Lake Lanier - Fishing in Marinas

BOBSCAY

I have been a regular visitor to Lake Lanier for over 50 years. Have had property on the lake and have had boats kept in marinas. It has always been my understanding that fishing is not allowed inside of marinas

Last weekend I noticed several FLW boats fishing inside marinas. Even read an article this morning quoting the winner as fishing in a marina.

Are marinas no longer off limit?

mlbowfin

I've never seen a sign at any marina saying you couldn't fish around the docks. I have seen signs that you can't fish from the docks because they are private property..

BoosterC

The one time I fished as a FLW co-angler some 15+ yrs ago. The only thing off limits on the COE lake were fuel points at a marina. No fishing withing 100 yds of refueling dock.

Restricted areas of fishing are very lake dependent.

Keep in mind COE lakes are considered "public waters". The Dock and seawall may be privately built and owned but the water it is on is not.

Here is from FLW rules website:
***Contestants may fish anywhere on tournament waters available to the public and accessible by boat except areas posted or otherwise designated as “off-limits,” “no boats,” “keep out,” “restricted,” “no trespassing” or “no fishing” (or similar language or markings intended to restrict public access) by FLW, commercial property owners and/or local, state or federal officials, or within 50 yards of a contestant’s boat that was first anchored. ***

bilgerat

Senior
I was working on a boat at the sunset cove marina dock at lake lanier islands last friday and watched a FLW guy pull 3 bass from under the docks . They were fat 3 to 4lbrs. He culled 2 from the livewell .

BassRaider

i fish em all the time. can't think of a single one that has any signs or any laws against it

The one at Hideaway Marina (old Starboard) had signs posted. Had the guy there try to run me off several times. Don't know if still off limits? Others, had no problem. Just be respectful with your casts and keep the noise down and all is good.

SouthGa Fisher

i fish em all the time. can't think of a single one that has any signs or any laws against it

Try fishing LaPrades marina on Lake Burton. One of the girls working there told me I couldn't fish there, so as I moved away I kept asking when could I resume my fishing. She had no clue what to say.

But, they do have signs, big signs, that say "No fishing in the marina." Not sure how they could enforce it. Also, I haven't eaten there since.

TroyBoy30

The one at Hideaway Marina (old Starboard) had signs posted. Had the guy there try to run me off several times. Don't know if still off limits? Others, had no problem. Just be respectful with your casts and keep the noise down and all is good.

my boats are stored at hideaway. never seen a sign. it's too muddy anyway

BOBSCAY

Thanks for the info guys. FYI, the GPS on my previous boat had the marinas "cross hatched" as no fishing zones.

mmill143

I didn't see any mention in there ^ that specifically outlawed fishing in marinas.

i only saw "(c) Fishing is permitted except in swimming areas, on boat ramps or other areas
designated by the District Commander."