Bond Swamp comment period ends in 4 days - please send a quick email

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Hi everybody,

I finally made time to write my Bond Swamp comments, are pasted here if anybody wants to use them as a starting point for their own comments.

Let's don't let the anti's win this battle.

Numbers of comments count, so even if you just jot a quick note that hogs are a non-native species that mess up the habitat and hunting them should be allowed, that will help.

We've got 4 days left to email comments in. Here's the link that gives sitrep and Carolyn's email address: http://www.fws.gov/bondswamp/publiccomment.html

thanks,

dave

-------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roswell, Georgia 30075
March 31, 2007

Carolyn Johnson, Assistant Refuge Manager
United States Department of the Interior - Fish and WildlifeService
Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
718 Juliette Road, Round Oak, GA 31038

Carolyn,

I have reviewed the March 2007 Sport Hunting Plan for Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, and support the proposed action alternative allowing controlled hunting to continue on this Refuge. Here are my comments.

I have had the good luck to have been drawn for a few Bond Swamp quota rifle hunts, and have archery hunted there as well.

Hunting on this refuge is a rare opportunity for a modern-day adventure in an undeveloped river swamp.

I have harvested three wild hogs at Bond Swamp, saw my first water moccasin there, and look forward to the duck sightings I typically encounter.

Following are two significant reasons why I think sport hunting should be allowed to continue as part of the Fish and Wildlife Service's management program, and why hunting is a compatible recreational use that assists in attaining the objectives of this National Wildlife Refuge.

1) Habitat damage. While an uncontrolled white-tailed deer population can eliminate plant species and reduce biological diversity, feral hogs wrote the book on it! Hogs do extensive damage by rooting in the soil for food and preying on nests of ground- and shrub-nesting birds. The high reproductive rate of hogs allows an uncontrolled population to reproduce quickly, multiplying the environmental damage they cause.

With no significant natural predators of hogs and deer, continuation of regulated hunting for these species is the most viable option for controlling habitat damage.

2) Stewardship of the resource. Hunters have a long history of being stewards of the lands they have access to.

Of the various user groups visiting a NWR, hunters likely probe the remotest corners. When 200 hunters have three days to hunt Bond Swamp, many acres are viewed. If any illegal dumping, logging, poaching, artifact digging, vandalism, or other negative activities are occurring, hunters can observe and report it. This monitoring function assists in Bond Swamp NWR's management objectives of preserving and protecting the ecosystem, species, and habitats on the Refuge. Best of all, it costs taxpayers nothing.

If hunting were to be discontinued on Bond Swamp or other NWRs, this valuable monitoring service would be lost.

I trust the presiding judge and courts will understand that allowing continued hunting will be a compatible use in the best interests of the resource, and that it adheres to the stated objectives of this and other NWRs.

Sincerely,

Dave Horton

Mojo^

I'm glad you brought-up this important issue. Email sent.

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Time for a few more hunters to bow up

I'm glad you brought-up this important issue. Email sent.

Mojo, thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking a swing.

9455 members. 156 of them on this board as I type this. And only two of us have posted on this thread to say we stood up to the antihunters. What in the world?

Are the majority of the folks on this board just going to roll over and let the anti's kick you to the curb? At what point are sportsmen going to get ticked off enough to stand up for themselves?

Wednesday is the last day to comment. Time for a few more hunters to bow up.

Five minutes out of your day. I think you can find time for that.

With all due respect,

dave

Eroc33

how did you harvest a hog? did you take a combine out there or did you pick it by hand?
I always thought you harvested crops not hogs.
lets be strong and not use these politically corect terms.
lets go kill, or slay some hogs!!!!

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Bond Swamp: hunters spoke up!!

Yesterday, I spoke with Carolyn Johnson (Bond Swamp Assistant Refuge Manager).

She had a very favorable report! By the end of the day Tuesday, she had received 444 written comments in favor of hunting, only 1 opposed (from HSUS). By mid-day Wed, she had received 94 more, most of them appearing to be in favor. Yee-ha!

Many of the comments had arrived just in the past few days. So it appears that when riled up enough, hunters do stand up for their rights!! Congratulations and thanks to all who sent in comments. Numbers count. When the judge weighs out 530+ yes votes vs. a few no votes, that will send a clear message.

I'm personally interested in HOW people learned about the issue. Georgia Outdoor Network email or forum? Georgia Outdoor News forum? Other forums? A magazine? Local newspaper? Other? If folks can post on this thread where they or others learned about it, that would be a help. The more we can figure out what works in communicating issues to sportsmen, the better we will get at taking the fight to the anti's.

Carolyn said the SE had the most public response of F&WS regions! The next step is for Refuge staff to summarize the comments and send them to Washington office by May 1. Soon after that, the comments from all refuges involved in the lawsuit go to Judge Ricardo Urbina.

Also: Bond Swamp will be starting their Comprehensive Conservation Plan public input process this spring. There will be at least one meeting in the Macon area, as well as opportunity for the public to comment via email for 3-4 weeks. If I understand correctly, this will be an opportunity for hunters and fishermen to be requesting changes in habitat management, research, maintenance, hunting and fishing opportunities, etc.

All sportsmen owe thanks to those who sent in their comments. 500+ pro-hunting comments is pretty impressive. If you didn't make the time to comment, you'll have the chance to do so on future issues. Make the mental commitment now, so that next time we'll be bringing 1,000 comments to the table....

Thanks again,

dave

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Thanks Dave for following up on this!!!!

Thats great news!