Factory second bullets for reloading...is this okay?

Fork Horn

Anyone have any thoughts about purchasing factory second bullets for reloading from a company like Midway USA? I purchased a box a few weeks ago with no issues and thought they shot fine. Thinking about buying more but noticed that one of the things they say about the factory seconds is to check the diameter before reloading, which makes me a bit nervous. The 100 that I've already purchased, reloaded and shot seemed fine. Perhaps I'll not shoot any quarter inch groups with them, but for what I was doing, they performed as well as bullets which cost much more.

Anyone ever had a problem with the factory seconds?

transfixer

I bought a box of 9mm, going to use them for general plinking and target practice, haven't loaded them yet, but don't see a problem when using them for that purpose.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I haven't heard about size issues...just blemishes of some type. I might use them for general plinking too in pistol calibers....not sure I would use rifle other than .223s.

Gator89

For ringing steel, blowing up water jugs, use the least cost projectiles available.

If you are packing a micrometer in your range bag, pay full price.

bullgator

They're fine. Usually just blems. No company would risk legal issues by selling out of spec components.

deadend

I've loaded several thousand of the Midway blems and all of them shot exactly like firsts. Most of them are Hornady and usually overruns.

doomtrpr_z71

I have loaded quite a few in my 6.8, sometimes the polytip seconds are not even blems, they just have the wrong colored tips.

bighonkinjeep

I use the nosler 2nds all the time. Never an issue for me. Picked up 500 of the .30 180gr accubonds a while back and it appears the blem was someone made a mistake with the tips during manufacture. They are orange instead of white. big whoop. They shoot great in everything I've tried from .308 to .300RUM. I love the 110gr Accubonds in .257 as well. One ragged hole and they kill deer just like their higher priced first run brothers. sometimes I have to wait for notification that the particular weight or style of bullet I want is in stock at shooters pro shop. It helps to keep cost down if I order a bunch of them because of shipping.

This fella didn't notice any difference when the 110gr Accubond 2nd found the boiler room.

Last edited:

rosewood

So far, the only issue I have had is with some 168 BTHP bullets. I assumed they were Hornady blems, but they measure differently. I even compared them to the SMKs and were different also. The distance to ogive is different, so they seat at a different depth. No issue shooting, just would require me to re-develop a load with that bullet. Starting to think maybe they are Speers, but don't have any to compare to.

I did buy a box of Hornady SSTs blems and a few of the tips were deformed. I just culled those from my target loads.

Other than those, I have shot countless blems without any safety issues.

Rosewood

Had some .300Wby's done with seconds and they stood equal with my non-seconds where I saw absolutely no difference. Seconds as I was explained have minor cosmetic imperfections that do not alter the overall performance, so a blemish on my bullet? I dont think what I shoot is going to get up and say "hey! you shot me with a factory second and the blemish made me die less quickly"