Good stream for brook trout

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is GA the only state that treats its wild trout streams the same as stocked waters?

I don't know, but NC treats them very differently. Here on stocked streams, there is no bait or lure restriction, and you can keep seven fish of any size. On the wild trout streams, it's single-hook artificial lures only, with a four fish, seven inch size limit.

H

Hammer Spank

They are good eating. Right below the speck line you will catch lots of native rainbows and Brown's. I don't eat stock pellet fed trout. On the other hand I might keep a few limits of fish a year or might not keep a one. The good Lord put them here for us to enjoy.

brooks are hardly worth eating size wise and are really having a tough go of it. If you love our natural resources, let them go. I took a fisheries class in my wildlife bio program and learned just how "fast" they reproduce and it aint much. Heavy spring rains can whipe out the entire year's hatch.

Ive watched more than one wild trout fishery get completely destroyed in north ga.

tree cutter 08

Don't worry about me hurting the speck population. About 5 or 6 makes a fine meal fried in a pan over the fire. Last time I had one of these meals was 3 years ago while camped on one of the best speck creeks in northeast ga. Caught and released close to 100 fish that day. About time to go back, I'm hungry just thinking about it.

The mtn man

I keep about a half dozen once every few years, folks like us keeping a few are not the problem , it's those that go up the small creek and keep 80 in a day, don't think it don't happen. As for not being big enough to eat, I dot keep them unless their at lest 8 inches, one creek I fish I regularly have caught 10 inch specs, about the size of your smaller hatchery fish that are stocked, specs are pretty much the only trout I will hardly eat.

jigman29

I like them less than six inches long. You fry them crispy and can eat bones and all. As far as stock fish I would soon starve as eat one. They are nasty and if you grew up eating native trout you won't touch one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like them less than six inches long. You fry them crispy and can eat bones and all. As far as stock fish I would soon starve as eat one. They are nasty and if you grew up eating native trout you won't touch one.

I grew up on native trout and love them. But actually, the rainbows they stock up here now are pretty durn good: firm meat, good flavor. They don't have that "whang" that the doughbellies used to have. The brooks and browns, not so much. They're real soft and mushy and taste funny until they've been in the creek a few weeks.

When I was growing up, every spring we would take a day and pack the whole family up. We'd head to a spot on the headwaters of a good speck creek near here. We'd catch a big mess of speckled trout, dig a big mess of ramps, and cook them all over the fire with fried cornbread and fried taters. Everything just seems to taste so much better when it's cooked out in the woods. Great eats, great memories.

jigman29

I grew up on native trout and love them. But actually, the rainbows they stock up here now are pretty durn good: firm meat, good flavor. They don't have that "whang" that the doughbellies used to have. The brooks and browns, not so much. They're real soft and mushy and taste funny until they've been in the creek a few weeks.

When I was growing up, every spring we would take a day and pack the whole family up. We'd head to a spot on the headwaters of a good speck creek near here. We'd catch a big mess of speckled trout, dig a big mess of ramps, and cook them all over the fire with fried cornbread and fried taters. Everything just seems to taste so much better when it's cooked out in the woods. Great eats, great memories.
We used to do the same thing. You can't beat fresh fish cooked over a fire out in the woods.

The mtn man

You fellers are making me hungry

H

Hammer Spank

I don't hardly ever keep any trout. Even stockers are great if you brine em and smoke em. Otherwise, I am not into it. Most rainbows I catch in the chattahoochee are 11-15" so they've been in a while. The meat isn't pink like a native fish but it's firm and flaky. Not soft and mealy like a fresh stocker. I don't keep the browns because they are stream born but when you occasionally gill hook one, their meat is as pink as salmon.

I used to absolutely love a wild fishery that was just outside of Clayton. It was wonderfully full of wild rainbows, browns, and brooks. Unfortunately a bunch of "fisherman" decided they should start keeping trout out of it. It's never recovered. Those of you who actually fish much know exactly where I'm speaking of.

Killer Kyle

Purchase the book "Trout Fishing in Georgia" by Jimmy Jacobs. It lists a few. But one of the ones he lists isn't a brookie stream. P.M. me and I will tell you which one isn't.
Brook trout streams are high elevation streams that usually only occur above waterfalls.
You do not have to match the hatch. I use almost nothing but an elk hair caddis, or a yellow humpy, with a 10" piece of line tied to the bend of the hook, and a WD-40 nymph below the caddis. We call these "dry dropper rigs". If the water is deep and fast, you can go bigger. I caught one in a deep pool last week on a giant #8 girdle bug with a 4mm tung bead and wrapped in .030 lead wire. I never really thought a brookie would eat it, but sure enough, it landed me one about 7.5".
Being that the water is so small, it can be difficult to use spinning rods. Fly fishing is the easiest way. Don't worry about getting tangled in the rhodo. It happens all day, every day. Don't become frustrated about it. Just accept itbecause it is part of the experience.
You must practice absolute stealth. They can see you a long way off.
Reaching brookie streams usually requires a hike. Not always, but usually.
You really don't need much but a tiny box with a few flies, extra leader, 7x Tippett, forceps, lunch, and water. Maybe a stringer if you want.
I usually keep about 8 brookies per year. I know a creek with a lot of nice ones, so I usually get mine from there. I gut them, and fry on med heat in a skillet in bacon grease. Four minutes each side. Lift the meat with a fork, and pull the spine and ribs out all in one piece. Easy peasy. I believe they are the best eating trout there is. Period. I cook mine with sweet corn bread, eggs, and bacon. And the best part of the fish is the fins. After frying they have the exact texture and taste of potato chips. Lots of us call them "tater chips from heaven".
P.M. me where you live in Gainesville. I can send you or drop off some flies for you to use to get you started.
My choice of leader is 7.5' 7x. 7x Tippett too.
And leave the waders at home. Shorts, T-shirt, and tennis shoes are all you need.

Last edited:

bigchooch58

i have no problem eatin a few brookies /they are really in the salmon family not a trout / here in ga coons and otter just about wiped waters creek out one year along with a winter poacher / so be wise in keeping these pretty little fish /the colors on them are just amazing