What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

Skinin&Grinin

I found about 40' of galvanized chain rapped aorund three pine trees to make a triangle shape.It was about 20' off the ground I have no idea how it got there or why it would have been put up in the trees like it was.

TAG

Saw a old black man (about 70yrs old) walking through the woods in Wilkes county with a large bag over his shoulder. Followed his trail to a active still. I was new to the club, when I mentioned it to the other members they all knew about it and said the still had been there for years.

mikee

you aint gonna believe this

Well this aint in the woods but this did happen. Back when I was young and enjoyed drinking. Some friends of mine would go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor on Memorial Drive in Decatur. We consumed some adult beverages that night(12 pitchers)the manager Lenny was closing up and said when he was finished cleaning up we would have to leave. So we had a non-drinking member to drive us home. We pilled into the car and drove around back to leave. There was this odd animal. One of them said "Look at that do" well I closed one eye and said thats no dog thats a Llama! He was eating the bushes. We knocked on the door and told Lenny to car the animal control, while we exited stage right. Turns out Dekalb College had a circus across the street and it decided to eat out.

lonesome dove

In the mid 80's I was trout fishing at Wildcat Creek and found a complete skeleton of a small deer on a rock. It may not be that unusual, but it was laying there perfectly (nothing but bone) on a rock that was 30 foot down a cliff. The rock just stuck out like a shelf.

Cromag

In the mid 80's I was trout fishing at Wildcat Creek and found a complete skeleton of a small deer on a rock. It may not be that unusual, but it was laying there perfectly (nothing but bone) on a rock that was 30 foot down a cliff. The rock just stuck out like a shelf.

That is way cool dove, musta been a young'n fell down there and died on impact? Birds and bugs took care of the rest I suppose.

Shook

tray

found a dead bear on tray mtn. though it had been shot but a limb had broke in a oak tree with it on it, it had hit a sharp rock that stuck up about 2 ft. had busted it open in its chest

oldman 45

You know this is part of the wonderful world we hunt in, so may lost treasures lay on the forrest floor, and many wierd freakish things that are produced by nature, we get to enjoy all of these great opportunities and hunt at the same time.

Last year, my sister found a stainless S&W .44 in a creek that ran through a NICE neighborhood in buford. The action was froze up but she called it in and it was indeed reported stolen from a shop a few months before...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What's the weirdest thing found?

I found an ol Spanish lamp, and it was still burning. Now, if ya'll will start telling the whole truth in your stories, I'll blow that lamp out.

I ran across an Indian in the woods once. How many of ya ever done that?
It was in Collier Co. Fl, back in the 1950's and he was a Seminole. He was hunting Eat-cho, the same as I. Spelling isn't correct, but that's how they pronounce DEER.

I found a boot knife in it's sheath on our hunting property last year. The area has lots of briars, so I figure that one of the briars had pulled the clip off the previous owner's boot.

I found an old "corn knife" one time. It looked like a meat cleaver, but my grandfather said that farmers used them to cut down corn stalks.

I've found several unfired rounds of ammo that had fallen out of someone's pocket.

I found a cell phone and case that a fellow rabbit hunter had lost about 2 weeks earlier. We had been all over the property, and he didn't have a clue where he lost it, but I just happened to look down and see it in a thicket. It had rained since then, so the phone was ruined, but he got his case back.

I've found lots of old vehicles that had to have been parked there 30+ years earlier and a few old moonshine stills. I even found a patch of pot plants growing on the backside of my grandfather's place in Habersham County about 15 years ago. I didn't know what it was at the time. I saw pictures later on and realized what I'd seen.

Rich Kaminski

Had a button buck walk right up beside me

And then he wanted to lay down right by my side while I was sitting on the ground.

Rays123

found this out in kansas
j908s7.jpg

Arrowhead95

Not in the woods but, I was taking a friend of mine bass fishing on Lake Okeechobee once. While driving there at o dark thirty we are approaching an overpass to the Florida Turnpike. I'm about 30 yards away from the overpass and a girl comes running towards my truck out of the darkness and she is buck naked. NoI'm going about 40mph and hauling a boat so there ain't no stopping real quick. She crossed the road and was heading for the toll booth last I saw her. I'm sure she wasn't out jogging for her health.

Another time I was heading out to my hunt club just west of Chapel Hill, NC. I was on I-40 heading west. Again O dark thirty. There in the hammer lane was a 8ft wooden step ladder. I pull over and back up and throw it in the truck. It was brand new. Still had labels and straps wrapped around it. Still have it.

Was hunting my club up in NC one time. I had a stand that was about 10' past the fence that borders I-40. It was just getting daylight. The prime time to see deer move and a Highway patrol officer pulled over a car directly behind me. Lights flashing. Not sure what the problem was but ther were there for 40 minutes. Never saw a deer that morning...... Course the HP guy didn't see me sitting in a tree with a gun either.

In the woods I've found old bottles and arrowheads.

Oh yeah. I know you guys don't have them in GA. But we do in FL.

cat2a.jpg

swamphawg

I found a bottle with an "S.O.S" message in it. It was covered in Vaseline or butter. I found it along the bank on the Savannah River when I was about eight years old. Also just this past year, I found an old milk jug in the Savannah River swamp that was dated 1842. No crack or chip or nothing in it. Had the name of an old dairy that used to be in a Augusta years ago that was where the Procter and Gamble plant is for any of you who know the area. The milk was still pretty good. :bounce::bounce:

jeepinitreal

Came across a crashed airplane on Rich Mountain WMA back in the 70's. It had been there a while and the locals all knew it was there but it was sort of freaky to find. The sheriff said a plane had be missing over the area for several days and one morning he was at his kitchen sink and looked out and saw the sun glinting off someting on the mountain. He went to investigate and found the crash site. They removed the bodies and left the plane there. Several years later I came across it. When I came out I asked the sheriff about it and he told me the story.

ya know i found a little sesna 150 in the woods in cherokee county as a boy!! i guess it is commen practice to just leave em where they lie . took a couple small parts , i still got em somewhere

Last edited:

BirdNut

getting ready to hang my climber one day i hear something walking in the leaves and i see an old black man going thru the woods totin' a shotgun. No orange vest and on our club's lease. I whistled at him but he didn't hear me... So i put down my climber and picked up my gun to go a try to find out what he was doing in there. By the time i got to him, he was sqatted down with his back to the big live oak raining acorns that i was planning to watch. He said he was squirrel hunting, his family used to own the land and that he had hunted it all his life. I told him that we had it leased and that it wasn't safe to be walking around with no vest during gun season. The whole time i 'm talking to him i notice he has really bad bo, and i'm thinking, " great, this stinky guy has been spreading his scent all over these woods i'm wanting to hunt this afternoon".

He was wearing a big oversized down jacket that draped down around his legs while he was kneeling against that tree . That is why when i walked up on him i didn't realize that he was bucked down taking a crap.

lol