Best gun safe!

poolecw

The lock is more important than the safe. You're looking for a Sargent and Greenleaf type 2 combination lock. Beyond this, it comes down to the thickness and hardness of the steel, along with extra security features.

Most companies make lots of safes at lots of price points, so the name on the front means little. I look for the features described above and compare prices among the various offerings. Then I hire a locksmith to tweak the settings in the back of the lock while I change the combo. Very few electronic locks in this price range offer the security and longevity of the S&G type 2.

I would have to disagree to your comment that the lock is more important than the safe. The number one method that crooks use to get into safes is by hacking through the wall of the safe. Your run of the mill dope head isn't going to get into a safe by cracking the combination like some cat burgler going after the Hope diamond. he is going to go to your garage and get your axe and then proceed to use it to get into your safe. The second most common method a normal crook is going to use is to pry the door open. The number of bolts in the door has nothing to do with his ability to pry open the door. There's a lot of myths and lies that safe manufacturers use to sell you a safe. Key take way here is to get a safe with at least a 9 gauge wall and a 1/4" steel plated door.

Don't forget fire protection too. Since safe manufacturers do their own testing, they will fool you with their stated results. "Four layers of fireboard" doesn't mean jack. don't rely on the quantities of layers to make the sale.

I've been researching safes for six months now. Here is my top three choices so far:

1. AMSEC- Best fire protection (uses concrete poured walls instead of fireboard)..Look at their BF line of safes.

2. Sturdy- Built like a tank using very heavy guage steel. There are several upgrade options (more metal, more steel)

3. Steelwater (chinese made but has great specs for the price)

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I would worry about security, unless your not and just want fire protection and to keep away from kids. I have seen several youtube videos of name brand safes being broken into from 5-15 minutes with just some pry bars and a little leverage. Safe cracking starts at 2:30 this safe was cracked in 1:44. It may be a different story if the safe was bolted to the floor in a closet where they could not get pry bars in there. But it shows some of the weaknesses that most of us are not aware of.

Last edited:

Davexx1

OK, well just what is a good secure "safe" for the home?

I have looked around and like the looks and features of the Liberty brand "Franklin" model safe. It is sort of a mid priced safe but seems to be much better than the standard to low priced units. The Franklin 35 size is about 800 lbs, has a 75 minute fire rating, more/bigger door lock bars, etc. with lifetime warranty.

Which is the better and more secure safe door lock, a dial combination or the electronic push button lock?

Dave

SlowClap

The best safe company to buy from is Fort Knox. They allow you to customize the safe properties. More metal content in the door is going to be the most important factor in your safe. Always remember that in the security business (in almost every case) the more you pay the higher quality of protection you get. In my opinion customization does allow you to buy a cheaper safe (though I would like to remind you that safes are an investment, and you should buy when you can afford something that will do the job you need done), but it also allows you to be different. This article says it in a longer way: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-safes
But the TL;DR version is that obscurity and uniqueness in your ideas is going to be the best line of defense. If you can have a safe that you had a personal hand in designing to some degree, then it is going to be better for catching a thief unprepared.

Like the article says, though, you can just get a cheap safe and hide it amazingly well, but I would not chance it. Get a good safe. Pay the money and be protected.

TaxPhd

A safe that will deter a determined, experienced criminal is more expensive than most would be willing to pay.

Get a reasonably priced/configured safe that will stop the opportunistic smash and grab guys, and the teenaged potheads, and then get good insurance for your guns. Most guns are easily replaced, and a good policy will do a lot more than the safe will.

Most homeowners policies have very low limits without additional riders, and many require intrusive details about your collection to be submitted.

My insurance is with these guys:

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms-insurance

Very good coverage for very reasonable prices.

(I am in no way affiliated with them. I'm just a happy customer)

1776Flintlock

Any safe is better than a gun cabinet, wood or metal. I got a Bass ProFire Resistanr safe years back for ~ $1,000 on sale at the time. Flexible drawers to adjust if you need it. bass pro put me in with a moving company that had special equipment to get my safe up in m 2nd floor bedroom

SC Hunter

I bought a cannon from tractor supply when they opened one up in Americus. I got it on sale and 10% off because of the grand opening sale. I originally looked at the 64 gun first but bought the 80 gun wide body. I have guns on one side and ammo on the other and it is almost full. I like it and it looks good in the house.