Shark teeth on Cumberland Island

lisylis

I'm addicted to hunting shark teeth. Have accumulated around 5K or so since I got the bug a few years ago.

I've never hunted the beach on Cumberland Island but have heard it's decent.

Amelia island, just immediately south of Cumberland, is loaded with teeth. Plus they are about to dredge the channel between the two for the submarine base and dump the spoils on north end of Amelia.

There's several other spots along the SE Coast that are hot spots. I'll send you a PM

I'd love some information on exactly where on Amelia Island we should look if you have any advice. We planned a huge trip this September to Venice Beach (Sharks tooth capital of the world) and we've had to switch to the East Coast due to all of the problems with red tide. This is the first vacation in which my husband gets to do something he enjoys and now he's disappointed that we won't find any, especially the megaladon tooth. Any advice for increasing our chances would be greatly appreciated!

someguyintraffic

I'm addicted to hunting shark teeth. Have accumulated around 5K or so since I got the bug a few years ago.

I've never hunted the beach on Cumberland Island but have heard it's decent.

Amelia island, just immediately south of Cumberland, is loaded with teeth. Plus they are about to dredge the channel between the two for the submarine base and dump the spoils on north end of Amelia.

There's several other spots along the SE Coast that are hot spots. I'll send you a PM

Unreal. Got a few dinosaur teeth in there. Id say it's worse than an addiction.

Last edited:

someguyintraffic

I follow a guy on social media that dives the savannah river area for megs. Finds a bunch. But does so mostly by feel. Says one foot of visibility is a good day. Most days he can't see at all down on the bottom. Finds all kinds of stuff dragging himself along the bottom by his hands and feeling around.

Another group I follow goes 40 miles off shore in NC to some fossil layer ledges. They'll spend a couple of days anchored on site and do multiple dives. They'll come back with 50-100 megs each trip. They, like the first guy, do this as a job. They clean, polish, and sell them on the internet.

I'm strictly surface hunting myself. If it's not on the beach or a dredge pile somewhere I'm just not going to find it.

I've gone to Summerville SC to do a creek dig hoping for a meg. Found 300 teeth in 4 hours of back breaking work digging and sifting. It was fun but too much like work for me to want to do it regularly. Meanwhile my 5 year old was with the rest of the family on Folly beach and found a perfect half of a large meg.

Old timers from where my mom is from in Aiken SC used to tall tales/ stories of shark teeth being found n the Savannah River between Augusta and the coast.

Our brains cant even fathom the depths of time and how the planet was before modern humans and what finds are there.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old timers from where my mom is from in Aiken SC used to tall tales/ stories of shark teeth being found n the Savannah River between Augusta and the coast.

Our brains cant even fathom the depths of time and how the planet was before modern humans and what finds are there.
Shark teeth...….Not Megalodons have been found in Hancock, and Washington counties in the Kaolin Mines

The Kaolin mines run the Fall line which used to be the ancient coast

The fall line runs from Columbus Ga, through Macon, and then Sandersville on to Augusta, and to Aiken S.C

The Fall Line is also the first set of shoals in a river that runs to the ocean...….I.E. The furthest Inland Port!!

someguyintraffic

Shark teeth...….Not Megalodons have been found in Hancock, and Washington counties in the Kaolin Mines

The Kaolin mines run the Fall line which used to be the ancient coast

The fall line runs from Columbus Ga, through Macon, and then Sandersville on to Augusta, and to Aiken S.C

The Fall Line is also the first set of shoals in a river that runs to the ocean...….I.E. The furthest Inland Port!!
Good stuff.

RinggoldGa

The best place to look is anwhere there are shell piles. I was down there three weeks ago and everywhere I went from north end to south end I found shell piles and teeth within them. The north end of the island around Fort Clinch has some larger teeth as it has all the recent dredge stuff pliled up on the beach (just sand with lots of shells in it).

Key is to train your eye to look for the dark shiny black that the fossils have. You'll find a lot of pieces of shiny black bone and other debris. It's the shiny black triangles you are looking for.

Best time is as the tide is going out or coming in and washing all the shell beds. Makes it much easier when they are getting wet as the black really shines. Every time a wave washes a shell bed/pile it's like painting a new picutre and you have teeth covered up and others uncovered. I've found 8-10 in the same spot never moving as I let the waves do the work for me.

It takes a good while to get your eye right and be able to spot them. But once you get it good you can really clean up. I average 15-20 an hour most trips to Amelia.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Sorry, just found this thread. I found a tooth as big as my hand on Cumberland back in the early 1990's, but it wasn't on the beach, it was just off the main trail going to the camp area. IF I can find it, I'll up load a pic. Haven't thought a thing about it till now.

Mexican Squealer

Stevie Wonder could find teeth on Amelia. Once you spot a couple, they will begin to come easy. We find tons on Jekyll, Cumberland and Amelia...and if you can take your boat to any spoil area you have a great chance at Megladon teeth. Good times.