Anybody know how to make a good worm bed?

aa136

I made one of the beds out of a tote but I dont like it much. I know people used to use old freezers, but I dont know how they did the air and drain holes. Anyone got a better way? Im also looking to buy red wigglers by the pound

lilburnjoe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just start you a compost pile with leaves and kitchen scraps, and coffee grounds. You will have more worms than you can shake a stick at. Plus, you will have great compost for the garden !!!

DeerHunter06

take some old carpit lay it on the ground and put cornmill up under it you will have worms. theres a man on almon rd in covington that rasis worms and sells them he proble tell you how to make a worm bed to

LittleHolder

I used a coffin casing, the thing they ship em in. I got info from my county agent about the soil. I would put newspapers over the soil, then cardboard. I got some old screen windows and weighted them down to keep critters out. The feed I used was chicken feed that had spilled or gotten wet from a local farmer with houses. Rember to have access to water to keep em damp. I was on well water then and I don't know if chlorine in municipal water would hurt em. Check with your county agent. All of what I just wrote is what I recall from 25 years ago. But I had TONS of worms. Good luck and have fun.

starvin

another thing that works is horse manure, we had horses for ten years and the poop makes great worm bed material. We had night crawlers the size of Kindergartners pencil.

If you find a shady spot in the yard, dump cooled used cooking oil there. The red wigglers will draw to it. Keep it covered with something so the birds cant find them.

Thats what I have done and it works well.

fishtail

Old bathtub.
Location needs to be away from direct sunlight, they will cook.
Make a lid out of 1's, needs to be tight but not waterproof. Provide about 3/4"airspace between lid and tub.
Fold a piece of window screen wire to about 8" square and lay over drain hole. Keep exterior of drain hole free from being blocked.
Add any and all of the above mentioned soil.
Buy or dig worms each fishing trip and add the remaining ones to the bed.
Feed about once a week with cornmeal or table scraps.
If you want meal worms also, add way too much corn meal. They will come!

ghoterman

Here's the best way I ever found

Get an on chest type freezer that don't work, or an old bath tub.If it's a freezer, be sure it has a drain hole or drill holes in the bottom.Put gravel in the bottom and fill it about 3/4 full with top soil. Now, here's where it gets technical. Build a rabbit cage the same size as the top of the freezer/tub with 1/2 inch hardware cloth as the bottom of the cage, then get a pet rabbit and put it in the cage situated over the tub/freezer. Buy a couple boxes of red wigglers and put them in the top soil. Buy a 25 or 50 lb. bag of Purina Chicken Layer Feed. Be sure it's layer feed! Every week or 2 sprinkle a cup or two full of layer feed in the dirt and work it in with a garden trowel (work it a couple inches deep) Between the chicken feed and the rabbit manure that will be gravity fed into the dirt you will have the best worms imaginable! I got this idea from a professional worm grower in 1985 and it works