Do you encourage/require that your kids go to College?

toyota4x4h

When I have some college will not be required. If they choose to go good. If not OK. If they want to be government leaches on a couch fine just not on my couch. I have no say in their lives after 18

Big Foot

yes on my two, both degreed.........its a great Social growth sandbox skill learning and gives a check mark if you need it moving forward

I finished only because my parents told me early on you are College material...people live up to what they are taught

my degree got me much further ahead for only having the check mark and confidence gained for having it...period

woodhawk

I encouraged my oldest that if he didn't want to go to college, he had to have a marketable skill. He is 24 and makes a LOT of jing!!!!

He does work outside in the heat and cold but the sky is the limit on his lifetime earnings.

GoldDot40

If you don't have commons sense, then you better have some kind of education. If you don't have either...you can look forward to living with mama and daddy for the rest of your life.

I was blessed to have a doctorate in common sense and an IQ in the 140 range. I've had UGA grads work for me in the past...with degrees...making a little better than minimum wage and barely could learn the job they were hired to do.

My kids will have a choice of whether to go to college or not. My oldest is big into softball. She's pretty good for her age. If she keeps the pace she's on now, so figure she'll easily get a scholarship somewhere. That will help financially at least.

grouper throat

Yes I will and have been talking to my daughter about it for years now. I will follow my dad's lead as we only went to college for in demand fields though or he would not pay for it.

I see the other side of not going to college though. I know plenty of folks who started a biz and make plenty. If I had quit college I would have done this. In both cases educated or not you need perseverance and work ethic to thrive.

bassboy1

Mechanical and electrical trades will be the future high paying jobs.

I think it's already there. A friend of mine is a part time welding instructor. He sometimes will come weld for me on days that I'm running behind, and we have the same discussion all the time.

He's got 19 year olds coming out of the tech school that are immediately getting jobs for $18.50/hr plus benefits, and those companies are hiring every warm body they can get. Basic MIG monkey positions at that, and that's just starting wage. The instructors at that school get calls on a daily basis asking if anyone else has graduated, as they can't fill all the positions they need. The companies needing TIG positions filled are offering quite a bit more.

Meanwhile, people like my wife, who have degrees and commute to Atlanta every day to work in a high rise are making less than that after working there 4 years.

Obviously, things are a bit different for those going into a specific career that absolutely requires college - I've got quite a few friends who went the route of Georgia Tech, Southern Poly, etc, and are now engineers doing very well for themselves. College is just about a necessity in that situation, but in those cases, there's a very precise career goal.

For the average Joe that may not have a laser specific career goal, and is just looking at the best path to make a comfortable living, trade school is probably a better option.

With some halfway decent investment discipline, someone starting with decent pay at 19 years old, and moving up from there will probably come out ahead of someone starting out at 22-23 with a huge student loan debt cloud overhead, and having a lower income to boot.

hipster dufus

the whole idea behind a degree is choices. you have more and better choices with a degree. even if one is a machinist it doesnt hurt to have a degree, maybe in business administration. the problem is high priced degrees in useless fields. my children both have degrees EE and nursing. i however spent 10 yrs+ on the GI bill and dont have a dgree to show for it. i do have some education behind me but didnt need it for my job. i also had vocational and technical training. options. one just has more options with an education.

REDMOND1858

Head maintanence engineer at a local plant did a presentation at a meeting I was at last week. Basically, he goes to local high school ag mechanics classes and recruits kids right out of school to come work for him and pay them $13-$14 am hour. He will let them work, put them through on the job training and school, and pay for the schooling. After 2-3 years the kid has an associates degree in industrial maintenance, NO student debt, and a job making $30+ per hour.

He said unfortunately the hardest part is recruiting parents. Over half the kids he tries to hire, aren't allowed to
Because it isn't "college".

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
We have encouraged ours to go to college for one reason and one reason only. It gives him a fall back if the economy or his chosen field of work takes a huge dump. Diversity in skill set is important in today's insane world.

red neck richie

Strongly encourage but not demand. If you decide its not for you, you better have a viable plan B. Either a job plan or some sort of career based training. Laying around the house doing nothing trying to figure it out is not an option.

GoldDot40

The more I think about this topic, the more I'm LESS inclined to encourage mine to go. I'm not saying I'll put effort into talking them out of going, I want them to make their own decision on continuing education.

The reason is due to the fact that most all universities have an even bigger liberal curriculum than public schools do. Maybe we'll wait until they get well into high school to see how easily manipulated their minds are. Dang sure don't want a college professor pushing his/her liberal agenda on my kids. Of course I explain how I want them to have an open mind and be able to decipher good, evil and in between.

The oldest has already come home telling me the history teacher has them watching CNN. Already sent an email expressing my displeasure with that nonsense.

Dub

Yes....college has always been the plan for my son.

He's a freshmen now and loving the new schedule, lol.

Hunter922

Yes mine will go to college. It was strongly suggested since first grade that good grades were manditory. He is a A-B student and A junior in HS now and will attend college.

grouper throat

I think it's already there. A friend of mine is a part time welding instructor. He sometimes will come weld for me on days that I'm running behind, and we have the same discussion all the time.

He's got 19 year olds coming out of the tech school that are immediately getting jobs for $18.50/hr plus benefits, and those companies are hiring every warm body they can get. Basic MIG monkey positions at that, and that's just starting wage. The instructors at that school get calls on a daily basis asking if anyone else has graduated, as they can't fill all the positions they need. The companies needing TIG positions filled are offering quite a bit more.

Meanwhile, people like my wife, who have degrees and commute to Atlanta every day to work in a high rise are making less than that after working there 4 years.

Obviously, things are a bit different for those going into a specific career that absolutely requires college - I've got quite a few friends who went the route of Georgia Tech, Southern Poly, etc, and are now engineers doing very well for themselves. College is just about a necessity in that situation, but in those cases, there's a very precise career goal.

For the average Joe that may not have a laser specific career goal, and is just looking at the best path to make a comfortable living, trade school is probably a better option.

With some halfway decent investment discipline, someone starting with decent pay at 19 years old, and moving up from there will probably come out ahead of someone starting out at 22-23 with a huge student loan debt cloud overhead, and having a lower income to boot.

My brother welded on outtages while attending college. While in high school they allowed us to go to the tech school and he learned there. When he graduated, he actually made less the first few years as an engineer in training than he did a welder:rofl:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We didn`t urge or require our son to go to college, but we did offer to pay for any additional schooling or training after he graduated high school. He chose vocational school in diesel engine mechanics and graduated with flying colors. Ironically, he`s now an IT tech for a good company and is doing very well.

95g atl

I have an MBA (Master of Business Administration). Did it make me smarter? Nope. But opened the door for many opportunities.

I have ONE son who is in 1st grade, so a lot can change in the next 12 years.

Will I require him to go to college, likely YES.....or military and college after. And "require" may not be the best word choice. College will be instilled in his brain early on, and college will be expressed and encouraged, just like high school --- something that has to be done.

In today's day, a 4 year college degree is similar to having a high school diploma 30,40,50,60 years ago. Fortunately OR unfortunately, a degree is almost mandatory to get any type of worthy job (minus blue collar trades) now.

A college degree is something that they can never take away. It will only HELP you in terms of a career path, not hurt.

On a similar note: I can tell you that when the liberals wanted to have FREE college education, the value of a college degree just dropped significantly.

Just my 2 mexican pesos