2011 Bassmaster Elite Series on West Point Lake

I clearly stated I didn't have a dog in this fight. I do not work for the C of C.

ESPN had over 75 employee's in LaGrange for the high school football game telecast. That was with an anticipated viewing audience of only 600,000 nationally. They had people down to review/approve the football stadium BEFORE agreeing to telecast the game. ESPN is very specific and demanding - they even specified the brand of water that had to be served to the football teams - the brand of bottled water!

Now, it is my understanding ESPN made the location call on this tourney. We can disagree with it all we want - its a free world. But to suggest that ESPN did not review each site and determine which location suited ESPN the best is kinda silly.

Beside the fisherman, the common denominator in all of this is ESPN. ESPN has been around the country producing their bassmaster shows. They know what works and what doesn't work. I do not have a list of the ESPN criteria but you can bet your bottom dollar if ESPN thought Highland was the BEST place to host this, that's where it would be. I agree with an earlier post...follow the money....ESPN's money. ESPN will produce a 1 hour show, streaming video of weight in on ESPN3.com etc.

In terms of production cost, tv viewership, website presence etc etc this is alot bigger than a high school football game. ESPN wouldn't do the game without reviewing the stadium first. Does anyone really believe, that ESPN, think about ESPN - a national television network - that will have loads of money tied up in production (much more than the high school game) of this tourney would simply have no input as to where to host this thing? With the amount of money and manpower it takes to produce this thing it is simply farfetched to think that ESPN would "take the word or fold under the pressure of any C of C" - ESPN has the most at risk and the most to loose to NOT control the details. ESPN is accountable to a national viewership and the advertisers - at the end of the day they really do not care about what is best for a local C of C. It's about what is best for ESPN.

If you want us to believe that ESPN and the Bassmaster Elite Series (the Super Bowl of bass fishing) are just showing up around tourney time with their fingers crossed that the location will work out sight unseen and based on some recommendation by some little ole Chamber of Commerce is a town of less than 30,000..well that doesn't fly very far either...just say'in.

Here's a better idea. If you want the actual facts, just call the owner of Highland and ask him. He's always there working. Or search the archives for the Lagrange paper. You'll see the tournament was at Highland for three months before the Chamber took it and moved it to the mega ramp dirt bowl.

8pointduck

I clearly stated I didn't have a dog in this fight. I do not work for the C of C.

ESPN had over 75 employee's in LaGrange for the high school football game telecast. That was with an anticipated viewing audience of only 600,000 nationally. They had people down to review/approve the football stadium BEFORE agreeing to telecast the game. ESPN is very specific and demanding - they even specified the brand of water that had to be served to the football teams - the brand of bottled water!

Now, it is my understanding ESPN made the location call on this tourney. We can disagree with it all we want - its a free world. But to suggest that ESPN did not review each site and determine which location suited ESPN the best is kinda silly.

Beside the fisherman, the common denominator in all of this is ESPN. ESPN has been around the country producing their bassmaster shows. They know what works and what doesn't work. I do not have a list of the ESPN criteria but you can bet your bottom dollar if ESPN thought Highland was the BEST place to host this, that's where it would be. I agree with an earlier post...follow the money....ESPN's money. ESPN will produce a 1 hour show, streaming video of weight in on ESPN3.com etc.

In terms of production cost, tv viewership, website presence etc etc this is alot bigger than a high school football game. ESPN wouldn't do the game without reviewing the stadium first. Does anyone really believe, that ESPN, think about ESPN - a national television network - that will have loads of money tied up in production (much more than the high school game) of this tourney would simply have no input as to where to host this thing? With the amount of money and manpower it takes to produce this thing it is simply farfetched to think that ESPN would "take the word or fold under the pressure of any C of C" - ESPN has the most at risk and the most to loose to NOT control the details. ESPN is accountable to a national viewership and the advertisers - at the end of the day they really do not care about what is best for a local C of C. It's about what is best for ESPN.

If you want us to believe that ESPN and the Bassmaster Elite Series (the Super Bowl of bass fishing) are just showing up around tourney time with their fingers crossed that the location will work out sight unseen and based on some recommendation by some little ole Chamber of Commerce is a town of less than 30,000..well that doesn't fly very far either...just say'in.

