#1 reason hunters get busted...

bamahawgs

not to wreck the thread but a friend of mine sent me some corn scent from wisconsin and the deer loved this stuff it drove the deer bananas ..i sprayed it on my boots and two fawns licked the ladder i climbed up...he later told me they outlawed this stuff has anyone else every had a exprience with some stuff like this(ties into the scent thing)

livetohunt

I think this is a very easy question to answer..SCENT. Most deer smell you and spook before you even see them if you are not hunting the wind right.

Sterlo58

Scent is the #1 reason. Movement is critical too but they will wind you long before they get close enpough to see you.

golffreak

Because they wear Scentlok and "Hunt 360".:rolleyes:

Mr.MainFrame10

Scent is the biggest factor for sure. Deer will definitely bust you by seeing you, but at times you can stare them down and they will mosey on along. But if they ever smell you, the game is over.

RipperIII

I always set up with the wind in my face or at least cross wind from where I suspect they will come...I am sure many deer have scented me from behind and moved on undetected,...I have had deer close to with in just a few yards directly down wind of me with out my knowledge, but they only blew or stomped when i made some subtle move...like answering my phone(vibrate):banginghe

having said that I've had deer right around me not even flinch when the vibrate went off...

Ohoopee Tusker

I always set up with the wind in my face or at least cross wind from where I suspect they will come...I am sure many deer have scented me from behind and moved on undetected,...I have had deer close to with in just a few yards directly down wind of me with out my knowledge, but they only blew or stomped when i made some subtle move...like answering my phone(vibrate):banginghe

having said that I've had deer right around me not even flinch when the vibrate went off...

Down wind doesn't always mean they can smell you. What I mean is there are up drafts and thermals, a deer 40 yards down wind is more likely to smell you than one directly under you. The greater the distance your scent travels the larger the area it spreads.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
scent

problem is all the deer that wind you that you never see or hear

Here it is...............

The only way you know you were busted in the first place was you either saw the deer or heard it blow as it retreated.
How many smell where you walked 100 yards from your stand and went the other way you never knew were in the area?
I don't think it's sight or scent, I think the deer pattern us(call it a 6th sense if you will) way before we pattern them.
The sound of a 4 wheeler from 1/4 mile away, crossing your trail where you walk to your stand.
Deer are in the woods 24/7 365, for most areas they go at least 7 months and don't have any human activity in the woods. Then all of a sudden they hear trucks, 4 wheelers, and talking in places there hasn't been any for awhile.
And people wonder how the deer know it's hunting season.

Just my thoughts.......

Sargent

Here's my theory, and I have done a small bit of informal research to come to it.

Smell is their most honed sense, but it's effectiveness is based on environmental factors.
- The higher the relative humidity, the slower scent "travels".
- Prevailing winds are the best to hunt.
- Slightly higher winds (with low relative humidity) wreak havoc when it comes to being winded.
- High winds (from a scent standpoint) are not as detrimental because the wind dilutes the human scent before it gets to the deer. This is why deer are instinctively dormant on very windy days.

Sight, specifically the ability to sense movement and the recognition of a non-consistent pattern, is not as keen as smell. However, it is not altered by environmental factors as much as smell. Therefore, sight may be a more reliable sense for deer.

I have lost many a deer while being out of the wind, out of sight, and still. My only flaw (that I can think of) was making eye contact. There is definitely a "sixth sense" when it comes to this.

Ohoopee Tusker

Here's my theory, and I have done a small bit of informal research to come to it.

Smell is their most honed sense, but it's effectiveness is based on environmental factors.
- Slightly higher winds (with low relative humidity) wreak havoc when it comes to being winded.
- High winds (from a scent standpoint) are not as detrimental because the wind dilutes the human scent before it gets to the deer. This is why deer are instinctively dormant on very windy days.

Sight, specifically the ability to sense movement and the recognition of a non-consistent pattern, is not as keen as smell. However, it is not altered by environmental factors as much as smell. Therefore, sight may be a more reliable sense for deer.

I have lost many a deer while being out of the wind, out of sight, and still. My only flaw (that I can think of) was making eye contact. There is definitely a "sixth sense" when it comes to this.

Great point. I never make eye contact or stare at an animal for more than a few seconds.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I'll go with this too. They will smell you long before you see them or they see you. That's where movement and not making eye contact comes in to play.

I've had them come in on me dumb as dirt and never know I was there. Other times they have come in on me and busted me right away so thumbs up on the "Sixth Sense" as well.

I think the biggest danger is when they come in groups of 3 or more. There will be one of them watching everything.

I have also found the higher you climb, the less scent is a factor.

Bushman13

When a deer is in close, I always look away very slowly and then freeze. I'll keep my glances at 1 to 2 seconds after that. Animals know when you are eyeballing them.

Great point. I never make eye contact or stare at an animal for more than a few seconds.

Rem270

I normally hunt 20 to 25 feet up a tree. I hardly ever get winded (that I've witness first hand) or have deer see me in the stand. What gets me is little noises, like a creak in the stand or the click of a safety, etc. I have shot multiple times at a deer with one under the tree stand looking around that never looked up, but if the stand shifts and makes a noice while I am positioning myself for a shot they hear it and look right at me. I agree sight is a key sense along with smell but look at their ears in referrence to their head, if you don't think they can't hear you coming a mile away you are crazy!!

12gamag

When a deer is in close, I always look away very slowly and then freeze. I'll keep my glances at 1 to 2 seconds after that. Animals know when you are eyeballing them.

Ive noticed the same thing-deer seem to know when someone is watching them...

dominantpredator

For a restless hunter, it probably is movement that gets them busted. However, with the mature deer, scent will get even the most well hidden hunter busted. Them little ones ain't real bright yet.....