PappyHoel

Is winter over?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

PappyHoel

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Funny you should ask, Yeah...winter is a done deal....I was just outside, and I could hear and see a flock of Sandhill cranes...not more than 30 min ago.

You wanna put some money on that?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That’s not much of a split. Looking less everyday like a PV split and more like entire PV coming to USA. @judah47 @jacobmeisel #natgas #PolarVortex #SSW pic.twitter.com/7AIcFdzMeG</p>— S GA Tiger (@jlhemmings) February 7, 2018</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jbird1

It would make sense....the early season storm followed by a late season storm in lieu of the more typical, single major chance/period in late January.

YankeeRedneck

If you've got water wings in your summer vacation stash you may want to get them out and check for leaks for this weekend.

DVhtaazXcAAgatH.jpg

Man if we had some artic air this would have been a heck of a snow storm wouldn't it?? Is this the moister we were talking about a few weeks ago?

RinggoldGa

I want to apologize to everyone now. I have to de winterize my camper next weekend. All but assures us of a bitter cold sustained cold snap at some point the in the following 30 days.

I'm pretty sure the Farmer's almanac lists my de wintereization as one of their metrics to monitor.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
We will see mid 60's and even 70's over the next two weeks. :banana: But will rain cyclically occurring over that same period.

A lot of hubub is being made about the current anticipated Stratospheric warming, trending negative AO and impending brutal Polar Vortex that could result and invade the US in early March. Currently some are getting very excited about it, but the fact remains nobody has a clue what the outcome will be yet.

As a reminder for all of you celebrating that Winter is over, here are a couple of March temps from 1993 as a reminder how fast things can change. If you remember 1993 then you'll remember what came with those temps as well.

Attachments

• archatltemp1993a.png
    archatltemp1993a.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 199
  • archatltemp 1993b.png
    archatltemp 1993b.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 193

PappyHoel

We will see mid 60's and even 70's over the next two weeks. :banana: But will rain cyclically occurring over that same period.

A lot of hubub is being made about the current anticipated Stratospheric warming, trending negative AO and impending brutal Polar Vortex that could result and invade the US in early March. Currently some are getting very excited about it, but the fact remains nobody has a clue what the outcome will be yet.

As a reminder for all of you celebrating that Winter is over, here are a couple of March temps from 1993 as a reminder how fast things can change. If you remember 1993 then you'll remember what came with those temps as well.

I remember it well. We had about a foot or more of snow in Athens. I remember watching my pine trees blow over and real life thunder snow. We were out of school the whole week.

RinggoldGa

I remember it well. We had about a foot or more of snow in Athens. I remember watching my pine trees blow over and real life thunder snow. We were out of school the whole week.

That was my freshman year at UGA. I don't remember a foot, more like 3-4 inches. The night before it rained all evening and at least till we went to bed (passed out) in the dorm about 230am. Woke up to snow. Evidently the cold air didn't get to us in time to make use of all the moisture. Didn't have to go far north/NW to see the crazy totals.

A buddy of mine and I walked up to 5 points that morning and bought the last 12 pack of beer from the gas station there. Joint looked like it had been looted as ALL the beer was gone and this was well before noon. We just carried that case all over campus and drank! Half the student body had the same idea. Was a very neat day in Athens.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

On that day here, there was nearly four feet of snow, with 15' drifts, and the low temp was right at 0. March snow is normal here. It snowed five feet deep on Mount Pisgah here in my county on May 7, 1992. I can remember several big snows in April.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It commenced a hard steady rain between 5 or 6 this morning and hasn`t let up yet. Been a few tornadoes between here and Seminole already.

Status
Not open for further replies.