Calling Clarks hill catfishers

Fourayball

My dad is coming down from Charlotte tomorrow and wants to do some cat fishing. Where are the catfish and what are you catching them on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two weekends ago, we were doing the best pretty far up the river arms on cut bait. Not much luck for us down toward the main channel, but good cats on upriver.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_04.jpg
    FullSizeRender_04.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 670

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, we know we're good lookin' :rofl:

Klag

If you don't have time or the ability to fish for your own cut bait, you can use shrimp. You can get old or spoiled shimp for free sometimes at your grocery store. The Asian markets have the whole shrimp for very cheap - you can cut the head off and use as chum and put the tails on the hook. Shrimp stays on the hook excellent for casting too.

And if there's stripers or hybrids - they also eat shrimp and you might get one of them too!

ryork

Two weekends ago, we were doing the best pretty far up the river arms on cut bait. Not much luck for us down toward the main channel, but good cats on upriver.

Dang! Would say you did pretty good. I always end up with a flathead by accident fishing for something else, usually stripers. I've got to do a trip just targeting those things. Awesome table fare!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dang! Would say you did pretty good. I always end up with a flathead by accident fishing for something else, usually stripers. I've got to do a trip just targeting those things. Awesome table fare!!

That was the first night, we caught more fish on Saturday night, but not as many big ones. We caught these on jugs, but I love tying into those big flatheads on a rod and reel, too. I'd just as soon catch catfish as any fish out there nowadays. And yep, done had several good feasts out of those. That belly meat on those big flatties is some good stuff.

across the river

That was the first night, we caught more fish on Saturday night, but not as many big ones. We caught these on jugs, but I love tying into those big flatheads on a rod and reel, too. I'd just as soon catch catfish as any fish out there nowadays. And yep, done had several good feasts out of those. That belly meat on those big flatties is some good stuff.

Do you eat the gar? I have heard people say the back meat is good, but I have never tried it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you eat the gar? I have heard people say the back meat is good, but I have never tried it.

Oh yeah! Gar is delicious. I eat every one I can get my hands on. Those backstraps are a nice big piece of firm, boneless white meat. They don't have a bit of a fishy taste or texture, remind me of a more-tender version of gator tail. They're good cut into nuggets and fried like other fish, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and cajun seasoning and grilled; and I really like them blackened. I've made a lot of converts from folks who say gar isn't fit to eat, but have never actually tried one. :)

mjohns22

Oh yeah! Gar is delicious. I eat every one I can get my hands on. Those backstraps are a nice big piece of firm, boneless white meat. They don't have a bit of a fishy taste or texture, remind me of a more-tender version of gator tail. They're good cut into nuggets and fried like other fish, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and cajun seasoning and grilled; and I really like them blackened. I've made a lot of converts from folks who say gar isn't fit to eat, but have never actually tried one. :)
How do you clean them?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How do you clean them?

They're easy once you figure it out, only takes a couple minutes. I chop the head and tail off with a machete or hatchet, then go down the back with a pair of snips or hand pruners, sread the shell apart, and fillet the backstraps out just like you would with a deer.

cotton top

Its evident that you FISH better than you LOOK. Lol Thanks for sharing. BSM