Are you allowed to hunt fox squirrels in Georgia?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They still call elms "ellums" in central NC and Sc, too, Nic. :)

ripplerider

They call them "ellums" in the Banks/ Franklin co. area of Ga. too. Can anyone P.M. me a good wma for fox squirrels, preferably in North or Northwest Ga.? I'd like to plan a trip to target them next fall. I've only seen a couple in my life. Most of those were in Madison co. and I can't hunt that land anymore. Does Johns Mtn. wma have enough to be a weekend destination? I'd like to check out that part of Ga. anyway. My nephew used to hunt it, killed a nice 8-pt. there and one of his group killed a really big 8, but I understand it's pretty crowded nowadays.

Poo Bear

Fox squirrels are very large, beautiful and extremely vulnerable species. They are slow and stupid...which is why you don't see many. I personally would not kill one unless I intended to mount it. They could easily be driven to endangerment or worse.

If I am meat hunting I would kill grey squirrels even though foxes are much larger. AND another idea is to squirrel hunt for greys and trophy hunt for a really special fox squirrel to mount. The cool thing about foxes are they have various color patterns as opposed to greys that all look the same

hoohoorjoo

Morgan and Greene counties have multi-colored fox squirrels packed in as thick as a 3 yr. old cut-over lol! I couldn't hardly take a step without kicking one on the land I used to hunt in a little area called Godfrey.

owl

As I was told fox squirrels were hunted hard during the depression and became hard to find, I don't think you could hunt them for a good while after that. Now its not that hard to spot some while hunting.

Anvil Head

Killer, boomer is our local name for red squirrels. They live mostly at higher elevations, and like NGS said, are usually found in woods with more evergreens. They are about half the size of a gray squirrel and about twice the size of a chipmunk, and are fast as lightning.

They like to get way up in a tree and throw stuff at you while you're turkey hunting. Used to see a lot of them in Hanging Dog back when my big hemlocks were still alive. Pesky little buggars.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Now these are birds names. Do ya'll know them? Yellowhammer, Rain Crow, snow birds.

Yep, same things we call them up here. Flicker, cuckoo, and junco.

wvdawg

Staff member
Killer, boomer is our local name for red squirrels. They live mostly at higher elevations, and like NGS said, are usually found in woods with more evergreens. They are about half the size of a gray squirrel and about twice the size of a chipmunk, and are fast as lightning.

Growing up in West Virginia, I remember the old folks calling them "fairy diddles".