Anyone hunt with a side-by-side shotgun?

dawgvet

I am just getting into shotguns though I have always been enamored with side-by-side shotguns. I currently primarily use my dad's old Belgium-made Browning Auto-5 and like it just fine, but I'd really like to find a classic old American side-by-side. My budget is fairly limited (daughter starting law school and two others in middle school) but I did see where one might find a decent shooter if you were careful. I had been looking at Fox Sterlingworths, Ithaca NID, or L. C. Smith Field Grade guns, trying to stay below $1000.

My main questions were
1) what features should I look for (barrel length, choke, etc)
2) what are your experiences with the different makes of shotguns
3) what pitfalls should I watch out for when potentially buying a used side-by-side?

My primary uses for this gun would be doves, hopefully a few quail, and some clays.

Thanks,
Jed

Quepos1

I grew up shooting a Stevens Savage 311 20 gauge and I still have it. I got it for Christmas in 1959. Barrels are choked Improved and Modified. I also own an Ithaca 12 gauge which belonged to my Grandfather and a Winchester Model 21 also in 12 gauge but it is choked skeet and skeet as it was originally purchased as a quail gun.

All are good guns but the Model will be too pricey.

There are some nice Turkish made doubles I'm told.

snuffy

I have two of the older model Stevens 311s. ( the ones without the checkered stocks)
A 20 ga. and a 12.
The 20 has 28" barrels and is what I dove hunt with.

I have a Browning BSS in 20ga IC/M that I purchased almost 30 yrs ago. It handles nicely and nice examples can still be found around for $1500 in good shape. Mine has non-selective single trigger and fixed chokes.

Something along those lines would work well for your needs, however in dove hunting a selective trigger can be handy IMO.

As for new guns, I like the CZs in a lower price range and they seem to have several models. My preference lies with the 20ga and 26" barrels for usefulness.

Elkbane

I own and regularly shoot two Fox Sterlingworths - a 20 ga I inherited from my grandmother and a 12 ga I purchased later which was manufactured in the same year. Both are 1941 manufacture dates.

I had the 20 gauge refurbished, receiver polished bright, checkering recut and wood refinished, re-blued etc. The 12 gauge, I left as is, but I did have a recoil pad installed.

If you are used to shooting an A-5, the vintage shotguns will probably feel comfortable to you as they typically have quite a bit of drop to the stock. Some shooters who are used to shooting modern guns can't adjust a shooting style where you shoot with the head in a more erect position.

There are several in Cabelas Gub Room for sale under $1000. Look critically at the head of the stock where it meets action. That area and rearward through the center of the grip (the wrist) are the weak spots in vintage doubles. You want to avoid discolored wood (oil soaked), chips and cracks in that area. Stock repairs are difficult and costly, sometimes impossible, and they are extremely expensive to replace. Look at item reference #6219403 for an example of what decent wood looks like. There is another one 6187620 that has wood in poor condition for comparison.

I prefer 28" barrels on 20's and 30" barrels on 12's - they swing and handle better than the shorter barrels. Remember, the gun you have has 5+" of receiver in front of your hands before the barrel starts. Doubles don't have that.

You'll get used to and appreciate double triggers real quickly.

Both of my guns were Full/Modified when I got them. I had the forcing cones modified to reduce pressure from modern shells and had the chokes on both opened up to IC / Light Modified.

I don't baby either of mine - the 20 ga has untold number of hi-brass reloads through it - the 12, I just shoot low velocity loads.

PM me if you have questions. It's hard to find one with much color case hardening left and decent bluing on the barrels for $1000, but you can find a decent servicable gun in that price range.

Elkbane

tom ga hunter

In 1972 I changed my bird gun from a M12 to an Ithaca/SKB 280e. It is a 20ga with a straight stock, 25" Q1&Q2barrels, and a single trigger. After 2 seasons I gave it up & went to a Browning Citory, I just couldn't get use to the straight stock. In the early '80's I got a really nice 12 ga M21 with 26" M&IC barrels. I still use it occasionally for doves when I go to a really nice shoot. In 2014 I bought a 85% Fox Sterling worth tried it a few times but just couldn't get use to double triggers. Moral try to shoot a round of shorting clays with an old double before you buy.

deast1988

I have one, it's an AYA side by side. Modified by Full. 2 3/4in chamber. I found it at a pawn shop. What I like about this one is it came with original box an sales receipt from 1972. Also had the inspector paperwork an stamp an signiture where he approved it before left the factory. Love the gun still carry once or twice a year.

amoore28

I have also heard some of the turkish guns are pretty decent and good price on them. I have used my dads fox sterling worth sxs in 16 gauge. it is a sweet shoot. personally i prefer i sxs to any other set up for skeet and dove

abrannon

I really like the sxs I have a few, but now they only come out when I small game hunt. I have a Browning Cynergy (OU) for Dove now.