Soooooooooooo you know a guy who knows a guy. A high school football game.... REALLY? You have given no hard facts to your rhetoric. Since ESPN no longer owns B.A.S.S why would they care? Talk is they are no longer doing the outdoor shows except the BassMaster classic,witch is the Superbowl of bass fishing not the Elite Series. They made a sweetheart deal to make the quick sale on a brand they made no money on and was about to collapse . Here you are talking about ESPN this and ESPN that . :crazy: What about what Jerry,Don,and Jim want.

Last edited:

Dean

Funny thing facts....

Here's a better idea. If you want the actual facts, just call the owner of Highland and ask him. He's always there working. Or search the archives for the Lagrange paper. You'll see the tournament was at Highland for three months before the Chamber took it and moved it to the mega ramp dirt bowl.

I never once disputed the fact that the tourney was set for Highland - did I? My issue was the blanket accusation that 'dirty politics' or 'crooks' at the C of C had something to do with the change in venue. I never once stated that I agreed or disagreed in whole or in part with the change.

That convinced ESPN to rewrite the contract. They never visited the city, they went solely on what the Chamber told them.
Yes Dean, ESPN has been to Highland several times,

:huh: Can't have it both ways - either ESPN has been to Highland and understands the positives and negatives of hosting a tourney at Highland, or they haven't been ...which is it?

Soooooooooooo you know a guy who knows a guy. A high school football game.... REALLY? You have given no hard facts to your retoric.

I would not name names without their expressed approval on an open/public forum where most posters do not use there real name... 8pointduck. But its very clear by some of these posts that the posters are doing exactly as you are questioning me - accusations not based on fact - where are your facts? My point about the high school game (for some sense of comparison) is that from a pure business point(profits, sponsors, advertisers) it was a small project when compared to the Elite Series. ESPN controlled everything - every minor detail - down to each teams water brand (fact) and some would have you believe that ESPN has never visited Pyne Road Park or Highland Marine. The fact is they have. Is it really logical that any for profit business would not throughly vet a venue?

Where are the hard facts that support the rhetoric that the C of C played dirty politics and that ESPN did not evaluate locations and make the final call? All I read were accusations that were/are contrary to the facts.

Since ESPN no longer owns B.A.S.S why would they care?
Are you kidding me? It's all about business. It's all about profits. Ask the folks that pay the bills - the sponsors, the advertizers if they care. I posted earlier that ESPN cares so much - about ALL details - they controlled the brand of water each high school team drank during a televised game - I thought most would agree that water on the sideline of a high school game is miniscle in comparision to the venue used by ESPN. ESPN has a brand, they have to protect and be professional in projection of that brand. One way to protect your brand, your sponsors, your advertizers is to controll all the details. It is beyond me that anyone would think or believe that they wouldn't care......

What about what Jerry,Don,and Jim want.
Its clear to me what they want, just read the copied post about the sale - it's a business - they want to run it as a business. And if part of promoting their BASS brand is exposure on ESPN and ESPN3 website etc - don't you think they would follow the lead of the production company contributing to that exposure?

At the end of the day, I guess some will always believe that moving this was/is some big conspiracy played out by a tiny C of C that lead a major entertainment network around like a dog on a leash:banginghe

8pointduck

Relax, I did not say you were all wrong.I said nothing about the CoC. I really wanted you to come out and say you have some affiliation to ESPN.Directly or indirectly it seems you do.A sponsor maybe? Its all good so lets just all calm down. The one thing that still gets to me is how anyone can say Highland couldn't handle this tourny.Ramada is a supporting sponsor,but they are no where near the launch sight. So why wouldn't the base of operations be at Highland?Hey I'm just asking. We are not talking about some fish camp shack that is on a 1/4 acre of land. What about the boat support teams? Is Mercury, Yamaha, etc. going to set up on the side of Hwy 109 to make repairs if needed? Pyne Park just isn't that big. Yea, I know they been there,done that,and got a drawer full of t shirts. I and it seems a lot of other people still think they could do it better.This has been handled all wrong from logistics to the promotion of the tournament. I want it to be a great event,one to remember and be proud of that an elite tournament was held in Georgia in 2011 .Not some thrown together garbage that might be successful or not.

OH YEA! Since you seem to know so much how about ESPN,What about them saying they no longer are going to broadcast outdoor shows? I read they were only going to do live events. If I read wrong,enlighten me.

Dean

Espn

you are correct, no more 'outdoor' shows as of the end of 2010....Realtree et al have found new network homes on Outdoor Channel, Versus, WFN (World Fishing Network) etc etc...

