Sheephead Nearshore

Apex Predator

Man, I never can wrap my head around this concept. I catch sheepshead in good numbers year round inshore.

Riplukelee

Me too!!! But without a doubt average size jumps up at least 4 or five inches when you’re catching them offshore.

jtaylor

Thanks Jimmy. We were reef fishing anyway friday just trying to see if we needed to take some fiddlers. We haven't really figured them out inshore or near yet lol.

Apex Predator

I've never caught one over 10# inshore, but have caught many over eight, and a couple pushing 10#. I've caught 15 fish limits that weighed 75# inshore.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Thanks Jimmy. We were reef fishing anyway friday just trying to see if we needed to take some fiddlers. We haven't really figured them out inshore or near yet lol.

The sea bass are so fired up right now on the reefs, it's hard to get to the sheep. Just keep poking at different types of structure. You'll figure out what works for you. Pay close attention to the tides at the reefs, it matters A LOT. It will make the difference in catching 20 and catching 150+lbs.

As far as inshore goes. Jettys, pilings, submerged structure etc. I don't spend a lot of time at it inshore because I like to trout fish inshore. It's also a lot of fun hooking up on a 10lb plus sheepshead in 50ft of water. It reminds me of grouper fishing!

Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Day trip

I can hardly feel a sheepshead bite in 20 feet of water, how do you feel the bite in 50 ft with waves rocking the boat?

smokey30725

I can hardly feel a sheepshead bite in 20 feet of water, how do you feel the bite in 50 ft with waves rocking

It's not as bad as you would think. Just need three ounces of lead and some thirty pound braid. It's awesome brother. You have to try it

I can't wait to schedule my trip with my son! I should have the dates and deposit in the next few days.