johns mountain wma quota hunt

shootpse

Banned
i was wondering why the dnr set up this wma for a quota draw hunt, when we have been hunting here for 5 yrs now and have never seen more than about 6-9 people hunting here? why make this tract a quota hunt if anything to say its under hunted!!!!! they are allowing 75 people to hunt here over a 2 week period!!!! there has never been 75 people signed in all season to hunt therelet alone in a 2 week period!!! call me crazy but i think someone at the dnr has a screw loose!!!!!!!! :crazy: sorry for the venting but i just looked at the dnr website for next year looks like i will have to sign up for the draw and pray real hard::; that i get picked!!!!!!:huh:

Minner

Uuuhh, I don't know if you noticed it or not, but it was a quota hunt this past spring as well. First two weeks only, same as 2007. And I'm almost positive there's been a LOT more than 75 people signing in over the course of past seasons. I can't tell you the number of times I've had folks come in on me when I was hunting there. On two separate occasions, I've had butt holes come in on me and shoot turkeys that I had gobbling at me. One knuckle-dragger (sorry Jim I had to borry that term) parked less than 75 yards from my truck and w/in plain site of it. :banginghe

I still had some "hunters" (and I use that term very loosely) come in on me this year on the quota hunt. Personally, I am very much in favor of it.

N

newmoon

If you think Johns MT. is bad go to Pigeon and get on a gobbling bird, three diffrent times I have had a bird coming and some jerk slip in between me and the bird and kill them without making a call. I since have started carrying some skeet loads to offer some back up in case I have that problem again. alan

shootpse

Banned
yes we knew it was a quota draw last year !!! we have been hunting there the last 4 years in a row and i have yet to this day had a hunter sneak in on me!!!! you may call me a liar but its the honest truth sworn on the bible!!!! i dont know if we hunt far enough in and not next to the road but we have not had any problems there, but back to the draw we found out last year to late we already drove down to hunt , we go to sign in at the check station the night before and low and behold there is a big sign" only hunters drawn for the quota hunt can hunt the first two weeks of season" talk about a let down!!!! but we hunted another area and killed a bird!!!! also i forgot to mention they completely burned the entire 24,000 acres of johns mountain only 2 days before the season opened!!!! this year i already signed up for the quota draw!!!::; ::;

Minner

shootpse,

I'm glad you haven't had the bad luck with hunters there that I have had in the past. I usually only hunt it the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season before my thoughts turn to fishing. I imagine there'd be much less pressure after that but I don't go much to know for sure (like I imagine most people do).

Personally, I was glad to see the burn. There's very few food plots on John's Mtn. (and the once that are there are concentrated into a few areas) and this should be a huge benefit for the wildlife (especially during poor acorn years).

Also, not to seem argumentative, but they didn't burn anywhere near the whole WMA. I hope they will continue to burn like this in the upcoming years. It's been 6 or 7 years since they did a burn of this magnitude.

Anyway, good luck there this coming spring!!!