Rifle review: Tikka T3x

TJay

Not long ago I opened a thread asking for opinions on compact rifles. I had a scope without a home and was looking for something light and handy. The rifle I settled on is the Tikka T3x stainless synthetic and while it is not necessarily a compact rifle it is a lightweight rifle weighing in at around six and a quarter pounds right out of the box. The caliber is 7mm-08.
In 2016 Tikka updated their T3 rifle and called it the T3x. In my opinion the biggest improvement was an updated stock. The original T3 plastic stock was noisy and hollow sounding and drew lots of criticism. The new stock is filled with foam which makes it less noisy and there may be a cosmetic change which in my opinion elevates the new stock from "kinda cheesy" to acceptable. Also the pillar block was upgraded from aluminum to steel. Nothing earth shattering but a nice change. The magazine is still a plastic composite which doesn't bother me (except for the price for a replacement) as they are very functional and helps keep the weight (and price) down. The trigger guard and mag well is still plastic and that bothers me a little. There are a couple of vendors out there that offer alloy bottom metal (Mountain Tactical and Atlasworxs) if you have between $100 and $150 just laying around.
The Tikka trigger is easily adjustable and it is excellent! It is adjustable to between 4 and 2 lbs. I love the trigger.
The T3x no longer comes with scope rings. I guess there were a few folks out there that used them but most Tikka owners that I knew went with Talley or DNZ. I went with Talley lightweight rings.
Range time. I bought 3 boxes of ammo for accuracy. Remington Core-lokt in 140 gr, Federal Premium 140 gr with an all copper bullet and Barnes Vor-tex 120 gr. I also bought some RCBS dies for some load development later on. The previously mentioned "homeless" scope is a Khales 3 - 9 x 42 which I have had for a few years but it is still great glass. Both Federal and Core-lokt 140 grainers were unimpressive with 3 shot groups coming in at around an inch and a half. The Barnes Vor-tex 120 grainers shot very well with the first group right at an inch and the second 3 shot group right at 5/8 inch with two rounds going into the same hole. I will probably use the Barnes for hunting and I'll start working on an acceptable 140 gr handload shortly.
I paid $679 and after tax it was a little over $700. I would say price wise they are middle of the road. A friend of mine bought one just like mine except in 30-06 and he had similar results in regards to accuracy. Recoil on my 7mm-08 was negligible he said his -06 kicks like and angry mule. He replaced his recoil pad with a Sims and tamed that mule.
I very happy with this rifle and if you're in the market I would recommend you check them out!

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 793

wareagle700

Tikka makes a fine rifle. My newest is a 24" CTR in 6.5 Creed, it too has been extremely accurate.

Robert28

Great review! That's a nice looking rifle. I've been wanting to add a Tikka to my hunting stable but just haven't done so yet. Might better get to changing that here soon!

bullgator

Wait til you start loading for it.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Those Tikkas are some fine rifles. I've yet to handle the new ones. Great review.

Dub

The new version is truly an improvement over the former.

7mm-08 is a righteous cartridge, too. Kill'em dead from any feasible hunting range and do so without punishment to the shooter.

Kahles glass ???.......much respect. You could search high and low and not do better.

Talley LW re what's on my older version T3 270 WSM holding a budget Meopta.

They work well and are made closer than the nearest best bbq restaurant...

You, sir, have a deer rifle that is built to last and will see you through until you get bored and have to have new 5.3 Creedmore or some such.........

Sixes

Purchased one in 270 WSM after Christmas and topped it with a Leupold VX6 2x12x42. Straight out of the box, I backed the trigger down and sighted it in. The first two shots were with Federal Fusion ammo at 100 yards (the target with the two shots at the bottom right of the paper). I moved the scope and shot 3 rounds with Winchester Supreme Accubonds (same target as the first 2 shots). I also shot Federal vital Shok TC ammo, it grouped well too. I went back to the Federal Fusions and that is the other target and will be what I shoot while hunting. The camo is a mossy oak wrap kit.

Attachments

• guns2.jpg
    guns2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 711
  • Tikka.jpg
    Tikka.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 711
  • tikka2.jpg
    tikka2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 711

Dub

Purchased one in 270 WSM after Christmas and topped it with a Leupold VX6 2x12x42. Straight out of the box, I backed the trigger down and sighted it in. The first two shots were with Federal Fusion ammo at 100 yards (the target with the two shots at the bottom right of the paper). I moved the scope and shot 3 rounds with Winchester Supreme Accubonds (same target as the first 2 shots). I also shot Federal vital Shok TC ammo, it grouped well too. I went back to the Federal Fusions and that is the other target and will be what I shoot while hunting. The camo is a mossy oak wrap kit.

Outstanding results, Sixes. That had to be one fun range session.

I can't wait to break in my Tikka 270WSM on some deer !!!! :cool:

Poor gun has been sitting idle in my safe for way too long.

Nasty rounds....should take care of anything I need them to do.

mmcneil

Nice review. I wanted to get a 270wsm t3x, but came across a used t3 lite stainless in 30-06 I couldn't pass up. They are great rifles for the money. If anyone is looking for one Whittaker guns still has some t3x's on sale for a great price.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Outstanding results, Sixes. That had to be one fun range session.

I can't wait to break in my Tikka 270WSM on some deer !!!! :cool:

Poor gun has been sitting idle in my safe for way too long.

Nasty rounds....should take care of anything I need them to do.

I just bought a new T3 270WSM with all the bells and whistles recently. She won't be ready until next year though. Got too many other projects going right now and not enough $$$ to finish them all.

M77 Ruger

I just put a trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56, DNZ mount on my 270 wsm tx3 that my wife bought me for our anniversary. I haven't sighted it in yet but hopefully soon. I bought 2 boxes on Winchester 130gr ballistic silvertips. I sure hope it likes them.

66 POJ

I have the same gun in 25.06. Deadly accurate gun. By far my favorite hunting gun for deer.

wareagle700

Yeah Tikka makes an "ok" rifle. ;)

10 rounds at 104 yards.

Last edited:

wareagle700

Sorry, I think that original image was a tad too large. deers2ward, if you can, edit that quote so it doesnt show the huge picture. I don't want to make this thread difficult for others to read.

It is a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor. That was 10 rounds of reloads, all different charge weights ranging from 42.5gr to 43.4gr of H4350, looking for flat spots in velocity.

Darkhorse

I needed a milder cartridge in a lighter rifle. I've got enough Magnums to hunt whatever I want.
So I ordered a T3 light, stainless, synthetic stock in .308 and topped it with the old Zeiss conquest 3X9.
I think I bought it in 2007 and it's been the perfect gun for what I needed.

MCBUCK

I have a T3 light in 06'....it will test your manhood. I looked at a
.308 this afternoon.