Any old, OLD wrasslin fans?

Capt Quirk

I remember watching wrasslin with my Dad, back when Rick Steiner was starting out with Kevin Sullivan's Varsity Club. It seems to me, that one of his gimmicks was an imaginary little friend that he carried around in a little box.

Can anyone else remember the storyline, or is it just something I only think I remember?

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I ate it up when I was a kid.

Funny enough, my sister and her boyfriend ended up having dinner with Rick Steiner not too long ago.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I ate it up when I was a kid.

Funny enough, my sister and her boyfriend ended up having dinner with Rick Steiner not too long ago.

I think he owns the Shoney's in Acworth. It may be his brother Scott though.

Big7

The Oracle
My 52 y/o BIL STILL thinks it's real..

My Dad used to like El-Mongo..
That was in the 70's.

:bounce:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I remember watching wrasslin with my Dad, back when Rick Steiner was starting out with Kevin Sullivan's Varsity Club. It seems to me, that one of his gimmicks was an imaginary little friend that he carried around in a little box.

Can anyone else remember the storyline, or is it just something I only think I remember?

Seem's like I remember his partner being Mike Rotunda

specialk

yes.....mid atlantic championship wrestling.....every sat afternoon.....

turkeykirk

The Bullit Bob Armstrong, Dusty Rhodes, Mr. Wrestling 1&2, Harley Race, etc. Used to watch them every Saturday night from the old Atlanta Auditorium. Great entertainment for a kid.

gunnurse

Up in Chattanooga, there was the usual story lines. You had the good 'uns, the bad 'uns, and the good 'uns who went bad and back again. On the good side, you had Bearcat Brown, Jackie Fargo, Jerry​ Jarret, and a handful of local up-and-coming wrasslers. For the bad side, there was Tojo Yammomoto, and The Germans with their evil manager Sol Weingroff. They were always pulling stuff out of their trunks like nickel rolls and salt packets to fling into their opponent,s eyes.

My mother was sure to be in our old green upolstered rocker at precisely 5:00 pm for the matches that were broadcast on WDEF in Chattanooga. The bad guys would always pull off some evil hibatchery to draw in the Saturday night regulars at the Memorial Auditorium in for the grudge match.

Harry Thornton and Nick Goulas were the promoters for all of this. That is, iffin' I remember the details right... Not as if I enjoyed this mess or anything. :biggrin2:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The earliest ones I can remember offhand were Wahoo McDaniels, Jay Youngblood, Gene and Ole Anderson, Bobo Brazil, and Ivan Koloff. we used to go watch the pro rasslin' at the junior high school gym. My wife's older sister dated Ricky Steamboat for awhile back in the 70s. She said he was not a very nice guy.

Grub Master

"Andre The Giant" was so big he would step over the ropes. I always felt sorry for the poor guy that had to get in the ring with him.

turkeykirk

Just remembered Abdullah the Butcher . Classic bad guy.

Duff

Oh yea. Had to go outside and turn the antenna to get channel 4 out of Spartanburg on Saturday. Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Shek, Big John Stud, ..... good times!!

ryork

I grew up with the old GA Championship Wresting/NWA (I think?) days. Lot of the folks mentioned above made their way through there. Also Tommy Wildfire Rich, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, the Midnight Express, the Rock and Roll Express, Tony Atlas, Harley Race, and the early Ric Flair days. Also remember those two skinny Mulkey Brothers that used to get their tails kicked by all the good ones on the Sat afternoon shows. Used to love Gordon Soley's commentating on the matches, he could make up all kind of muscles, bones and body parts and make it all sound so real.

This stuff today just isn't the same, won't watch it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea. Had to go outside and turn the antenna to get channel 4 out of Spartanburg on Saturday. Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Shek, Big John Stud, ..... good times!!

4 was Greenville, 7 was Spartanburg. ::ke: We had to climb up the bank and over the barbwire fence to the briar patch on top of the hill to turn it while somebody hung out the winder and hollered at you which way to turn it, and that it was rolling. :bounce:

ryork

And the Freebirds!

We used to go the VFW Fairgrounds in Carrollton for wresting back in the 1970's to the early 80's. There was an elderly lady who was always there that everyone called "Granny". She would get up in their face and beat them with her purse or an umbrella. She was almost as good as show as any of the wrestlers. Good times that seem long gone now.....

ryork

Had to go outside and turn the antenna

Yep, can remember having to have a team of folks to get the antenna turned just so my Grandpa could watch wrestling, among other things