Governor to sign Gun Bill!

frankwright

Dear GCO Member,

It is no longer necessary to call Governor Deal concerning HB60. Below is an invitation GCO received from Speaker David Ralston for all members of GCO to attend the signing of HB60. The invitation below is self-explanatory.

Jerry,

On behalf of the bill sponsors and myself, I would like to invite you and your membership to Ellijay next Wednesday, April 23rd, at the ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River where Governor Deal will sign House Bill 60, the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014. The bill signing ceremony begins at noon. After that, a BBQ lunch will be served open to those who can join us.

The address for the ETC Pavilion can be found below. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you and everyone in Ellijay next week.
Speaker Ralston

What: Bill Signing Ceremony for HB 60, The Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014
When: Wednesday, April 23, 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Who: Speaker Ralston

Governor Nathan Deal

Members of the General Assembly

Where: ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River

255 Legion Road

Ellijay, Georgia 30540

Click here for a link to the Google Map

Thanks for all your efforts to get HB60 signed. After the bill is signed on Wednesday, we will have to wait until July 1, 2014 for the bill to take effect. Founding Board Member and Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner Ed Stone is planning a series of articles explaining what HB60 does for the people of GA in layman's terms so we can be prepared when the bill becomes law. We will also have a session at the 6th Annual GCO Convention on August 16.

Hope to see many of you at the ceremony!

=======================

Headshot

I got the e-mail, too. Great news that the governor will sign it. Wish I didn't have to work and could go to the bill signing.

GunnSmokeer

Signed and Done

I was there. The Governor signed the law. He bragged that he has an "A" (or was it A+ ?) rating from the NRA during all his 16-or-whatever-number of years they've rated him.
He said he's signed every piece of pro-gun legislation that has come to his desk.

The new law takes effect July 01, 2014.

Finally, a serious reduction on the number of "government buildings" that are off-limits. Now the ones without manned security checkpoints and weapons screening devices will be OK for citizens with carry permits.

(Only if they're just gov't buildings-- if they are courthouses or have a court inside them, still off-limits regardless of security or lack of security).

Church carry will now and opt-in, if the church wants to allow it. Just like bars used to be.

Bars and nightclubs will be OK for carry now. Just like any other store, restaurant, etc. No need to opt in and no option to "opt out" other than using the criminal trespass law to ban specific people from the property.

Many other good things in here. The Governor mentioned stronger immunity laws, so a minor gun-carry violation won't strip you of immunity. In fact most of the gun laws now have a specific exception for if you have to break one of those laws and get a gun and use it in a gun-free-zone in necessary self defense or defense of innocent people.

Schools will be a little easier to carry in, with some fine-tuning but nothing wide-reaching.

Military personnel who've finished basic training and are over 18 are now old enough for a gun carry permit, even though for non-veteran civilians the age is still 21.

Djtrout81

This may be a stupid question but now that an 18 year old in the service can carry common sence would say that they could go buy a gun if they fall in the same category however this is the government.

Does anyone know the specifics of this scenario?

BornToHuntAndFish

God bless Gov. Deal.

This may be a stupid question but now that an 18 year old in the service can carry common sence would say that they could go buy a gun if they fall in the same category however this is the government.

Does anyone know the specifics of this scenario?

An 18 year old can buy a long gun from anyone (if the seller is willing) or a handgun from a private individual. An 18 year old cannot buy a handgun from a FFL.

That hasn't changed, and isn't going to because the limitations on FFL are federal law, and state law doesn't affect that.

Djtrout81

I was under the impression that selling a handgun to someone under 21 was illegal

biggdogg

I was under the impression that selling a handgun to someone under 21 was illegal

It is illegal for an FFL to sell a handgun to someone under the age of 21. But a person 18 -20 can buy a handgun through a private transaction.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
An 18 year old can buy a long gun from anyone (if the seller is willing) or a handgun from a private individual. An 18 year old cannot buy a handgun from a FFL.

That hasn't changed, and isn't going to because the limitations on FFL are federal law, and state law doesn't affect that.

It is illegal for an FFL to sell a handgun to someone under the age of 21. But a person 18 -20 can buy a handgun through a private transaction.

Biggdogg is correct.

It is important to remember, however, that in Georgia we don't have a Concealed Carry Permit. We have a Georgia Weapons License. It covers more than just handguns.
For example, a sword is considered a weapon, and one that can be purchased by someone who is <21. In order for anyone to legally carry one, they have to have a GWL (and an unhealthy attachment to Game of Thrones).