Lower Striped Bass size

Kestas69

We had hot summers 10-20 years ago also. But there was plenty of big fish. It didn’t happen over last couple of years. From my experience big fish population going downhill for 7 years now. Ever increasing boat traffic keeps fish deep longer than they would like to, fishing pressure and possibly some kind of disease in my opinion it’s three major factors. Caught 14 stripers last night on bomber A. As usual 5-12 pounders. On third of them had some kind of disease in they mouth.

Coenen

We had hot summers 10-20 years ago also. But there was plenty of big fish. It didn’t happen over last couple of years. From my experience big fish population going downhill for 7 years now. Ever increasing boat traffic keeps fish deep longer than they would like to, fishing pressure and possibly some kind of disease in my opinion it’s three major factors. Caught 14 stripers last night on bomber A. As usual 5-12 pounders. On third of them had some kind of disease in they mouth.
Those are the "Gill Lice" or copepods we've been talking about, they're a parasite. They don't kill the fish directly, but they are a stressor in less than optimal water conditions. The effect striped bass especially because the fish tend to school so tightly.

Lanier's striped bass depend on stocking to replenish the population, so big fish numbers this year are largely dependent on stocking numbers and recruitment several years prior. The stocking classes around 2010 were not very successful, hence, not very many big fish around. The stocking classes from more recent years, 2013, 2014, and 2015 were quite successful, resulting in the abundance of 8-12lbers that we're currently seeing.