Jack ties a fly

jalawson

This day and age, I have been more than a little concerned about a sense of entitlement I see in younger generations. I am hoping I can prevent that problem with my own kids by keeping them active. I am more than pleased to say that they are all very interested in fishing. I think that fishing provides certain qualities in people that I want instilled in my kids; first and foremost: patience and discipline.

The other day, I bought a fly rod and a fly tying kit for my seven year old, Jackson. Yeah, I know, seven is too young, right?

This morning, I took him fishing at 4:30 a.m. We only fished early morning and returned to the house. Without prompting him whatsoever, this is how he spent the rest of his day:

Attachments

• Jack tying flies.jpg
    Jack tying flies.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Jack working on flies.jpg
    Jack working on flies.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Jack concentrating.jpg
    Jack concentrating.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Jack displaying flies.jpg
    Jack displaying flies.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Jack casting in the yard.jpg
    Jack casting in the yard.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 503
  • jackson and the horses.jpg
    jackson and the horses.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

jalawson

I'm very proud of him. I'm sure that the flies aren't tied correctly and his form isn't perfect. But he tied these flies all on his own and practiced in the back yard. Our horses seemed to like his form.:fine:

And I love the patience and discipline he displayed in an effort to further something he loves.:cool:

F

fishlipps1952

really and truly, these days, and with this economy, fly fishing may well be one of the best things you could get your kid interested in....no boat required, and not a lot of expensive equipment....a rod(probably the biggest investment), a reel, some fly line, and some flies and popping bugs....and tying his own really gives him a chance to be creative, and give him a great sense of accomplishment..

back when i fished over at Neely-Henry a lot, i always carried my fly rod.....on slow bass days, i'd break it out and have a BLAST!!!...big bream, warmouths, and a bass once in a while....

well done!!...both of you!!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
That's one talented young fellow JA...I know you must be very proud of him. Also, he's going to set an example for Nate and Mattie(sp), coming up behind him.

That is just Great......we can see from the pics how focused he was and didn't waste any time getting out there and practicing either. He's going to be one heck of a fisherman, with Patience and Discipline.:cool: He made an impression on me when I met him though.

You better watch out!:bounce: I can hear it now "Daddy I always catch more then you with my Inventions.":D

Cletus T.

Very nice......that's the good stuff right there!

Thanks for sharing it with us.....he is going to be one heck of a fisherman!

Tugboat1

Very determined looking young man right there ... very cool. And some good looking paints in the background.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
That is just awesome!!!!! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jarred

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Triton Mike

Love to see kids with a fly tying vise. You can be so creative not only in trout fishing but also for bass fishing. 30 years later and guiding for bass I still use my fly tying vise to give me an edge. Great post jalawson and I also agree with Mr Fishlipps about fly fishing. I miss my creek fishing.

Mike

Chris S.

Some of the most fun he'll ever have will be using that fly rod.Congrats to jack on his artistry.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
way to go yall !!! and good for you to catch it with the camera and share with us !!!

gabulldog

its not to young my son at seven learned how to tie crappie jigs and he loves it and they work too =) your raizing a fine son there keep at it both of you

adesoto

I'm impressed with the little fella.. Good Job! I have the slightest idea of a how to use a fly rod nor tieing flies...
I agree with tllewis does look like a beautiful place to raise children.. I'm Jealous!

anglerEd

I gota tell you, that is absolutely a beautifully thing. You are so right about the attitudes of some children these days but yours are gong to be exceptional. They will turn out to be good fishermen too.

StriperAddict

I gota tell you, that is absolutely a beautifully thing. You are so right about the attitudes of some children these days but yours are gong to be exceptional. They will turn out to be good fishermen too.

Exactly.

Thanks for sharing such a great post & pics, you have every reason to be proud of that lil guy!

:clap:

Latest posts