War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sherman was said to have spared a Ga city from destruction. Truth is they did burn stuff there but not to the extent of later towns. Another Truth is Sherman didn't go through this town during his march to the sea.

What was the town and where was Sherman ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Eatonton and courting an old flame?

Well not really in the order you answered them.

Sherman is said to have spared Madison. If he did it was by orders. He was with another wing that was SW of the wing that went through Madison.

Sherman was with with the wing that did go near Eatonton. All the wings joined forces at Millegeville

westcobbdog

Everyone knows James J Andrews died in Atl. from hanging.

Of the additional 7 or 8 union soldiers who were hung for being "train stealers", what Southern City in the deep South did they perish in? It was not Atl.

Also, when the local populace and some Southern troops first rounded up the Raiders, where did they take them and what was the name of the famous jail they incarcerated them in?

Resica

Of the additional 7 or 8 union soldiers who were hung for being "train stealers", what Southern City in the deep South did they perish in? It was not Atl.

Also, when the local populace and some Southern troops first rounded up the Raiders, where did they take them and what was the name of the famous jail they incarcerated them in?
I'll guess they were hanged in Kingston. The other parts I don't have a guess yet.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Can yall see the ground yet Resica ?

They were tried in Knoxville but returned to Atl to be hung.

Pic060-A35.jpg

westcobbdog

Good info Cheathamhill. I read Stealing the General a few years back but read a historical times rag recently that read those 7 or 8 bought it in Knoxville.

Speaking of Cheatham Hill, toss out any WBTS questions for the board.

Also, what somewhat famous yank with lots of relatives died charging those works?

Who thought it a good idea to align his men up Roman battering ram style, resulting in many more deaths?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Where in Ga. did Stoneman's horsemen get repelled by the home guard ?

Bonus points if you know what now famous weapon is said to have been used during this defensive action.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Outside Athens toward Watkinsville at Barber Creek.
Double barreled cannon.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Where in Ga. did Stoneman's horsemen get repelled by the home guard ?

Bonus points if you know what now famous weapon is said to have been used during this defensive action.

Outside Athens toward Watkinsville at Barber Creek.
Double barreled cannon.

You got it Jim. It was a small group of the home guard made up of old men and young teenage boys. They had 3 cannon which made the Dyanks think it was a bigger force. They retreated and went north into western Jackson County (Barrow today) and were captured. Who knows how history may have been changed if that rough bunch had made it into Athens. The home guard made a heck of a difference that day.

It is my understanding that this was possibly the only time the double barrel was ever fired in actual combat.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I expect that is probably the only time it was fired in anger.

This Athens action was on the tail end of Stoneman's Raid. Gen Serman, who was after Atlanta, had ordered him to move against the railroad near Macon and the Andersonville Camp. He was not successful at either objective. Gen Stoneman did not make it to Athens. He had surrendered earlier to Gen Iverson at Sunshine Church just north of Old Clinton. He surrendered to a much inferior force thinking the Confederates had a much larger one. A small part of his force escaped from there and headed toward Athens where they were repulsed. Gen Iverson caught up to what was left at Jug Tavern near Winder. Mr. Stoneman had himself a sad raid.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Indeed a fitting occurrence with the invaders being captured. Old Stoneman was the highest ranking Union officer ever taken prisoner during the war.

The Confederates ended up exchanging him and he went on the cause troubles later on for the good guys.

westcobbdog

Indeed a fitting occurrence with the invaders being captured. Old Stoneman was the highest ranking Union officer ever taken prisoner during the war.

The Confederates ended up exchanging him and he went on the cause troubles later on for the good guys.

Good info Milk, who do you think was the highest ranking CSA General captured in battle say before late 64'?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good info Milk, who do you think was the highest ranking CSA General captured in battle say before late 64'?

Been off spring breaking with the grandboys and back in the swing now.
I just don't know if I ever remember reading about that. Who was it?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Who was commanding General of what is often referred to as the Confederate Irish Brigade at the battle of Fredricksburg in Dec. 1862 ?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
He fellows, I talked a member into posting a picture of a Whitworth sniper rifle and the bullets for it in the firearms, reloading, and scopes forum.

I had never seen a Whitworth bullet, octagonal and very interesting. My first question to him was how difficult is it to load.

Y'all might want to take a look. :biggrin3:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.