Lanier - Friday Big Fish Tourney

Lanier Jim

Jim and I tied up for a little tourney with Mitch and Jimmy today....biggest fish. Then we'd meet up at Pelican Pete's and do the trophy presentation...Brandt even came to join the fun and sit with us at lunch.

Well, Jim won the 4 man big fish tourney with a solid 3#. He received his cash and trophy from Mitch...then just started talking trash. Fishing was tough....Heck, I had too real good fish on the spybait....one straightened out the center split ring and off he went....the other pulled off right at the boat. Then Jim starts with his "when I say net, that means get the net"....blah, blah, blah...just fish and hush.

We boated 11-12 fish - Jim was topwater only...I was spybait, topwater, swimbait. and drop shot.
Jim is the proud champion this week...he teared up a little during his acceptance speech while 3 people looked on.....none of us listened but we did look on :)

Tons of fun guys....LJ

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_115636787.jpg
    IMG_20170818_115636787.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 657
  • received_10208867590641667.jpg
    received_10208867590641667.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_20170818_141408093.jpg
    IMG_20170818_141408093.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 654

Scout'nStripers

I gotta say that it was a lot of fun yesterday. LJ was at a disadvantage because we used my boat and I'm a power guy while LJ is finesse....It doesn't work. The bite was slow in the morning but we had a good west wind and I knew it was a matter of time before the popper busted a good one. The fish in the picture wasn't the trophy fish as we didn't even take a picture of my biggest that won the trophy. It was another brute over #3. LJ caught a few decent fish on the moving drop shot and lost a few nice ones on the spybait. I did nothing but pop all morning and boated a limit on the popper with 2 being 3lbs or better. It was funny when we were all standing on the dock at Pelican Pete's and they said "let's see your fish". I whipped out the big boy and they didn't even want to weigh their fish, their fish wasn't even close and just said "you win".....LOL

Thanks for the laughs and coming out with me LJ and it was good to finally meet Hookum. Maybe we can fish together soon Hookum.

Coenen

Looks like a fun afternoon! Surprised none of you had a creative interpretation of "big fish."

Lanier Jim

Jim neglected to tell y'all about his acceptance speech....when he started, we all just walked off and got back in the boats. I think he stood there talking for about 3-4 more minutes talking to anyone that walked by :)

Nah - Jim and I had a plan...moving baits early then drop later when the sun got up good. I had one straighten out the split ring on my spybait...got him near the boat...strong run...then the split ring thing. I changed it out with a strong split ring and hook from another bait. I think Jim still had big fish...the one pictured was indeed a little smaller - he just released it before I could get a picture.

Coenen

Jim neglected to tell y'all about his acceptance speech....when he started, we all just walked off and got back in the boats. I think he stood there talking for about 3-4 more minutes talking to anyone that walked by :)
Did he remember to thank all of his sponsors? You can't be a pro fisherman without doing that.

Scout'nStripers

Did he remember to thank all of his sponsors? You can't be a pro fisherman without doing that.
I did. I had a whole list written down on a piece of paper I had prepared the night before. I was only like 3 minutes into it when everyone walked away.:huh::huh:

Lanier Jim

When you thanked your #1 sponsor, Speedo, that was it for me. I really didn't need to see the new fishing thong.

Scout'nStripers

When you thanked your #1 sponsor, Speedo, that was it for me. I really didn't need to see the new fishing thong.
Jim, it doesn't matter how many times you ask, I'm not going to drop shot in a Speedo while singing Rod Stewart's "Do ya think I'm sexy". That's just another sick fantasy of yours and I'll not be a part of that kind of abuse, thank you.

Coenen

Get it printed in Kryptek, slap a "Huk" logo on there, and watch the dollars roll in.

61BelAir

Hey I have never been on Lanier, but always read the horror stories of crowding and idiots on it. I bet you could keep a lot of other boats aways off wearing that. LOL Instant fishing privacy.

Lanier Jim

Nope....you would have thought it was KVD and Edwin Evers fishing....we had about 200 boats following us and Jim was striking poses on the bow of the boat.

Coenen

Pop-a-mania, runnin' wild, brother!

giphy.gif

CMH

I was in the other boat with Jimmy and that was the toughest day we have had all year. I threw a fluke and he threw a spybait and I think we boated 11. Congratulations to Jim for his success with the popper.

Scout'nStripers

Pop-a-mania, runnin' wild, brother!

giphy.gif
That's some funny stuff right there.

I was in the other boat with Jimmy and that was the toughest day we have had all year. I threw a fluke and he threw a spybait and I think we boated 11. Congratulations to Jim for his success with the popper.
Thanks CMH, it was tough for us too. I had to make a lot of casts to get that fish and I literally caught it 10 minutes before lunch.