The Archer's Workout

XJfire75

Hey guys, I've been exercising pretty consistently throughout the year and have done some strength workouts and such but to my surprise my bow's draw weight seemed quite a bit heavier than last year even though I've put on several pounds of muscle. Just started shooting again a few times a week last month and getting my rhythm back and such is going well but the weight still seems a little tough(not dangerous or uncomfortable just harder than I remember) so I was curious what y'all do to get in shape for the upcoming bow season. I'm in a bow only club this year so I need to get to work!

I have simple weights and a smaller all-in-one type gym machine that I can use. Can anyone point me towards a good site or video? Seen some of Cam Hanes videos and others but just wanted to ask y'all for advise and hopefully help others out as well!

Thanks!

ddd-shooter

If I'm trying to get in bow shape, there's nothing quite like shooting and shooting a lot.
Also, try to count to thirty while holding at full draw. Helps when waiting for that buck to turn/step into the clearing.

Rick Alexander

I'm watching this one

If I'm trying to get in bow shape, there's nothing quite like shooting and shooting a lot.
Also, try to count to thirty while holding at full draw. Helps when waiting for that buck to turn/step into the clearing.

This was my routine until I damaged a rotator cuff (left one) jumping from the back of a pickup truck with my hand on the top edge of the bed while holding my bow with the right hand. I'd been having issues with both my shoulders for a while so I think the accident was just the final straw. Finally a year after surgery I was able to pick the bow back up and promptly blew my right RT and haven't picked up a bow since.

I think I just was pulling too much weight after aging some (I was 45 at the time - been shooting since I was 15). I was only pulling a little over 65 lbs but I shot A LOT in the off season. Back then everybody was saying to pull as much bow weight as you can stand for bow speed and that was about all I could ever handle. I'd like to get back into shooting a regular bow but no way I'm going through another bout of RT cuff surgeries. That's why I'd really like to hear about some sort of routine that might get me back to shooting. No way I'm dishing out a bunch of money on a new bow without knowing I can do this again safely. I do miss it terribly.

Nice thing now days is you don't have to pull 70 lbs to get a pretty fast bow. Just have to be willing to dish out a bucket load of money for the technology.

Philbow

If your string & cables have stretched over the year resulting in a slightly longer draw it will also result in a heavier draw. Just a possibility.

Garnto88

Shoot a lot and set your poundage to where you can pull easy enough to pull straight back. Some guys shoot too heavy poundage . It should be comfortable.

XJfire75

If your string & cables have stretched over the year resulting in a slightly longer draw it will also result in a heavier draw. Just a possibility.

Mines still spot on. I considered that early on but anchor pint and everything is on point.

Shoot a lot and set your poundage to where you can pull easy enough to pull straight back. Some guys shoot too heavy poundage . It should be comfortable.

That's the plan. I may back my bow down a few pounds and practice drawing back and holding for longer periods of time and do plenty of shoulder stretches and exercises between now and then.

Shep23

Put your hand on a bench grab a dum bell off the ground and pull it to u like u or cranking a chain saw

stick_slinger

Shooting and really just drawing back multiple times a day works wonders.. When I got my first bow I was about 16 and it was a 60lb draw weight.. It was a struggle for me to pull it back. A few times a day I would pull it back, maybe 3 times or so. Within 2 weeks or so it got easier to where I could shoot it in the yard for a while.. Within a few months I had it maxed out a 73lbs. I did not work out at all during this time really. Pulling a bow back just works your muscles in a different motor pattern and it takes some adapting and strengthening that pattern... I have had guys that could bench press over 300lbs and grab a bow with 65lb draw weight on it and grit there teeth and go "DANG" when they pull it back.

BowanaLee

I think working out is a short term muscle gain. Unless your going to continue through deer season, Id shoot instead. Those are the muscles your going to need.
If it still feels to stiff, Id drop the poundage. Its better to be comfortable and steady. You think your having problems now, wait until you pass 60. :bounce:

Johnny 71

Junebug
I shoot a long bow A lot, makes a compound bow easy to use

BowArrow

I am approaching 80 years old and bow hunt only with a PSE Brute X set a 50 #. I have exercised for many years and continue to do so although I have reduced my routine. My daily 15 minutes of exercise consist of a maximum of push ups (avg. 116 in July), 100 reverse leg lifts from the plank position, 100 crunches, 4 different dumbbell exercises and drawing a bow exerciser with 2 tubular bands (wear safety glasses) back several times from a sitting position. I weigh every day and keep my weight below 160 #. Keeps me in shape.

stick_slinger

Wow, thats impressive BowArrow. I pray for health like yours when I'm pushing 80.

bowhunterdavid

I am approaching 80 years old and bow hunt only with a PSE Brute X set a 50 #. I have exercised for many years and continue to do so although I have reduced my routine. My daily 15 minutes of exercise consist of a maximum of push ups (avg. 116 in July), 100 reverse leg lifts from the plank position, 100 crunches, 4 different dumbbell exercises and drawing a bow exerciser with 2 tubular bands (wear safety glasses) back several times from a sitting position. I weigh every day and keep my weight below 160 #. Keeps me in shape.
Awesome :flag:

Hunter922

Shoot more = archers work out...

finnhunter

I drop down the poundage to minimum and start shooting. I don't care how accurate I am as long as my groups (3 arrows at the time) are close. As soon as I get tired or my groups start to diverge, I stop for the day. Repeat. Any muscle ache, I take a longer break as at this age I need to be mindful what my body says. As I feel getting stronger, I turn the poundage up. Repeat until I hit the poundage where I was last season.

By the time I am ready to hit the woods my muscles are conditioned enough to be able to pull the bow back even with heavier clothes on and all that shooting has set the muscle memory where I don't have to think about the shooting process but can focus on the deer.

fishhunt05

I'd suggest working on back muscle... like pull ups. I'd also do some shoulder exercise. For those I like to use straight arm lifts and side ways using 10lb dumb bells then hold straight out until you can't hold any more.

fishhunt05

That's awesome!!!

uturn

The golfer Gary Player has had a similar routine I have read...mine is not that regimented but, I am on one that I like just the same!!

Congratulations on your dedication BowArrow...Awesome!!

I do shoot...A LOT tho!!! At 75lbs.