Verdict on 30-30 No Safety Question

TontoKemosabe

Well, I would like to say thanks to 15 members for giving their thoughts about my question about my gun. 715 people looked at my question so I thought I would give the lowdown on what I found out.
Question was (for you newbies)- Why didnt my Winchester Ranger S#54009900 have a half cock on it, because it certainly didn't have a "lawyer button" cross bar safety? My old 3030 winee didn't in high school in 1983. That was what was confusing me. I was worried that some MORON messed it up before I got it.

The short answer is that it didn't need one.
Don't read anymore unless you are interested.

The older winchesters had a half cock because the hammer rested on the firing pin. Not a good thing if a round is in the chamber No No: good in a fight because you have one more round, no so good if you drop things with regularity or have a habit falling down which I am if circumstances call.
I can't remember if it was Gunsmokeer, Longhunter, Hawire, or Woody777 who hinted at it - but after a little research on the web and the post about double action revolvers, I found the answer.
The half cocks job was to keep the hammer from resting on the firing pin(duh) on the older model 94ae, tappers,etc.
I guess the Winchester took the idea from double action revolvers to transfer something called a rebounding hammer on their rifles . It allowed the hammer to sit safely about 1/4 away with no chance of a misfire loaded in chamber.
I checked this out on my gun. The hammer rests at least 1/4 away from the firing pin and will not budge. When you cock it and pull the trigger the hammer is allowed to go completely to the pin. Lets say that I have a round in the chamber. The hammer is "locked" in the rest position away from the pin even if the the lever is pressed down. :yeah: it will not fire. Nice little feature.

It wasn't until later they added the cross bolt safety. From a marketing view I think this was a big mistake- they could have advertised this as the safest hunting gun ever made........

As my habit- I always wait until I'm in the stand to put a shell in the chamber, it's just nice to know that something wasn't wrong with the gun.

Anyway, I like this gun a whole lot better than my old one. I'm just glad I figured out the safety thing.
Thanks to everyone who commented- fishtail, polkat, longunter, etc.
BamBam-happy hunting with your new gun, you promted my question. GON is great.
:cheers:

So thanks everybody and no I think I'll take this one the whole way with me.
Bad news is that I found out that they made a Browning BLR 30-06 and I think I need one. :banana:
Only problem is that it is really safetied up, I think it has a half cock to thumb bar moves in front of the pin, etc. It is complicated. They should have asked Winchester.
I love my Winchester Ranger 30-30 :cheers:

There is NO substitute for the safety between a shooter's ears.

one hogman

On Your Gun does the lever still have to be depressed against the Stock Fully to fire?? like the older ones??

TontoKemosabe

Hogman-
Yes, when the gun is cocked the lever has to be depressed fully to fire. The hammer won't drop if you pull the trigger and the lever button isn't depressed.
It's just a nice option. I was so used to the old way. I still will go about with the unloaded chamber though hunting.

one hogman

10-4, Thanks, I have a couple of 94s one !966 commemorative and a 1971 both in 30-30 I love those guns. I don't think they will ever die, John M Browning didn't make any junk, That's for sure:cool::cool: