West Point Spot or Largemouth???

StriperrHunterr

The weight of this fish and its condition are a pretty good indication it’s a hybrid because Alabama bass (formerly Alabama spotted bass) as a species typically max out around 20-22 inches (with the mouth closed). For one to hit or even exceed 5 pounds (much less 7) requires considerably more girth than this fish appears to have. Having said that, most of the ‘spotted bass’ in the ACF Basin (below Morgan Falls Dam) are true spotted bass sometimes called northern or Kentucky spots.

Spotted bass (M. punctulatus) are more of a northern species native to the Mississippi River Basin so they typically do not grow as large as Alabama bass (M. henshalli) native to the Mobile Basin. In the middle Chattahoochee spotted bass rarely exceed 3 pounds while Alabama bass (Weiss, Carters, Allatoona, Lanier, Burton, Chatuge, Hartwell, Russell, etc...) commonly exceed 5 pounds. All this and the fact that this fish appears to have several intermediate and mixed characteristics suggest it is most likely a largemouth x spotted bass hybrid.

Alabama bass, Micropterus henshalli
AlabamabassGONII_zps67e72ce5.jpg

Spotted bass, Micropterus punctulatus
482010VaGON_zpsf2e3265b.jpg

Cheek scales much smaller than body scales
SBCheekScales_zpse411ead3.jpg

Spotted bass, Micropterus punctulatus
SBCheekScalesIII_zpse827a200.jpg

Cheek scales much smaller than body scales
SBCheekScalesII_zps8a8039f0.jpg

Largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides
LMCheekScalesII_zpsea392dcf.jpg

Cheek scales similar size as body scales
LMCheekScales_zps99d72057.jpg

Largemouth x Spotted bass hybrid
WestPointLMGONVII_zpsf593b867.jpg

Cheek scales appear to be intermediate size
WestPointLMGONVI_zps60a1fe1d.jpg

BOOM! Called the fish, and the expert.

Sweetwater

Thanks Shoalbass....not just for the answer....but the explanation. I recently posted pics of what I thought was a record redeye bass I caught outta hillabachee creek in Franklin...turned out to be a spot.