Arguments agains Atheism by some of todays best thinkers

ky55

Perhaps you didn't see my reply. Check it out and tell me what you think. Sometimes we talk passed each other before the interwebs can catch up.

Sometimes active discussions pass up my pitiful typing skills.
Yes, I saw it, and I see exactly what you mean.

gemcgrew

My apparently incorrect assumption that most Christians care about the “lost souls” who go to He!! I guess.

Seems like this was from the Calvinist folks.....

The chosen few..

We are the pure and chosen few
And all the rest are CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoreded
There’s room enough in CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored for you
We don’t want heaven crammed.
He11 was created for that very purpose.

WaltL1

What annoying detail do you have in mind?
From "our" perspective the fact that you believe what you do and more importantly what you think/judge about other people is the result of nothing more than the geography of where your mother spit you out.
To us that's significant.

To you/Christians that may be completely insignificant. In fact I would assume that you believe God intended it that way.

gemcgrew

From "our" perspective the fact that you believe what you do and more importantly what you think/judge about other people is the result of nothing more than the geography of where your mother spit you out.
To us that's significant.
That you believe it to be fact is significant.

To you/Christians that may be completely insignificant. In fact I would assume that you believe God intended it that way.
The Christian understands the significance of "you must be born from above".

WaltL1

I'm not following you. That I believe what to be fact?
This? -
The vast majority of religious people believe the religion and its teachings of where they were raised. That certainly doesn't apply to everybody or all circumstances but a large majority.
The Christian understands the significance of "you must be born from above"
ok.

ambush80

It's truly humbling to think of how many vessels of wrath were made per the elect. Fear and trembling is a proper response.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It's truly humbling to think of how many vessels of wrath were made per the elect. Fear and trembling is a proper response.

The kicker is, no matter how much a Christian lives their life thinking that they are part of the elect, no matter how hard they think it....they may not be.
Believing in a religion where you must be chosen doesnt automatically make you chosen.
Many may get to the pearly gates only to find them locked.

It's much easier to believe in a god and believe that you are special to that god instead of thinking about death and the reality that none of the religious beliefs are even remotely true.

Israel

BANNED

Yes.
Yes it is.
And facetiousness has its place of exposure in it.

WaltL1

The kicker is, no matter how much a Christian lives their life thinking that they are part of the elect, no matter how hard they think it....they may not be.
Believing in a religion where you must be chosen doesnt automatically make you chosen.
Many may get to the pearly gates only to find them locked.

It's much easier to believe in a god and believe that you are special to that god instead of thinking about death and the reality that none of the religious beliefs are even remotely true.
Has anybody EVER heard a Christian say "I believe in the whole Elect thing (in whatever form) but I'm not one of them" ?
I haven't.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Has anybody EVER heard a Christian say "I believe in the whole Elect thing (in whatever form) but I'm not one of them" ?
I haven't.
Truth
They elect themselves.

TripleXBullies

Truth
They elect themselves.

I don't understand the elect thing. I think I have heard many of them say they believe or hope they are part of the few. IDK that I've ever heard one say that they are in fact one of them? Maybe they can chime in. There are probably those from both sides.

ambush80

I don't understand the elect thing. I think I have heard many of them say they believe or hope they are part of the few. IDK that I've ever heard one say that they are in fact one of them? Maybe they can chime in. There are probably those from both sides.

Good to see you around 3x.

If I were to become a Christian I would be compelled by scripture to believe in Predestination. Here's why:

1. God is always all powerful and sovereign. There are many passages in the Bible that indicate that God is in control of everything all the time since from infinity.

2. God is omniscient. He sees all and knows all since infinity.

If point 1 is true then for freewill to exist one would have to assume that God turns off his sovereignty to let YOU be in charge if even for just that moment. If He does that then He is no longer sovereign over you for that moment. You might surprise Him with what you've done. That's impossible because of point 2. In order for God to be surprised by anything you do He would have to turn off his omniscience power. I don't see how that can be done given the Biblical description of how His omniscience works.

In Genesis when God says "Adam? Where are you?" do you think God really doesn't know where Adam is or what he's done?

I'd be interested to see if the believers reasons differ from mine.

TripleXBullies

That's an interesting way to put it. If I was to subscribe to that then I guess I'd hope that I was elected. How could I know that I was?

Does this explanation for predestination lead you to be more comfortable with your current stance that Christianity is not true? Because it's how he made you to be anyway.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That's an interesting way to put it. If I was to subscribe to that then I guess I'd hope that I was elected. How could I know that I was?

Does this explanation for predestination lead you to be more comfortable with your current stance that Christianity is not true? Because it's how he made you to be anyway.

I figure that if there was a god and I was supposed to believe ...I would.
If there is a god and I am not supposed to believe ...I am on course. Id have no chance anyway.

Or
There may be a god, unlike anything man can imagine, and all these man made religious books are nothing close to being true.

Or

No god(s) and we are all whacked in the skull.

Last edited:

ambush80

From what I can tell from the predestination guys here they believe that you will know by the fruits. They seem to accept that they might not actually be elect but they believe that they should act like it.

If Christianity is true then I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing and I may end up being one of the elect after all. To believe I would still need some "just for me" revelation.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

Good to see you around 3x.

If I were to become a Christian I would be compelled by scripture to believe in Predestination. Here's why:

1. God is always all powerful and sovereign. There are many passages in the Bible that indicate that God is in control of everything all the time since from infinity.

2. God is omniscient. He sees all and knows all since infinity.

If point 1 is true then for freewill to exist one would have to assume that God turns off his sovereignty to let YOU be in charge if even for just that moment. If He does that then He is no longer sovereign over you for that moment. You might surprise Him with what you've done. That's impossible because of point 2. In order for God to be surprised by anything you do He would have to turn off his omniscience power. I don't see how that can be done given the Biblical description of how His omniscience works.

In Genesis when God says "Adam? Where are you?" do you think God really doesn't know where Adam is or what he's done?

I'd be interested to see if the believers reasons differ from mine.

God literally can't see him because he's wearing ASAT camo - or at least that's my interpretation! :p

oldfella1962

I figure that if there was a god and I was supposed to believe ...I would.
If there is a god and I am not supposed to believe ...I am on course. Id have no chance anyway.

Or
There may be a god, unlike anything man can imagine, and all these man made religious books are nothing close to being true.

Or

No god(s) and we are all whacked in the skull.

oh there is no dispute whatsoever that we are all "whacked in the skull". :crazy: Every religion I know of emphasizes humility and that we humans need to constantly improve ourselves. I disagree with the Bible saying humans have dominion over animals though - we are a different species but only because we evolved to fit a certain niche in nature, and as our world changes we will be replaced by whatever species evolves to fit the changed environment.

WaltL1

oh there is no dispute whatsoever that we are all "whacked in the skull". :crazy: Every religion I know of emphasizes humility and that we humans need to constantly improve ourselves. I disagree with the Bible saying humans have dominion over animals though - we are a different species but only because we evolved to fit a certain niche in nature, and as our world changes we will be replaced by whatever species evolves to fit the changed environment.
Cockroaches.
In the end cockroaches will have dominion over all :bounce: