United States Corp Of Engineers Lake Lanier NOTICE

The United States Army Corp of Engineers parks around Lake Lanier will stop accepting cash on April 1. Fees won’t change at the 12 day use parks around the lake, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said in a Monday, March 12, announcement. The parks that will stop accepting cash include Buford Dam Park, Lower Pool East, Burton Mill, Lower Pool West, Keith’s Bridge, Old Federal Day Use, Lanier Park, Two Mile, Little Hall, Van Pugh North, Long Hollow and West Bank.
Credit and debit cards will be the only form of payment for the fees at the parks: $5 parking, $2 walk in access, $5 boat ramp use and $20 commercial vehicle parking. Six Army Corps parks will have neither a cash vault nor a credit card reader: East Bank, Vann’s Tavern, Balus Creek, Tidwell, Little River and Thompson Bridge. At these parks, visitors must have a recreation pass sold by the Army Corps. The passes include the annual pass, an America the Beautiful senior pass, an America the Beautiful access pass or an America the Beautiful annual pass. Beginning Sunday, the office selling the passes will be open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., according to the Army Corps, at 1050 Buford Dam Road in Buford.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It is so they can be more helpful and considerate to the public, don't ya know.

StriperrHunterr

At least they're opening the pass office 7 days a week. That 930-330 M-F was a bear to get around and the park access points were always sold out of them.

ryanh487

I wish they would get a card reader at the Allatoona ramps. I went for the first time in a while to a ramp that used to be free and they were suddenly charging $5, cash only. Had to drive 20 minutes each way to the nearest ATM and back.

Rabun

Beginning Sunday, the office selling the passes will be open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., according to the Army Corps, at 1050 Buford Dam Road in Buford.

So you can't get these passes on line...you have to go to their office?

Rabun

So you can't get these passes on line...you have to go to their office?

Actually just copied this off of their web site...assuming these are the correct passes? Snail mail will still work.

How to Get Your Annual Pass
In Person
Lanier Project Management Office, 1050 Buford Dam Road, Buford, GA 30518
You may purchase your pass during regular business hours, subject to availability.
Many parks sell annual passes at their entrances.
By Mail
Checks for $40 made out to USACE F&A OFFICER may be mailed to:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Attention: Annual Pass, P.O. Box 567, Buford, GA 30515.
Once payment is received, you should get your Annual pass by mail within 7 – 10 business days.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
"this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (13).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (13).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,002

luigi

Are annual passes the only option at the 6 parks listed that won't have card readers? Or can you use a day pass you purchased at one of the other parks that day?

61BelAir

I had always heard that it was illegal to refuse US Currency as payment for any business. You can refuse any/all credit cards, checks, etc., but had to accept cash money. I'm pretty sure this was confirmed by a Secret Service / Treasury agent that used to come to the bank for meetings a few times a year.

luigi

More and more businesses are going cashless.

My doctors office no longer accepts cash for bill payment. Cashless is great for businesses in a lot of ways.

Possum

Banned
More and more businesses are going cashless.

My doctors office no longer accepts cash for bill payment. Cashless is great for businesses in a lot of ways.

How so?

across the river

"this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

I had always heard that it was illegal to refuse US Currency as payment for any business. You can refuse any/all credit cards, checks, etc., but had to accept cash money. I'm pretty sure this was confirmed by a Secret Service / Treasury agent that used to come to the bank for meetings a few times a year.

Legal tender for all DEBTS, which means a creditor cannot turn down currency as a means of repayment for a DEBT. There is no federal law stating that an entity or business has to accept currency for something you haven't gotten yet. They can tell you they will only take a card in exchange for using the boat ramp, a hamburger, etc...... but if they let you use the ramp "on credit" and they billed you later, then they would have to accept currency.

luigi

Cashless is great for businesses in a lot of ways.

Some of these are debatable, but:
  • No cash, so less chance of theft/robbery, either at the place of business or while taking cash to the bank
  • No cash, so potentially more people are able to process transactions (perhaps no bonding required, etc)
  • Saves time having to count cash and change, both for each transaction, and at the beginning/end of the day
  • Quickly balance registers, you instantly have electronic totals
  • You have electronic detail of transactions that is easier to track and store
  • No worry about counterfeit bills

All the above ends up saving the business money.

Of course, there are disadvantages as well, including risk of fraudulent/stolen credit cards and having to implement strong security measures for the electronic transactions, but most places already accept credit cards or some other electronic form of payment so those elements are already present.

If you are able to provide "self-checkout" stations, then that can save on the staff needed.

I can see that the USCOE is likely taking this approach to the parking fees to reap at least some of the above benefits.

TroyBoy30

good move

29103766_1521151897997609_653533970494914560_n.jpg

29133614_1521151794664286_369062987807326208_n.jpg

29186218_1523400594439406_9162831406211006464_n.jpg

luigi

That answers my question about using a day pass from another park at one of the 6 parks without credit card machines. I have visited East Bank occasionally in the past, but I guess no more. I don't go often enough to any of them to justify an annual pass.

ryanh487

Pure corruption

How so?

I guarantee you there were dozens and dozens of cars not actually paying for their passes and slipping under the radar. If nothing else, the pass required areas will see a lot less traffic and maybe lanier will calm down a bit.

Possum

Banned
Some of these are debatable, but:
  • No cash, so less chance of theft/robbery, either at the place of business or while taking cash to the bank
  • No cash, so potentially more people are able to process transactions (perhaps no bonding required, etc)
  • Saves time having to count cash and change, both for each transaction, and at the beginning/end of the day
  • Quickly balance registers, you instantly have electronic totals
  • You have electronic detail of transactions that is easier to track and store
  • No worry about counterfeit bills

All the above ends up saving the business money.

Of course, there are disadvantages as well, including risk of fraudulent/stolen credit cards and having to implement strong security measures for the electronic transactions, but most places already accept credit cards or some other electronic form of payment so those elements are already present.

If you are able to provide "self-checkout" stations, then that can save on the staff needed.

I can see that the USCOE is likely taking this approach to the parking fees to reap at least some of the above benefits.

No actually none of those “benefits” save money, they all cost money. Not sure if you are aware that the businesses get charged fees every time they accept a card as payment. The fee ranges but on average it is around 3% of transaction.
I accept all forms of payment in my business but I hate the credit card fees. I’ve paid over $100,000 in fees over last three years.
The government should take cash too because there is still a ton of people who don’t have a debit or credit card.