Georgia Pine Snake - how rare is this snake

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Saw one in here in NE FL last year but I guess that would make it a Florida pine snake. Pretty snake and did alot of hissing.

Not sure I'd call that a pine snake and dang sure I wouldn't be picking it up until I could positively ID it. That dang thing has cobra stripes on it!!! :hair:

BowanaLee

Never seen one in the wild but its not enough of a lookalike to fake me off.

swamp hunter

Yea, I'd leave him be..take a couple pictures.
Thanks for Posting.
Being honest most Folks I know in N. Fla and South Alabama will run the truck into the ditch to kill any snake..I'm tryin to teach them ...one at a time..

PappyHoel

Pappy, what county?

They are quite uncommon. Reinhardt University maintains a data collection program called Project Pine Snake for sightings. http://blogs.reinhardt.edu/projectpinesnake/

10247285_261638034008554_8041438938684040423_n.jpg

Good info. I will check it out. This was spotted near the Dawson/Lumpkin County line.

swamp hunter

Fake Snake..just like a Black Banded Water Snake looking like a Cottonmouth and a Scarlet King snake looking like a Coral Snake.
Evolution didn't consider Apes climbing down from trees and making Browning Auto 5's....

oppthepop

Just saw one post that related the Pine Snake to a "Bull snake." anybody who has hunted out west for a while knows full well what a bull snake is and how they react when threatened. they flatten their head and hiss and are quite the formidable reptile. I call them the eastern king snake of the west. I would really like to see a "pine snake' someday - looks really cool.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Just saw one post that related the Pine Snake to a "Bull snake." anybody who has hunted out west for a while knows full well what a bull snake is and how they react when threatened. they flatten their head and hiss and are quite the formidable reptile. I call them the eastern king snake of the west. I would really like to see a "pine snake' someday - looks really cool.

I couldn't figure that one out either. They are in the same genus but not the same species. Odd that they framed it that way.

Sixes

I've seen 3 or 4 over the years in Ball Ground where I work. They are big, healthy snakes. Haven't seen one in a few years and didn't know they were rare

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, a wild pine would be a lifer!
The wife found a mole king this morning, another one I've yet to see in the wild.

gxdtDrW.jpg

I found one of those on my property in SC this spring. First one I'd ever seen-very cool snake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve only seen a couple. They are tough snake to find or run up on.

Nick84

I have seen quite a few of them in eastern NC where I grew up, one was an absolute monster at first glance I thought he was boa.

Greetings - Pappy or others - I am trying to track down the when and where behind this sighting. I maintain the database that HM referred to above. Our goal is to understand how common this species is and sightings like this are critical to our understanding. We are getting some good records in the Piedmont, but the Blue Ridge populations (Lumpkin/Dawson) seem to be much smaller and so this is a great sighting! Could someone PM me with the details of when and where the photo was taken? THANKS!!

Mr. Fishunt

Pine Snake?

My son is a Park Ranger at a north Georgia State Park.
He caught this snake a week ago.
When I first saw the top picture, I thought it was a Pine Snake, however, I wasn't sure due to the geographic range maps, therefore, we presumed it was a Gray Rat Snake.

I have also attached a photo of me with a Bull Snake from Cheesman Canyon in Colorado. (I'm the good looking guy in the blue shirt.) The Bull Snake was climbing up the cliff behind me, hence the lighter color. (By the way, the fly fishing was excellent.)

They definitely look related.

Now I'm not so sure, which is which.

What do you all think? Could it be a "Blue Ridge Population" Pine Snake?

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Attachments

• Pine Snake edit.jpg
    Pine Snake edit.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 324
  • Bull Snake.jpg
    Bull Snake.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 325
  • Bull Snake cliff.jpg
    Bull Snake cliff.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 323