Black bellied whistling duck

Reel Nauti

I just spooked up three ducks out of my farm pond. I'm near Tifton, GA. They whistled like crazy and had a bright orange/yellow beak. The closest thing that I can find to it in my waterfowl ID handbook is the black bellied whistling duck. I'm going to try to get pics if they come back in. Is this a rare duck for our area?
Thanks.

Mexican Squealer

Mexican Squealers (Black Bellies) are thick as bees in Darien. Raised well on Butler in the wood duck boxes looks like. I would expect their range to expand. Will see thousands where I hunt in LA come Sept 15.

Reel Nauti

I appreciate it. Anything other than a wood duck gets us all stirred up around here! I looked up some sound bytes and I'm almost positive that it's a black bellied whistling duck.

across the river

There are plenty of them in Georgia during the summer, as they expand North in the state to breed. Some even make it to an above the fall line. Come the season when it gets colder they will mostly all be gone for the most part except for a few along the coast.

Core Lokt

Would be nice if you could hunt them during early teal while their still in the area.

Yep, come first cool snap and they will be gone...

OP- yes, they whistle a lot when flying. Looks like a cross between a small goose and a duck (to me). In flight all black with 4-5 white bars on their wings, pink legs/feet and bill. They use the WD boxes on the lake here.

DixieDawg2shot

One good thing about a hot duck season. We killed 30 one hunt last season and the other people I was hunting with acted like they were scared to eat them. I'm still eating whistlers, that's a pile of meat when you get the thighs too. I was trying to upload a picture but can't get it to load for some reason.

Barebowyer

Nice looking birds. I have yet to cross paths with them but I look forward to it.