Wood Duck boxes

woodhawk

My sons want to start building duck boxes and I was wondering what would be a reasonable price for an all cypress box. The both like woodworking and they are trying to earn some gas money. I am trying to see if it is a feasible endeavor. So basically my question is, what would someone be willing to pay for a quality box?

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
You can build a wood duck box out of one 1X12X12' cedar board with very little waste woodhawk. 2 hinges and a small piece of hardware cloth and you're done. Rough cut cedar boards this size usually run anywhere up to $35 a piece. Hope this helps.

kevbo3333

That's awesome that they want to earn money and build box to help the wood duck population.Sadly Most people I know wouldn't buy them as they would make their own. I'm sure you could post some of Craigslist, gon marketplace, and Facebook marketplace and sell a few. As for price I would guess somewhere around the $50 mark for the box or $75 for a box on a pole with a predator guard. Should be able to about double your money.

Barebowyer

Sounds like a worthy endeavor. I think it's a good idea and I think a lot of folks are too lazy to build their own these days. I think they should give it a whirl.

C.J.

If you make some mounted on a pole with a secure well attached predator guard .

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful and do not turn this thread into a want to buy or sell.
Please Information only. PM are also OK.

Another thing that a wood worker could build is a wooded dilla trap.

ucfireman

I bought a few years ago for 50.00 each made from Cypress. I myself am too lazy and I would buy 1 or 2. I say go for it. If nothing else it is good family time and lesson in Capitalism. I used a 4 inch toilet flange mounted on the bottom and 4 inch PVC post. I had seen somewhere that would work to keep predators out and you didn't need a guard.