, the best fly rod for the money is the TFO BVK.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm a recovering trout bum. My current collection of fly rods is only 5 rods. It was once much larger. I've owned several brands including St. Croix, TFO, Sage, and both Bass Pro and Cabelas house brand. They will all catch fish, no doubt about it. I've found over the years, that great casting is 90% fisherman and 10% rod.

With all that said, the most mind blowing rod I've ever cast was the above mentioned Orvis Helios 2. Super light, super strong, shoots line like a cannon, delicate enough to present dries on a 6wt but strong enough to fight the winds in Montana. I keep telling myself I don't need one...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Notwithstanding what I said above, if anybody wants to send me a $1000 Orvis or Sage, I will gladly PM you my address......:D

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I recall Lefty Kreh's comment that no one can out cast a $100 flyrod. Then he endorsed a line of rods that had a $200 floor and his comment was upgraded to $200. He's such a great guy that he can get away with the upgrade. ;) Gil

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I recall Lefty Kreh's comment that no one can out cast a $100 flyrod. Then he endorsed a line of rods that had a $200 floor and his comment was upgraded to $200. He's such a great guy that he can get away with the upgrade. ;) Gil

Inflation, it gets us all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I've got one of his TFO signature rods. It's a goodun. I didn't pay $200 for it, though. :)

"Its current top-of-the-line rod, the Helios 2, is the company’s second-bestselling product in volume of units, despite its $795 price tag"

Now I understand how Orvis can afford to send me a catalog every two weeks...

dtala

an old fiberglass Eagle Claw is just about a perfect creek rod, much better than a faster rod.

Anvil Head

I grew up using glass rods....gradiated to graphys because they said I was supposed to.....I'm back to using my #6 glass that's 50+ years old and loving every swish. Got a closet full of graphs that collect dust except my old St Croix 8 that is my go-to for tailing bulls.
Heck, I still have a couple of old Shakespear auto's sitting around somewhere, but my favorite spooler is an old early 1900's bronze Pfluger that my granddaddy and dad used.
Old school gear works just fine for me.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
In my hands, graphite's quickness in forming a tight loop works better for me than glass does casting into the wind on saltwater. But I refuse to join the Sage-Scott-Orvis Rod of the Month Club. OMMV.
Gil

centerpin fan

But I refuse to join the Sage-Scott-Orvis Rod of the Month Club. OMMV.
Gil

This is one thing that stood out to me from the article: they want it to be obvious who's fishing with the new Orvis:

Above the cork grip the fancy filigree that would typically list the rod's details, is replaced by a long, white wrap that wouldn’t look out of place on the handle of a tennis racket or ski pole. “Everybody who sees this rod from across a river is going to immediately be able to tell,” said Combs. “That’s the new Orvis.”

"Hey Billy Bob! See that guy over there throwing tailing loops? He's using that new Orvis!"

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I've owned nothing but pflugers since the early seventies. They seem to do exactly what I need them to do. I have a total of four, they've lasted the test of time...

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I guess it is all in what you fish for. 95% or more of my fly fishing is in salt water for everything from ladyfish, pompano and redfish in the surf to tarpon that can be well in excess of 100lbs. Where distance is needed at times and where accuracy is needed most of the time without a lot of false casts. Sage, Hardy and the like dominate the scene. Casting to tailing redfish, laid up tarpon or mudding bonefish is different from casting dry flies or nymphs to trout. It is different due to the distance one has to cast, the breeze (sometimes winds over 20knots) one has to deal with and just the nature of the cast. Lifting the fly out of the water at 30 feet and casting to a target the size of a plate can be difficult at times. You need a rod with sufficient lift, fast enough to have tight loops and still be light enough to sling all day long without ruining your shoulder......I will admit, I have a number of high end Sage such as Salts and Methods along with a number of Hardy manufactured rods. Heck, some saltwater fly lines alone weigh as much as some small stream trout outfits.