price brackets of fly rigs.....

Alan in GA

What $$ would you suggest to get a good USABLE new fly rod?
I paid $12 for my first (1967), $35 for my second (1980?),... and am thinking a nice graphite rig now. I still have my first two that I still use- glass rods: Browning Silaflex 7' 5 weight and a Garcia 8 1/2' 8 wt.

What would you think? $350 at least??
Bream, Trout, Bass.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to put a lot of money into a rig to have a good fly rod. I caught thousands of trout on the old cheap Eagle Claw glass rods. My go-to rod for the last couple decades has been a 3/4 weight low-end Redington that I paid about $150 for, and it's never let me down over the years and untold numbers of fish of all kinds. Cabela's has some great quality fly rods and reels for good prices. Check out some of their Cabela's branded combos in the $100-$200 range, or even less on sale.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
No way. TFO is very "usable". Cabela's currently has the Pro on sale for $100. That's a steal.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/barg..._SEQ_105764580?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

You don't have to put a lot of money into a rig to have a good fly rod. I caught thousands of trout on the old cheap Eagle Claw glass rods. My go-to rod for the last couple decades has been a 3/4 weight low-end Redington that I paid about $150 for, and it's never let me down over the years and untold numbers of fish of all kinds. Cabela's has some great quality fly rods and reels for good prices. Check out some of their Cabela's branded combos in the $100-$200 range, or even less on sale.

What they say, and another vote for the Cabelas rigs. I have three of them and they are great.

Anvil Head

I went back to my old Garcia 8wt fiberglass a few weeks back, just to see what's what...........after three bass I've decided to use it more often from now on. Love my St. Croix, don't get me wrong, but it flooded back some great memories of my Pop and brothers all fishing with them glass rods out of a 14' Sears Game fisher - three casting with one skulling (no chance of Pop buying a trolling motor and battery back then). If we didn't catch them, we whipped into submission.....wonderful days on 'Toona.

Tentwing

Alan;

I will cast another vote for that TFO . I have an older version of that rod, and it is very smooth casting. That saying something, cause I'm a bamboo guy.;) That is a great price too.

Tentwing

fishndoc

For an all around, dry fly/nymph/streamer, trout/bream/bass rod, there's nothing out there better than a TFO BVK rod. Close to the top of your budget, but it will be the last rod you buy.

If you just want a dry fly rod, look at the Redington CT rod. I swear it casts as well as an IM6 Winston, and you can find them on sale for less than $100.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
There are some great new 'glas rods being turned out today in lightweight rigs. Check out the Reddington Butterstick series.

Bream Pole

I have two Cabela's fiberglass rods and they are very nice for cheap money. Had 2 TFO rods that were excellent that I have given to my Atlanta son who is taking up trout fishing. I also used to own a Cabela's graphite rod and it was excellent also.

jigman29

I have two redingtons that are great. I have a 3wt for fishing tiny streams and a 5 for fishing slightly bigger water and for catching bream. Neither will break the bank and they have lifetime warranties so they have paid for themselves many times over.

Yotes

Banned
I bought a Cabelas rls combo normally 300 but it is 159 now. It is great. I have caught fish and it has not broke. They should still be on sale.