For a descent sxs Utility gun, you can look at Stoeger for a new gun or pawn shops for a used Savage/Stevens/Fox/Aya that were all sold under their name and under various store brands. Heck every once in a while you might even find a old H&R SXS.

Most will have set chokes of Mod/Full, all thought I have a Huglo with both barrels being set to X-Full Choke.

On used guns look at the bores, the wood (cracks in the stock). Take it down and look for wear at all of the mating surfaces. See how easy it goes back together, did anything not seat properly at first, does the take down rattle after reassembly, etc..

Usually all you find wrong is some rust in a barrel and the finish is worn to 80-90%. Use that to negotiate the price.

deers2ward

I have a beautiful Ludwig Borovnik side by side (2 triggers) that was made for my grandfather and has his name on the barrel. Has a fox, a rabbit, ducks, etc....beautiful gun. After he passed and I received it, the recoil pad was hard as a rock....circa 1950s. Took it to a shop and got a new recoil pad and then took to a dove shoot last year.

The enthusiasm was short-lived. Every time I shot, the trigger jumped hard against my finger during recoil....blistered after about 12 shots, and within 20 I was split open and bleeding good. I was using high brass...maybe I should have been using low brass. Took it to the truck and swapped out for a modern semi-auto and went on to get my limit without incident and in comfort using my bird finger. I'm not interested in shooting it anytime soon...not without some leather gloves anyway.

ripplerider

I have a Stevens model 311 16 gauge double barrel that I used to love to grouse hunt with, back when we had enough grouse up here to make chasing them worthwhile. I love the way it points when I throw it up. It currently gives me a little peace of mind leaned against the wall by my bed.

Quepos1

A Classic

I have a Stevens model 311 16 gauge double barrel that I used to love to grouse hunt with, back when we had enough grouse up here to make chasing them worthwhile. I love the way it points when I throw it up. It currently gives me a little peace of mind leaned against the wall by my bed.
r

Don't see many 16 gauges these days but in my youth of the late 50's early 60's many of the men of my Father's generation said the 16 was the perfect quail gun. My Dad always used a Browning Sweet 16 for both quail and dove.

Buckhead

I have a Browning BSS in 20ga IC/M that I purchased almost 30 yrs ago. It handles nicely and nice examples can still be found around for $1500 in good shape. Mine has non-selective single trigger and fixed chokes.

I had the exact same shotgun and hunted with it for years. 20 ga, 26", IC & M with curved grip. Light weight and handy, great balance. I am constantly buying/selling/trading and sold that shotgun when I acquired a 20 ga Citori. One of many guns I regret selling.

Last edited:

doublebarrel

A 16 gauge A H Fox in my opinion is the best all around dove,quail,grouse gun you can buy although shells are more expensive. BB

308 WIN

A 16 gauge A H Fox in my opinion is the best all around dove,quail,grouse gun you can buy although shells are more expensive. BB

Just ordered some 16 gauge #6's yesterday. Been many moons since I last bought some. $8.79 a box I thought wasn't to bad. I love those old side by sides and single shots.

Poor Poor Fisherman

Winchester Model 24 Side by Side

I have had my Winchester Model 24 side by side since I was a about 16. That was some 57 years ago. To this day, I love to hunt with it and shoot it, though I have several other much newer shotguns. I guess because I originally learned to shoot it as a young man and have used it so much, it just feels right in my hands and when I sight down the two barrels. And except for some parts that had to be replaced with the ejector, it has operated perfectly all these years. It has the two triggers which I prefer with a double barrel and the full / modified barrels. It only accepts 2 3/4 shells but I have hunted dove, quail and duck with it very successfully.

However, if I was starting as a new shooter today, I most likely wouldn't go with a side by side. I would get the best automatic I could afford with the various chock tubes and take advantage of its versatility.

My problem right now is which grandson do I Will my side by side to!