load question

Mark R

My first muzzleloader is the lyman great plains rifle . 32 inch barrel 1:60 twist . . Just got a traditions mountain rifle . 32 inch barrel 1:48 twist . Goex ffg powder , paper patch ball . Any magic number on the powder ? I been told from 90 to 120 grains . I will play with it on the range but just curious what is popular preference . Would triple f be better ?

Last edited:

Darkhorse

Your going to get a lot of different opinions. What caliber are the rifles?

GeorgiaBob

Mark, even with identical rifles, the "sweet load" may vary. It also makes a difference what range you expect to be shooting.

I was at the range yesterday with an old "Hawkins" mfg half stock, 33" barrel, 1/60 twist, .50cal. that was spreading balls over 6" apart at 50 yards with presoaked wads on top of 90 grains of FFFg. When I backed off to 60 grains, the pattern was 3". (Since I was shooting from pads on a concrete table, I am pretty sure that was more gun than me.)

What will work for you depends on what your new smoke stick likes, not what the instruction book, or I, tell you. As you mentioned, try it out at the range. I would suggest you bench fire at 50 yards in three or four shot groups starting out at 60 grains, and work up in 10 grain increments to about 110 grains. Then you should repeat your best group to confirm that your rifle likes that load. Repeat at 100 yards - you might get a surprise and discover that the best load for 100 is NOT the same as the best for 50!

Good luck, good shooting!

Darkhorse

I would also try .018 pillow ticking for a patch in lieu of the paper patching. The paper doesn't have the integrity of Pillow ticking. That is if your shooting round balls.

Mark R

Thanks for the replies . The pillow ticking is interesting . I will definitely spend some range time . this muzzleloading is addictive . Don't know why , I just like the feel of it . It only takes one shot anyway

Darkhorse

I bought my last ticking at a fabric shop many years ago and I bought several yards. Back then it was all 100% cotton. Today it sometimes contains nylon or synthetics of some kind. You don't want that as it will melt in your bore.
When you find some interesting patch material ask to take a small sliver outside and light it with a match or lighter. If it melts don't buy it. If it burns it's OK.
Better yet check out Track of the Wolf's website. They carry pillow ticking and several thickness's of dense weave cotton patching material. They are a black powder supply company and all their patching material should be good. You could buy a small quantity of .015 to test also. While there pick up some Pure Mink Oil for patch lubricant. This contains no additives like the Mink Oil for leather shoes does.