Best dog for tracking deer

rvick

Sorry about your dog. I found a mutt puppy starving beside a country road 2 years ago. He appears to be part Staffordshire terrier and something else with wire hair and a long tight curl tail. Black & white. With little training took him with us tracking last year and except for being afraid to swim big creeks and little rivers, he did a pretty good job and recovered 5 deer on his own. He has trouble stopping and baying a wounded deer by himself. Weighs 34 lbs. We have been working on his weak points this summer.

Dennis

I've got a walker dog that will blood trail but she would do better if I could find a way to slow her down any body got any ideas

rvick

I've got a walker dog that will blood trail but she would do better if I could find a way to slow her down any body got any ideas

We always wrapped the tracking lead around their loins in a half hitch when training a dog that wanted to pull hard or was too fast. The dog needs to be taught "whoa" or "easy" anyway. Sometimes running the lead under the dog and pulling it's nose into the the ground helps. I'm guessing this is a running Walker instead of a treeing Walker. May have your hands full on slowing it down, but it can be done. I have a Drahthaar that needs to run out about 20 minutes worth of energy before she will settle in on a track. Good luck.

muzzy17is

If I was gonna have a tracking dog I would like to try a beagle/cur mix. Preferably a Catahoula cur/beagle mix, short legged, medium to hot nose and not super gritty but smart.

Dennis

It is a treeing walker and it too needs to run around first then she will settle down and track but she gets excited and over runs the trail but she has as always found the deer it's just not pretty or quick

EthanJ

My bloodhound is awesome. I never really trained him. Just got him to find me when he was a puppy. His first blood trail was a deer shot in the shoulder with a .223. Very little blood. Trail was about a mile and a half (checked with fitbit) . He stayed on the trail great, never left it. I started to doubt him one time after 30 minutes of no blood but then we found a tiny drop. He has since tracked quite a few deer and done flawlessly. Only problem I've had is he wants to run wide open and can drag you a little when he hits a really strong, fresh blood trail.

Tadpole23

I run a blue pit that's about 105 pounds. Got a heck of a nose on him never tracked anything older than 18 hours but he found that deer no problem. Problem with alot of dog is they won't stop the deer if it breaks out of the bed. A good dog can stop him within a few hundred yards most of the time. If dog just keeps pushing deer it makes for along track. 84% of deer we track are alive when we find them dog does a great job of keeping deer in one spot until we can finish the job.