Inshore Crooked River Report 8/5

trippcasey

We woke up at 0400 on Saturday morning in hopes to be in the river by 0600 to hunt bait before the tide climbed up into the grass. Well, we were throwing a net at 0530, and had more bait than we needed before the sun came up. We made our way to a few holes we normally fish on our way to a spot we both wanted to try. Nothing at first, so we didnt waste a lot of time at either spot. Finally at about 0700 or so we came to where we wanted to fish. Boom! First fish a keeper trout on first cast. Then a 5' Bonnethead. We were a little mad at that, but stayed anyway. Im glad we did. We landed three nice slot reds, 2 over slot (including the 37" one pictured) a couple of keeper drum, and another trout. Some rain started to show on the radar so we pulled anchor and headed back to the hill. Not a bad morning.

Bait is everywhere, but the shrimp have black gill. Im curious if it is going to be as bad as last year. I hope not. Id love to have some nice fall shrimp to help improve the fall bite. Not all of them had it but a good portion of our bait was infested. Maybe the good news is that there seems to be much more shrimp than this time last year. Hopefully good numbers will survive into the fall.

We also landed several rat reds and short trout. The action was nonstop. With the amount of bait running inshore along with the amount of dinks running right now, we are lining up to have one heck of a fall bite if the cards all lay down in the right places. Like I said before, the only thing that worries me is the shrimp population. The inshore bite is already strong. I cant wait for it to pick up even more in the upcoming months.

Attachments

• IMG_1397 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1397 (800x600).jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_1401 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1401 (800x600).jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_1412 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1412 (800x600).jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 825

armyvet4583

I think I fish that same drop. Pm me the GPS coordinates and if it is indeed the same spot we can compare notes.

trippcasey

I think I fish that same drop. Pm me the GPS coordinates and if it is indeed the same spot we can compare notes.

Its by that oyster rake near the marsh grass in the river. Right on the other side of that sand bar in the river. You know what Im talking about. :D

Latest posts