Old Testament Context

1gr8bldr

The OT is very wordy. One can get lost here. However, if you know what you are looking for, it can be most revealing. As a Christian, knowing Abraham is the father of our faith, we should know the story of Abraham. So much coming from the OT we should know because it is the basis or foundation from which our NT writers wrote. For example, the flood is where the idea of a rapture comes from. The text says "they were caught up above the waters", delivered from the coming wrath. Then we have the tower of Babel. It is a picture of religion, all the denominations. Then we have Abraham called out on a journey of faith, not knowing where God was taking him but just going, likened to our spiritual journey. We see the promises that God gave him that I will be with you, and that ALL nations will be blessed through you. Then we see his failings of faith and God's patience, and ultimately his strengthening of his faith. And God promise of "I will provide" [the sacrifice].
Then we see his people fall into slavery because of a new Pharoah. Then the calling of Moses to lead the people out of slavery. Then we see their failings as they grumbled "is God among us our not". From here, the wordy begins, getting lost is easy, the law, the things, etc. Really hard for me to get any application here and I don't see the NT writers use it either. I assume that those of the Jewish background see it in a way I will never be able to. But what I do see in this "block" of the OT is the callings of those who were supposed to serve the people. In all cases, those called by God to serve the people used their calling as a means of power to have the people serve themselves rather than them serve the people. They all set themselves up as "Gods" no different than the Pharoahs had. David was the better of them however he did the same. It's that nature we inherited from Eve, whom did not want to be under God but be equal to God. Whom can not seem to win against our nature of "selfish ambition, vain conceit" . However, Jesus as opposed to Eve thinking equality with God as something to be grasped, made himself nothing, taking the role of a true servant, he humbled himself and became our ultimate servant of our ultimate need, and became obedient to the scriptures, those of death, even the cruelty of death on a cross....... Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him a name above all names, today you have became my son, to whom every knee shall bow and every tounge confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. This is my OT point I wanted to make. How Jesus could have used his following, his calling, his position to build himself up, to create for himself his own worldly dynasty, to own and possess more than Solomon, yet he did not. He willing became our unrecognized servant whom not only suffered brutality, but suffered the anticipation of knowing it was coming.... but never abandoned his calling.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Another translation opinion at Phillipians 2

Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
5In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature2:6 Or in the form of God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature2:7 Or the form of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father

My view:
Who being made in the likeness of God, as man is, Genesis 5:1, "form" or "likeness", 6, did not consider equality with God something to be had. As Eve had done in the Garden taking the fruit in an effort to be like God. 7, But he made himself nothing, he humbled himself because "he" realized his place, mans place, 8, that being a "man" that man was made to worship God not rival God. ", 9, Therefore God exalted him to the highest place.
Modern views do not work because vs 6, if he was God then he is equal and did not consider equality as something to be had does not work. Vs 7, how would God make himself nothing? vs 8, the context is not that we have observed his appearance as a man but rather the context is his realization of something, his response to it. And he humbled himself from that revelation. Modern day translations have missed the contrast that is assumed here from the OT. The contrast of Eve's disobedience of wanting to be like God, to the contrast of Jesus's realization that man was not created to rival God. Thus God exalted him. If he is God then how be it that he was exalted, how be it that he need be exalted, how be it that he was given this name above all names. OT context portrays man's nature as always wanting to exalt himself. These leaders called to serve God's chosen did not serve but ruled over them. Context is that they made themselves as gods, but not Jesus, then for him to now claim to be God....... It denies OT context. And this will be the dividing lines when he returns, who do people say I am? Something for the apologetics among us to view so that they see the other viewpoints. Not in an attempt to convert anyone, far from it, not my job, but rather as apologetics you have to know the opposing views.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

I regret putting this here, after looking, this is not an apologetic forum as a whole. It would be appreciated if the moderators would relocate it in the Apologetic forum AAA or remove it. Thank you.

1gr8bldr

builder, you said Mary in the garden, Mary's disobedience of wanting to be like God,
Oh, glad you caught that, At least I know someone reads my post. Sorry, I meant Eve's disobedience. Glad you knew it was Eve. It's an important bible context. Thanks for clarification. I will go back and edit . LOL, I had it right in my opening argument and then wrong the next 3 times. LOL, rusty, very rusty