Eclipse Glasses

NOYDB

BANNED
Reports that rental car cos are charging as much as $3,000 a day to rent vehicles for the eclipse. People are lining up to pay to move into the path.

The media is still trying to figure out how charge for coverage.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
What's different about looking at the sun today vs looking at the sun during the eclipse. Both are gona fry my eyes right?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I don't care much about stuff that I will see a thousand pictures of, but I might try my welding hood and torch goggles for a minute or two if I am home.

Don't use torch goggles. They are a shade 5 and won't protect you. Welding glass is shades 9,10,11 or 12

They will keep you safe.

sinclair1

Don't use torch goggles. They are a shade 5 and won't protect you. Welding glass is shades 9,10,11 or 12

They will keep you safe.

I have some spot weld lenses that are stronger, but not sure the rating. I don't care much, so I might not even bother.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I'm going to drink beer.
:biggrin2: I've always said you were a smart man!:cheers:
The Hospitals and Optometrists are about to be busy beyond belief. I have called out several bootleggers on Facebook selling $10 glasses claiming that they are adequate for looking at the eclipse.

Welders Goggles or Helmets with a minimum shade rating of #12 but more preferable #13 or #14 are acceptable. Some people espouse #17 is what you need. Good luck finding that shade rating.

Eclipse Glasses with a shade rating of #13 or above and ISO 12312-2 are the ONLY glasses rated as safe by NASA/NOAA & NWS. None of them are going on the cheap either. I have heard of some local libraries giving out two free pair per family with a library card.

I'll be constructing my own pinhole box to observe the eclipse with. My eyesight just isn't worth losing over a 2 minute phenomenon that will occur again in 2024. At that point I may just stare straight at it with my nekkid eyes, if I'm still kickin. :stir:
I bought 2 pair of the approved kind a few weeks ago at Wally World for .99 each, they have the correct numbers, then my co-worker who works part time at the library brought us some to work. Heck, they are dismissing schools down this way early on Monday!:crazy:

Oldstick

What's different about looking at the sun today vs looking at the sun during the eclipse. Both are gona fry my eyes right?

You are correct on that. Nothing different with the sun from any other day. It just gets a lot more comfortable to the eyes during the cover-up but you still don't know if it is safe from the UV radiation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You know what folks have done for the last few hundred thousand years when an eclipse came? They looked at it with no eclipse glasses! And they probably didn't all go blind, either.

The Plains Indians used to have sun dances where they hung for hours by cords stuck through their chests and stared at the sun until the cords pulled loose. I never read anything about Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse or Roman Nose being blind?

NOYDB

BANNED
All I can say about that is if you are stoopid enough to pay $3000/day for a rental car then you deserve to have your eyes burnt...and your money stolen. That's just got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. :crazy:
Think I'll just watch it on my nice big flat screen in the comfort of my air cond home thanks to the good folks at NASA. :flag:

I don't make these things up. Just reporting on what I read. Of course you can't trust that any of it is true.

specialk

Im up in TN for the NASCAR race and the interstate sign system is warning drivers to expect delays on the 21st due to the eclipse.....

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
All the eclipse will mean for me is I have to turn on the lights in my home office for 30 minutes. I will look out the wndow and see if the skwerls and birds get funky.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
You know what folks have done for the last few hundred thousand years when an eclipse came? They looked at it with no eclipse glasses! And they probably didn't all go blind, either.

The Plains Indians used to have sun dances where they hung for hours by cords stuck through their chests and stared at the sun until the cords pulled loose. I never read anything about Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse or Roman Nose being blind?

NC speak strong words like thunder before storm. Lols

NC accept the terms that nothing will happen to anyone's eyes. :) ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC speak strong words like thunder before storm. Lols

NC accept the terms that nothing will happen to anyone's eyes. :) ;)

Just going by the fact that when the last one came when I was a kid, there were no eclipse glasses, nor a Walmart or internet to buy them at, for that matter. We all just stood there like a bunch of chickens looking up at the sky for an hour or so. I am about to turn fifty and can still read fine print without glasses, just sayin'. Maybe it burns yankee eyes. :)

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We took bottoms of 7 up bottles and smoked it with a candle to look at it. Can probberly google that.
I hear ya.

Just going by the fact that when the last one came when I was a kid, there were no eclipse glasses, nor a Walmart or internet to buy them at, for that matter. We all just stood there like a bunch of chickens looking up at the sky for an hour or so. I am about to turn fifty and can still read fine print without glasses, just sayin'. Maybe it burns yankee eyes. :)

The sun will burn your eyes just like it will burn your skin.