WPL is one of the smallest, if not the smallest, lake to hold this tourney. Ultimately BASS and any network (ESPN or others in the future) that invest resources that have a ROI for advertisers, sponsors etc call the shots. Certainly the local C of C, community leaders, TCPR, West Point Lake Coalition, local businesses etc etc have a vested interest in the preceived success of the tourney. That latter group understands very clearly that this tourney could add WPL on some 3/4 year rotation. In other words, the main push is to insure this is not a "one and done" event.

Only history will tell - but if the Pyne Rd venue or lack of facilities at Pyne Rd turns out to be a nightmare, then those that ultimetaly 'make the call' have 2 alternatives - don't come back or find a suitable alternative location on WPL. I think we all can agree that for those that work, live and play on or around WPL hope that it is indeed an overwhelming success.

Dean, I think you're assuming ESPN had something to do with the change in venue. Think about it, the tournament was negotiated for months before the decision was made to come to WPL. In those negotiations was the launch site which of course was Highland. They have the facilities, they hold 100 tournaments a year, many much larger than the Elite Series. ESPN was just there at Highland last season, they know exactly what great facilities Highland has. That contract was signed and in effect for three months. Now, what do you think made them change their minds to re-write that contract? The Chamber did it Dean. They convinced ESPN that the city was going to put on a huge show to go along with the tournament. You say you know all about ESPN, right? Then you know how important it is to ESPN for the locals to put on a good show, to show the locals are behind the tournament and excited about it, right? Right. The Chamber told ESPN they were putting on such huge events they would have to shuttle people from Pyne Road to Highland, because, Highland was just to small to handle it. Crooked? You bet. And what about the BBQ ad in the middle of the WPL story in Bassmaster Dean? ESPN have that detail under their control? Just say'in

firefighterfree

I never once disputed the fact that the tourney was set for Highland - did I? My issue was the blanket accusation that 'dirty politics' or 'crooks' at the C of C had something to do with the change in venue. I never once stated that I agreed or disagreed in whole or in part with the change.

:huh: Can't have it both ways - either ESPN has been to Highland and understands the positives and negatives of hosting a tourney at Highland, or they haven't been ...which is it?

I would not name names without their expressed approval on an open/public forum where most posters do not use there real name... 8pointduck. But its very clear by some of these posts that the posters are doing exactly as you are questioning me - accusations not based on fact - where are your facts? My point about the high school game (for some sense of comparison) is that from a pure business point(profits, sponsors, advertisers) it was a small project when compared to the Elite Series. ESPN controlled everything - every minor detail - down to each teams water brand (fact) and some would have you believe that ESPN has never visited Pyne Road Park or Highland Marine. The fact is they have. Is it really logical that any for profit business would not throughly vet a venue?

Where are the hard facts that support the rhetoric that the C of C played dirty politics and that ESPN did not evaluate locations and make the final call? All I read were accusations that were/are contrary to the facts.

Are you kidding me? It's all about business. It's all about profits. Ask the folks that pay the bills - the sponsors, the advertizers if they care. I posted earlier that ESPN cares so much - about ALL details - they controlled the brand of water each high school team drank during a televised game - I thought most would agree that water on the sideline of a high school game is miniscle in comparision to the venue used by ESPN. ESPN has a brand, they have to protect and be professional in projection of that brand. One way to protect your brand, your sponsors, your advertizers is to controll all the details. It is beyond me that anyone would think or believe that they wouldn't care......

Its clear to me what they want, just read the copied post about the sale - it's a business - they want to run it as a business. And if part of promoting their BASS brand is exposure on ESPN and ESPN3 website etc - don't you think they would follow the lead of the production company contributing to that exposure?

At the end of the day, I guess some will always believe that moving this was/is some big conspiracy played out by a tiny C of C that lead a major entertainment network around like a dog on a leash:banginghe

@Dean if the City of Lagrange didn't convince ESPN to withdraw from Highland. Then who did??? Highland is better suited than any other place on the lake. Highland hosts over 250 boat entry tourny annually with facilites to sustain it too. Does payne road have the same facilities??????? The answer is No No No No

firefighterfree

It aint no guessing Dean its a fact. Why else would they pull out????????????
Oh and bang ur head some more too. Politics suck and they always do the small businesses in

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
anyone know how many spectators are at one of these each day?

T