Dog Hunting in the Swamp

lonewolf247

I'm really starting to miss hunting season about this point! I'm ready for it to start again. I'm just posting a few pics, from this past hunting season. We had a lot of water on the hunting lease due to a wet winter.

Here are a couple of hounds, trying to get a race going....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,455

lonewolf247

Thanks guys. This particular buck in the last pic, was living on a small ridge of overgrown cutover near the middle of a bottom, and was surrounded by water. It was a pretty safe haven for him, and we never could catch him off guard. I know where he's at for next year though. On a dry year we might have a better chance. :cheers:

lonewolf247

A neighboring land owner took this old battle scarred buck last year. We had him on camera in this same bottomland area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,778

ishootlittlebucks

Those pics look pretty much like where I hunt in central Fl, on a wet year anyway. In wet years, if you don't have a dog that can handle the water, you don't have a dog.

lonewolf247

^Yeah you right, on the dogs and water! My dad and brother are the dog owners. Especially my brother these days. Dad is 85, so he doesn't keep as many these days.

My brother raises a lot of dogs, and keeps the cream of the crop. Most of his dogs don't sweat the water, and actually handle it very well.

ishootlittlebucks

Ours do real good in still water.we start having problems when the water is running. Th river swamp where we hunt is only a couple feet deep at most, but it can be 300 yards wide and running. If there not right on his tail, it's usually over. Luckily it's usually not running. We had a few this year that figured out if they stay in the running water and go up stream, they could sling the dogs. I killed one of them in the river, the rest are still around.